Who cares about looks, titles, and pedigrees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A truely great horse stands on its own and doesnt have to be constantly screamed from the rooftops.
:aktion033: :aktion033:
default_thumbup.gif
: :aktion033: :aktion033:

As in endlessly posting pictures of them to show us how wonderful they are?? :ugh:

I'll come back with my choice.....

Thanks for the refreshing topic, Amanda dear.
default_yes.gif
:
That reply is going to cause evryone to think your tlaking about them ..

Why must evryone make people feel GUILTY ! :ugh:

What a novel idea for a thread Amanda.

A truely great horse stands on its own and doesnt have to be constantly screamed from the rooftops.

Yea, and I'm one of those........and hey, nothing wrong with a little brag for the showers who work so darn hard to accomplish what merits they do, as long as its not in your face non-stop. That makes me hurl.

Boy I couldnt agree more ... a show is just that ... .lets be honest every year there is a whole new 200+ National champions and new Grand champions just like there is always the next football star, cheerleader, Miss America - hunk of the month whatever... but everyone has something that is important to them and "does it" for them and how they choose to express it.

now I have not read this whole thread just the OP but I have to say show or not titles or not every horse here is here cause they mean something to me but there are those special ones for me it was Foxy ravens gelding. They were a team since she was just about 3 he hated me, but loved her and to see what the 2 of them did for and with eachother was always inspiring to me and.. always pretty much reminded me of why I loved horses from the get go it is easy to get caught up in the mine is better then so and so- mine won this, mine has this breeding I think we all do it from time to time but seeing the 2 of them always snapped me into reality I am grateful for him , everything they taught eachother and brought to eachothers lives

foxycostume2.jpg

ravenfoxyshow.jpg

Lisa, love the pictures. I've done the hot dog and I was ketchup and a six year old was mustard but that outfit was so much better than ours. That kind of connection is what I am talking about.

Amanda

I have many times been leary about posting pics, but still do because I am still excited by the littlest things, and I hope it hasn't offended anyone. I'm very proud of my spotted boy, and the work that I've done with him. He's turned out to be such a sweetie, and I just so love that he is all mine! He is the one mini that is here with us, that I would do ANYTHING for, no matter what........no fancy pedigree or show record..........he's still beautiful in my heart
default_wub.png
: !

BTW...........Marty, that pony is BEAUTIFUL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well , at risk of being a repeat picture poster , Sorry I only have four mini's so it's hard not to do. I too have a favorite fiily with no titles , not sure if she has the stuff to show but she has the background . She is the sweetest, most loving , do anything with me girl I have. I wouldn't part with any of them but especially her , we fought hard for two months to save her life and I am so thankful to have her with us and I am proud to be able to call her mine, Sophie
default_wub.png
:

100_32862.jpg

Here's my contribution to the thread! I have a big horse that will never leave me, but here's my favorite mini, Bob:

BobRPTrottingRightCropped.jpg

He was our first mini, and the one that started it all. He'll do anything I ask him to, he's very friendly and loves attention which is good since he normally gets a lot when we are out in public, great with kids, etc. Bob's just the BEST! We bought him as a yearling for my brother, but he's been my horse for a long time. He's now 8 years old. I currently only have one mini at my house (the rest are at my mother's), and you guessed it, it is my Bobbers, LOL!

Yea, and I'm one of those........and hey, nothing wrong with a little brag for the showers who work so darn hard to accomplish what merits they do, as long as its not in your face non-stop. That makes me hurl.
:aktion033: :aktion033: Same here!! (This is in no means directed to anyone inparticular) Don't get me wrong, I love hearing about how people and their horses do in the ring and of course they have the right to brag and be proud, but we don't need the whole list of accomplishments thrown in our faces time and time again on every post that the horse is included on!!

Wholeheartedly agree again... You can be proud of your wins or what not, but truthfully, it isn't those fading ribbons, tarnishing trophies or 'titles', that make a horse... For me a great horse isn't the one that was Champion time after time, it's the one that stands there with his/her head over your shoulder and lets you shed tears into his/her mane or the one that whenever he sees you he lets out a loud nicker and comes galloping to the fence to greet you, that horse in my eyes is a great one...

As in endlessly posting pictures of them to show us how wonderful they are??
Gonna have to agree with this one too.. Yeah I'm guilty of posting LOTS of pictures (I'm sure some of you are sick of seeing my 'au natural' horses) but the ones that really irk me are the ones who find it necessary to constantly post the SAME pictures! No matter the post or topic it's always the same exact picture. Ot's pretty sad that for some of the horses that have been posted on here I can read the name and have the picture of the horse in my mind before I even scroll down for the picture because it's been posted so many times..

ugh...... Off to put on my flame suit...

Doing my best to ignore the above comments .....although i have to agree with the last two statements. I love to show, do it for my own personal reasons, and i think we all like to show off our horses and their accomplishments, now people put allot of money time and effort into getting to where they are and i feel some earn a little respect but gloating and bragging is a whole different road. To be proud is one thing, to gloat is another.

