Who Feeds a Bran Mash on Cold Nights?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadow

Reaction score
HI ALL

We are getting a Nor-easter with blizzard like conditions and white out later this afternoon into the night here on the coast of Rhode Island. Just wondering if you feed a "bran mash" on cold raw nights and what you add to it, and how often can you feed it.

Thanks,

Meadow

Feeding a warm bran mash on a cold night makes the owner feel better but doesn't do anything for the horses' comfort/warmth. It is most important to provide warm (or at least unfrozen) water at all times to be sure they drink enough. Bran does not have the laxative properties that everyone thinks it does and really just offers a sudden diet change (another potential cause of colic).

No bran mashes here, not even in the coldest or stormiest of weather. The best thing for horses in nasty weather is a good feed of hay and a drink of warm water, and of course shelter.

I dont feed bran mash but my horses get soaked beet pulp and alfalfa pellets daily (about 1 gallon of water in soaked feed when all is said and done) so it is warm in the winter cold in the summer.

I am not sure if it makes them stay warm but would have to think it is like us eating oatmeal doesnt really warm us up persay but feels warm heading to the tummy anyway
default_wink.png

I have in the turn out heated water and regular water with ice broken out of it most actually prefer the cold water but sometimes it is to cold to keep it ice free so I have both for them

I agree w/ the other posters...no bran mashes here---when it's extra cold, an extra measure of good hay, and fulltime access to water of drinkable temperature. I also REALLY like to give well-soaked, 'soupy'(meaning w/ plenty of water)beet pulp, warm in winter, cool in summer when served. Beet pulp is a kind of fiber that is well-suited to a horse's digestive process/nutritional requirements, when given in proper amounts (not 'overdone'), plus helps with overall hydration, especially important in cold weather.

Margo

No bran mashes but we do feed a warm feed in the winter.

A mixture of horse krunch,beet pulp and a pelleted feed of low protein content, with canola oil and a dry mineral, with hot water.

You won't find any bran on my place either; does more harm than good. However I am with the above posters on feeding beet pulp warm and sloppy during winter. How about replacing that bran with beet pulp? I use it as a third feeding for lunch or a late night snack. Sometimes I add chopped carrots or a handful of oats or alfalfa pellets or just plain. Anyhow it seems to help them stay hydrated, a good colic prevention, and a tasty treat all at the same time.

My big horse Target colicked and needed surgery on a day exactly like today here in southern New England, so I don't know if anyone can be as nervous about a storm like this as I am. But the only feed changes I make are to add warm water to the beet pulp and alfalfa cubes that I normally feed, and provide extra hay. Everyone has access to heated buckets or tubs. I also make sure there is plenty of bedding - even adding shavings to the pellets - and blanket anyone who really needs one. That would mostly be Target, now 24, and almost 9 years after that surgery.

What is so wrong with bran? I do believe keeping a horse hydrated is more important than anything when it comes to winter and colic. More fiber in the diet improves the horse's ability to keep warm, also. Mind you, this is a summation of what I have read. But in speaking to a vet, watered-down bran was something he suggested to help me HYDRATE my stallion who was suffering from dehydration colic...in the winter. We weren't advised to feed him hay, of course, and he wouldn't drink clean, temperate water, either.

It was diluted bran with warm water that saved my horse from colic. It was almost like "horse beer."

Bran is higher in fiber and lower in calories than hay, I believe. It is a good additive if you add it to their diet slowly, like any food. As with anything, when in doubt, consult a vet. But don't be discouraged if a lot of other people don't use it. Soaked beat pulp is an acceptable fiber additive as well, but it is much higher in energy (will add more calories than bran).

Brenda

Last edited by a moderator:
I will admit up until a few years ago I fed bran mash in the bitter cold simply because that is what I was taught. Now after certain artcles I feed warm beetpulp in winter, cool in summer.

I used to add corn for heat. That is what we did years ago. Now they say no corn, cause digestive problems. So now we feed low starch grain, lots of hay and warm beetpulp in winter. And water, water, water. Our vet and nutritionist swears hay keeps them warm.

Bran is very high in phosphorous and used daily can cause a severe calcium to phosphorous imbalance. Used occasionally, probably no real harm, but I prefer to not chance it. If I need to feed anything warm and wet, I use beet pulp and/or alfalfa pellets. If you soak and rinse beet pulp before feeding, you decrease the majority of sugar in it thereby decreasing the calories.
default_smile.png

Mine get warm soaked beet pulp and the really get mad on a cold night if they don't get it. The really don't care that much if it is a warm night (when I soak it with cold water). But, when it is cold I better not be in a hurry and forget the beet pulp. So, I think it does give them a warm feeling.

