Who has their horses insured?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
For those of you who have your horses insured, what kind of coverage do you have on the horse, where do you have your insurance through, and how much do you pay yearly?

We have farm insurance for everything including trucks, house, barn, tack contents in trailer, horse and livestock trailers and all the horses are insured. You have to shop around to see what kind of package you could be offered for what terms you are looking for because each company has a different rate.

I don't know anything about having a horse boarded somewhere else than your own home, did you check with Gencorp? Your value of the horse is what most insurance companies go by for coverage. Sorry I wasn't much help for you, perhaps someone here would know on this forum.

I used to insure mine with Gencorp and then had some trouble with them. Be SURE and really read your entire policy. One thing I know is if an insurance company can find a way to NOT pay a claim they will. So be sure and read all the fine print.

We have an overall general farm insurance coverage for the property, buildings, and animals for injury or theft with Country Mutual. When we've sent a horse off to show with a trainer we insure it individually with Conaway and Associates.

I presume you're looking for mortality/major medical/loss of use type insurance?

I currently have mortality insurance with a colic surgery rider on it through Wilkins Insurance (equine insurers). I don't insure for the full value, or I guess you could say I self insure the rest of the value. They have a $6,000 minimum insured valued per animal, and you pay 3.2% of whatever the insured value is for the mortality. I've carried major medical in the past with another provider, and did use it, but decided it wasn't worth the additional premium.

Have known several people with Wilkins that have filed mortality claims with Wilkins and been very happy. One friend is awaiting payment. Horse went in for colic surgery, subsequently coliced a second time post surgery while still at the surgical facility and was euthanized. Not sure how much out of pocket she will be, since the colic surgery alone (with recovery) was around $13,000, and she too had the horse underinsured.

I'm not aware of any farm policies offering mortality policies on horses, but learn new things everyday. I've been able to add riders to farm policies in the past that would cover mortality on horses in the event of a lightening strike very inexpensively, but that's all the insurance I was able to scare up on a farm policy.

Good luck.

Just a bit of advise, make sure you carry major medical WITH your mortality insurance.They go hand in hand, if you have not done all that is possible to keep a horse alive, mortality will not pay out, in order to keep a horse alive and well, major medical will cover most illnesses after you pay the deductable. Something else to keep in mind, most equine insurance companies work on a reimbursement type of policy. They pay you back after you submit a receipt from your vet. (I am sure there are those vets that will work with their clients to work in everybody's best interest.)

Good luck,

Carolyn

We have used Smith-Embry Insurance Assoicates, Inc. for several years and have been very pleased with their promptness on paperwork, etc. Their PHone if anyone needs it is 502-493-9911 or email at www.insurehorses.com

The last policy I got which was recently was 3% and that also includes a good colic surgery amount, depending on the amount you are insuring your horse for. They also carry major medical which is great, especially if you are showing or have your horse with a trainer, its just a good policy to carry on them. I also recommend that if you are insuring a breeding stallion to get a loss of use added onto your policy, as its very inexpensive to add it and a good precaution.

I believe weanlings are a bit higher to insure, but you can contact them for quotes. They can also let you know if they have a payment plan option too. Laura Tennill

We have used Smith-Embry Insurance Assoicates, Inc.

We also use Smith-Embry for our insured horses. I believe we're paying about 3.1% and then a couple of special riders on the stallions. I've never had a claim so I can't give an opinion on how they are if you really need them.

We use gencorp. They have been very helpful. We havent had a claim hopefully never will!

I have used Connaway & Associates for MANY years, for my big horses and minis. I have had to make claims on my major medical during that time, never had to claim for mortality. I would say that they were EXTREMELY good about paying on my very large claims (a bad dystocia followed by hospitalization, and that followed by a severe illness in my mare), very fast and super helpful in every way. I always feel like I am getting the very best service from them. I carry both major medical and mortality on quite a few of my horses. Just this week I finally got my mare Stepper's hardship approved, called their office, and they immediately approved an increase in her value to cover the cost of hardshipping. I just feel they are absolutely conscientious and work really hard for their clients.

Their web site is http://www.connaway-associates.com

I have DunIT and Destiny both insured for a good amount of mortality and $7,500 each of major medical with GenCorp. The mortality is about 3% of the insured value and the major medical, I think, is about $250/each. I've been pleased with them. Previously, I insured a filly through another company (cannot now remember... AgriRisk, I think) and she required colic surgery. I had absolutely NO problem with them paying.

Insurance companies get a bad rap, however, I have been an insurance agent (and investment broker) for 13 years. I have never had a problem whatsoever with an insurance company paying what they have agreed to pay and this includes multi-million dollar death claims. All the claims I've been a part of have paid very promptly.

Just do be sure if you insure for only mortality, you realize if the horse should have some kind of medical treatment or surgery and you opt not to do it (regardless of how expensive), the company will not pay a death claim if the horse does die as a result of not receiving the medical help. I have heard of people getting into that bind and I think it's a good idea to always have the major medical rider if you insure your horse for mortality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my event insured for a year. There were other boarders at the barn who had their horses insured. I never had to make a claim. But 2 others in the barn did. They both insured with different companies. They both made claims for colic surgeries. Both companied dropped them after they paid out the claim. Since then I have heard of other companies doin g this too, once you have t make a claim, they get rid of you . . . .

I would be interested in hearing of anyone who has had to make major claims before, and what the result with your policy was after . . .

When my filly had colic surgery years ago, the company paid promptly but upon renewal would have excluded colic surgery from coverage. Since that was what I felt her real risk was and she was no longer showing, I didn't continue to insure her but could have (w/ colic surgery excluded). From a business standpoint, I totally understand why an insurance company would put exclusions on a policy at renewal if they'd had significant claims on the insured horse.

It was a happy ending for us though as the filly is now a 7yo mare
default_smile.png

We have used Smith-Embry Insurance Assoicates, Inc.

We also use Smith-Embry for our insured horses. I believe we're paying about 3.1% and then a couple of special riders on the stallions. I've never had a claim so I can't give an opinion on how they are if you really need them.

Yea I also use Smith-Embry very reasonable. I like Tamara, very nice.

Tamara W. Embry

Smith-Embry Insurance Associates, Inc.

3044 Breckenridge Lane, Suite LL1

Louisville, KY 40220

Phone: (502) 493-9911

Cell: (502) 649-7228

Fax: (502) 493-0070

I use Connaway and Assoc. and did have to make a claim on a horse. It was listed as a respitory infection/distress. The symptoms were treated to prevent further incident, antibiotics, fluids via a cath to prevent dehydration/impactions, treatment for ulcers as a precaution, and a short stay at the animal hospital for observation because she wasn't progressing as quickly as we wanted. She came through great, insurance reimbursed me without any problems. Once the policy is renewed, respitory distress issues will not be covered, but all else will.

They were very nice to deal with, and their agent even called to see if there were any additional bills lagging behind the initial bill that needed to be submitted before he closed the claim. It wasn't as if it were colic surgery, but the bills did total just under $2000 between 3 visits with my local vet then the trip to the animal hospital over a week and a half's time. All was paid but the deductable.

Carolyn

Back