Anywho ....seeing how my ignoring of any comments went so well lol ..

Coco is my 'forever horse' even though over these past couple months i considered letting him go to a home where he would have tons of kids (he loves kids ...and shoes
default_wub.png
default_smile.png
to play with and love on him and spend 24/7 with him. I just get so cought up in the shows, training, conditioning and all that stuff that goes with the show horses and then getting this breeding program together, where does a pet gelding fit in in those plans?

He is the love of my life, my first real horse ..well the first one i could call 'mine' anyhow. I've had him since 04' (?) i think, he is just my little amish mini that is so dearly close to my heart. I dont think i can descibe the feeling when he just looks up at you with those big blue eyes, ahh heaven on earth
default_wub.png
:. Show horses are one thing, but that little Pinto just gets my heart going. I get teary eyed thinking about how much i do love him. He did so much for me, he got me to where i am today actually. If you had told me 5 years ago that i would be sitting here on a miniature horse forum talking about horses and reading about horse nutrition and spending 24/7 out in the barn and counting down days to congress, carrying down hay from the bay, cleaning buckets, training horses ...SHOWING horses i would have prob lauphed. Where did time go? Well Coco kind of made me pick up and go, he was the one that started it all.

God is he the most lazy little thing on this planet, he was trained to drive but its not his thing ..he doesnt enjoy it. Who am i to force him to do something he truly does not enjoy? No more driving. He spends is days out with the horses, was my babysitter for Narko and now he is a pasture budy with my stallion Pressy keeping him company. Coco is the horse i use to introduce new horses, he is not intimidating nor will he challange other horses ..i trust him with anyone. I'm not barn blind however, he has some little things i wish i could change but he is Coco, take it or leave it right? We'll i'll take it
default_smile.png

He's the one that walks around and knocks all the jumps down right after i set them up, unties shoe laces, somehow opens up gaits, unties the lead, must carry the shank in his mouth when on lead, decides when its time to move and stand (hehe add stubborn to the list along with lazy). Yes i could go ahead and train him, sure could, but no ...he does his job, he is my love bug and he is good at it. That is all i will ever ask of him too.

People should post what they darn well please as long it's not hurting anyone or breaking any Forum rules. And the only thing I see here are adults behaving badly. Very transparent too, I might add.
Carol, I agree with you 100% on the bad behavior and transparency! Especially the transparency.

I have to add, heaven forbid if someone who is thinking about getting a mini or two, or is just new to minis comes here and sees this kind of childish/high school behavior. Might make them think twice about miniatures, is this common behavior from mini people, or just this forum, will they be subject to this kind of treatment if they do well with their animals, do they really want to deal with this is the kind of "stuff"? I can see how this would be benefical to the breed.

People should post what they darn well please as long it's not hurting anyone or breaking any Forum rules. And the only thing I see here are adults behaving badly. Very transparent too, I might add.
Carol, I agree with you 100% on the bad behavior and transparency! Especially the transparency.
Makes Sense.
default_smile.png

My post isn't going to be long or drawn out......

Just seems to me instead of going and and on about something that don't really matter;

-as if you don't want to read the accomplishments of any horse on any post all you have to do is scroll down and not read once you see a picture, even if you opened the message that doesn't relate to that horse if it's on there, just skip past it, quite simple actually to do.

-if you don't want to read a certain person's response just skip past it

- I see most of the response deal with showing/show pics/show results, but again I don't see posting pics of them if the poster so pleases after every show if they want...........really no different than posting one of those, what color is this horse, another post what color now......another after I clipped her, another a few weeks later.......still same horse, still same color, just one with fuzzies, one without; or how many times did a post come up showing that gray dressage mare doing her routine? did we all get bent out of shape for people posting it multiple times, I know I have seen it on here more than I can count, did it bother me? no...open the post see what it is, close it out.....(and I AM NOT saying those posts are bad, don't try to read or make it into anything other than what I said)

It's an open forum, and that's part of why it's so wonderful, we can post whatever we feel like as long as it is adheres to the forum rules.

I can think of a tons of other things to do other and worry about if someone posts to much, if someone posts this or that, what someone doesn't, if someone posts a pic once, if they post it ten times, or the people who come to read and never post, or only post when something gets really heated.

I know I don't have enough hours in the day to worry about any of the above........as my life goes on with or without all the drama that tends to follow in the footsteps.

I agree life is to short. Everyone comes to this forum for there own reasons some have more then one reason :)

Some strictly to learn, some strictly to share - some strictly to make friends- some to network some strictly to market or create a buzz- some to do all of the above

Sometimes the networking, marketing works sometimes it doesnt but that is the way it is with everything in life what grabs someones attention might turn off someone else you cant please everyone we all know that.