Little Hooves--yes, as Becky said, bran is very high in phosphorous & when fed regularly can really throw off the calcium/phosphorous ration. This can cause major problems in horses, especially in the young, still growing ones.

I don't even use beet pulp & never have--we've never had a problem with winter colics (or colics at all for that matter). I take warm water out to the horses in the morning. In really cold weather the tubs get dumped at noon & then I take more water out at night; on milder days the tubs stay out & the horses have the cooled off/cold water to drink if they want it through the day, then the tubs get dumped for the night.

Given the number of horses that we have, soaking beet pulp for them isn't an option so it is fortunate that I don't want to feed the stuff anyway! Besides, when the mercury drops to 40 below 0, giving the horses soupy beet pulp isn't a great option--it would be frozen beet pulp very very quickly...

I don't even use beet pulp & never have--we've never had a problem with winter colics (or colics at all for that matter). I take warm water out to the horses in the morning. In really cold weather the tubs get dumped at noon & then I take more water out at night; on milder days the tubs stay out & the horses have the cooled off/cold water to drink if they want it through the day, then the tubs get dumped for the night.
I don't have to dump out any water tubs. My wonderful, helpful Ellie dumps it for me every morning. I am always hauling water.

Katiean--I have some that would do that for me too. Sadly they would dump the tubs much too soon, before the others get to drink, so I tie the tubs to the fence...then some helpful horse goes and mouths the twine, or slops some water out on it, so when I go to empty the tubs the knots are frozen & I can't untie them... just another reason why I really, really HATE winter.

I do not feed Bran here either, only a few horses are on beet pulp over the winter right now...however when it is extra cold I will mix up a bit extra to give to the horses that are on just the grain.

I agree with Lisa...it feels good going down but that is about it
default_smile.png

Yes, I was aware of high phosphorus levels. If you're feeding temporarily for whatever reason, it should be OK, though.

I discovered that the calcium-to-phosphorus ratio is about the same with most cereals or grains, all being much higher in phosphorus. This includes whole oats and whole corn, which have similar ratios (averaging a 1 to 10 ratio), and maybe some of you even feed your horses those grains...there is one exception, though, but first...

There is, as it seems with all things that are not hay, a drawback on beat pulp: next to no vitamins. But, it's true the ratio of calcium/phosphorus is more proportionate. The calcium levels are at 2% and phosphorus is at 5%.

Surprisingly, corn bran may be better to offer your horses if you can find it. Although, it still has no real nutritional value, either, its calcium levels are at 3% and phosphorus is at 5%.

But everyone has a valid reason for avoiding bran. As for me, My daily feeding routine is just orchard grass hay and a mineral salt block. I'll ad something here and there, bran included, when appropriate. And, I still believe, HYDRATION is most important in the winter.

I don't mind if anyone disagrees, though!

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I hope you all don't think I feed a mash for each meal, only as a treat on the real COLD days. I too feed pelleted beetpulp morning and night, warm in the winter, cold in the summer with extra water in the winter. I feed wheat bran, as someone said, to make the owner (me) feel good
default_smile.png
I'm aware of the phos/calcium ratio and thats why I mix my beetpulp into the bran. I also add salt, oats, apples/carrots and lots of hot water so it's soupy. Each horse gets a 2cup measuring scoop of the mixture. As soon as I walk into the barn, the heads go up, I wonder if they can smell it. By the time I'm finished feeding, including their grain, I certainly don't want any mini kisses, they have it all over their lips
default_biggrin.png
I know I'm getting extra water into them which makes me feel better. I've never had a winter colic and I'm not sure why but I'm glad. In the past, I've even made hot iced tea for the couple of horses that don't drink inside and they SUCK it up.

I'm glad I've clipped most of their beards or they would have icecicles hanging from them.

Meadow

Val Carroll

Meadowbrook Miniatures

I gave up bran ages ago (around thirty years) long before the calcium/phosphorous thing was raised.

It leeches vitamins (most notably Vet A) from the horses digestive system and carries it through.

It has no food value of nay note, it has no laxative value.

Bran was used in the days of working horses, when everything, including their digestive systems, was given a rest, once a week!

They still had hay but, on Sunday, the one day of rest normally for a harness horse, they would be given bran in place of their grain, as they would normally be stood in the stall all day, unless they were lucky enough to get a turnout.

As a mash and a hydration device, Beet Pulp is a much better feed to use.

I do not, in winter, remove the extra sugar, as I feel the horses do need it.

My horses get BP every day, mixed in with real, unmolassed, hay/straw chaff, grain and additives.

I can assure you it is eaten long before it freezes, even though we have six inches of snow at the moment!

And I have the perfect answer to horses that turn over water butts....my river!!! I challenge them to turn that over!!

It never freezes, either.

Latest posts

Back