Who do you think has the best miniature "Arabian" face?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaraSheidy

Reaction score
I would love to hear everyone's opinion on what they think is the "best miniature Arab dish face" on miniatures currently for sale or in the show world. Please post pictures and your opinion thanks.
default_smile.png

We're not suppose to post pictures, unless we own the mini ourselves.
default_smile.png

These are a couple of my girls... Chestnut pinto is Bailey - aka Bar B Supreme Attitude. Black Pinto is La Vista Project Runway. Both have lovely dishy arab faces which I LOVE!!!

Baileyyearling.jpg

aspenhead.jpg

I have yet to see a Miniature Horse that truly looks like an Arab. The closest look more like Welsh Ponies than an actual Arab.

Personally, I prefer my small equines to look like a beautiful, well-conformed miniature horse. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Libertys Miss Kentucky. Type that in google, there are two good sites showing her head.

Reactions: KLM
I agree with Libertys Miss Kentucky... Her head would be on the top of my list.

And Susanne, I agree with conformation being top priority, but still love the Arab type head to go with it!
default_smile.png

Your two girls are stunning KLM! Liberty is hard to compete with, I think Aloha MRF Partners Silent Whisper comes pretty close to her.

Well, I love my Phantom babies. They are the nicest heads on foals I have seen, but of course I'm biased
default_smile.png
Their dams have really gorgeous Welsh type heads, and Phantom does not have the Welsh type head at all. His is a little strange, actually, but it crosses so well with those welsh type headed mares. They get those great big, wide set eyes, with tiny little muzzles and nice dish. I only have foal and yearling pictures because we're still only a couple years in owning him. We'll see how their heads are as they mature a little more, but so far they are keeping the refinement. They could use a more defined jaw, but tough to find a something to cross them with that'll add that without bulking up the rest of the head. More important things to work on first anyway.

Colt:

Filly:

Same filly as a yearling-I only have the one with the silly face clip, but I did clip up the forehead so the dish isn't more pronounced, but you'll have to use your imagination for the real deal. She has such a teensy little face, but this doesn't really show how pretty it is. Still, not anywhere close to an arabian, but when I think about what people are asking for when they say an "arabian head", I think of this filly. I need to work on getting pictures next year!

This year's filly:

And the type of mares Phantom is crossed with (all due any day, so excuse how wide they are!)

All have really nice heads, but more Welsh type. Of course these new foals are still more welsh type than arabian, but they are getting closer.

Libertys Miss Kentucky's pro pictures show the most arab head I've seen on a mini. But, looking at her show pictures are a whole different story. Still really stunning, but not what those pro pics depict.

I really like AF Black Majesty. He has a super dished face and puts beautiful Arabian type heads on his foals.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Liberty's Miss Kentucky is a gorgeous horse, but comparing her to an Arabian does her a grave disservice. She is exquisite in her own right, but she does not look like an Arab, and comparing her merely emphasizes those features that are "un"-Arab.

Part of the beauty of an Arabian head is the long, flowing line of the head, the balance between the sculpted jaw and teacup muzzle. What makes an Arabian head so spectacular is not merely the dish, but the rhythmic curves of the silhouette from ears to flared nostrils and delicate muzzle, then continuing through the throatlatch and neck, with top and bottom lines perfectly accentuating one another. The juxtaposition of delicately pricked ears against an exquisite throatlatch is a lesson in lyrical perfection.

A Miniature Horse head simply does not have the real estate to achieve the same effect. I am not in any way saying they are not beautiful, just that to compare them is to equate apples and oranges. They are both beautiful, but it diminishes each to liken them.

There are Minis with "araby" heads, true, and I like to see a dishy head on an animal but there are no heads on any Minis that bear comparison with a true arabian head- it has completely different proportions. What we get, often, is the Sec A Welsh head, and, because it has a dish in it, people mistake it for an "Arab" head and pronounce it as an "Arabian Mini" . Drives me nuts!!

I love the Welsh type heads! Not sure why we have to go to "arabian" when the welsh heads are beautiful in their own right, but I do understand what people are asking for (usually) when they use the term. Melinda has a picture of one of her mares that is really cool. I think it's on the photo board, let me see if I can find it....

ETA: Found it!

I think this is about as close as it gets for a mini.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/uploads/monthly_05_2013/post-17195-0-25452800-1367513679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Shady and to me she's "araby" looking!

You all know her, She's the Prince's dam!

default_smile.png

Ok, this is going to make me look stupid, but what part of the head is the "dishy" part?
default_blush.png

Although there are some very nice heads on minis none of them live up to my expectations of an Arab head - the bulging forehead and lack of jowl just isn't what I would consider labeling "Arab".

As you well know, no question is silly Lisa! If you look at a horse's profile from the side you will see that the 'line' down the front of the face seems to be concave (dished) as against straight or convex (roman nosed). Hope this helps?
default_yes.gif

I think my boys have beautiful heads, but I don't think they look like arabians. I do think that the bigger the eye is, the more you get the "dishy" look. It changes the shape of the face more than a smaller eye will. But I love pretty heads, even if they look like a quarter horses head.

252531_10150283314202474_532890_n.jpg
555190_10150779875492474_505903082_n.jpg

I think those are lovely heads, MM, but no, not arabian- why would they have to be anyway? I just see it as a hyped up marketing ploy, sorry, and I think that many Minis on the market (alliteration I like
default_yes.gif
) have lovely heads. Can they be called Arabian? No, not by any Arab I have ever seen, anyway!

Latest posts

Back