There are posts I either just chuckle at and move on or just keep right on going slightly annoyed and move on depending on my mood and I have just discovered the block someones posts button while messing around on my controls page havent really used it yet but that is always an option

most of us have been guilty of participating in drama every now and then no offense to the men on the board but get this many women togther on a regular basis and it happens lol

But all of that aside... to the OP thanks for starting the topic cause it gave me a chance to get back to basics - something I have really been trying very hard to do lately with everything from showing , my breeding program, advertising, marketing and why I am doing this in the first place l

Holy Moley! How did this thread that started for the purpose of giving spotlight to those horses who don't have titles, pedigrees or looks come to where it is now? :no: Is someone trying to grab the attention away? I think it was a neat thread that could have been different from the usual of "look at my beautiful, titled, pedigreed horse. " I see nothing wrong with having a thread for the mini who doesn't get the spotlight everyday. Can't everyone be given their time without the thread going haywire or off on some tangent? :eek: Mary

Well- I have to think Long and hard it came down to the new comer in the barn. He kind of has all our hearts. He is the funniest little thief- and he is teaching the others! He reads people children or adults and adjust to them. He will make sure he corrects my wrongs one way or another :bgrin Kisses are expected and he has such a good sense of humor- I swear he watches us when he is out until we do something that he thinks is silly and then walks away laughing :bgrin

Heres Bandit

100_1280.jpg

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

When I showed my husband this thread over coffee this morning, along with other comments, he wanted to show HIS favorite horse. This is Eclipse. Couldn't brag on his pedigree if I wanted to as he is unregistered. Eclipse came home in November 1999. He was a weanling at the time and while he wasn't our first horse, he was our first mini, the first foal we raised, and also the first horse we had day to day care of as our full size horses were always boarded.

We grew Eclipse up well and learned a lot along the way. Eclipse is such a gentle soul and he has often been the first friend for foals when we've brought weanlings home. A very patient and kind horse.

He's also a blast to drive. Very energetic and extremely animated but sane and easy to control. As we drive Eclipse "just for fun", I canter him around the field and just have fun with him. He's got no ribbons, no known pedigree and isn't the most gorgeous horse around, but he's one that is here to stay and he is Harvey's Favorite.

eclipse112101-4.jpg

Born and raised in the city, but a country kid at heart.

I grew up in southwest Portland, Oregon and lived very near to a wonderful facility by the name of Alpenrose Dairy. Alpenrose is a working dairy in the middle of town. Alpenrose Dairy stands as a reminder of quieter days. During the 1960's and 70's, the dairy maintained a herd of up to 100 Shetland Ponies. This is where my sisters and I gained our love for the Shetland Pony and invaluable experience in equine knowledge. Alpenrose only had one registered Shetland, but those ponies I hold very dear to my heart as they taught us so much.

One Sunday afternoon, our parents took us to the dairy to see the animals. Some school friends were riding the ponies whose father was employed at the dairy to milk the cows. They invited us to ride with them that day, and as they say, the rest is history. For 15 years, Kathy and I went to the dairy after school and on weekends to work with the Alpenrose ponies.

While at Alpenrose, we participated in various parades - driving teams of Shetland Ponies which included the Portland Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade. Each year, Alpenrose would go to the Lloyd Center Shopping Mall as part of Lloyd Center's anniversary celebration. Kathy and I would help participate in driving the ponies in a circus parade through the mall. We also participated in the Alpenrose Americana Pageants that were held over the 4th of July - a story of American history.

In the 1960's and 70's, Alpenrose sponsored the largest all Shetland Pony show in the country, the Alpenrose Shodeo. People traveled from as far away as Michigan (The Taylor and Houston Families) to show at this event. It was at this show that we exhibited our first Shetland Ponies. Through the years at Alpenrose, Kathy and I rode the ponies in timed gaming events, showed teams of 2 and 4 pony hitches (learned to drive 6 and 8 pony hitches). We even raced teams of ponies on chariots .

My favorite Alpenrose pony was a little mare named Billie Joe. She was a little silver bay, and she couldn't have been more than 38 inches tall. Billie was born in 1968. I trained her to ride, and when I out grew her, to drive. That little pony was my soul mate. She wasn't the prettiest or the fastest, but she was my Billie Joe. And, man, could that little pony buck. I hit the ground more times than I could count. When out in the field, I could call her, and she would always come no matter what she was doing. I never showed Billie, but that didn't make her any less.

I have had the honor of being able to work with some of the greatest Shetland Ponies and Miniature Horses ever shown - Silver Blazer, Knight's Captain Courageous, Scott Creek Fancy Pants, Celebration's Tennessee Talent to name a few. But, when it is all said and done, the Alpenrose Shetland ponies, especially my Billie Joe, I hold closest to my heart.

Here's Kathy driving a 4 pony hitch through Lloyd Center:

lloydcenter.jpg

Here's me, riding an Alpenrose Shetland, Ghost. We were getting ready for Circus on Parade at one of the Dairy events, and I was going to lead the parade caring the American Flag on Ghost:

ghost.jpg

Kathy, with my Dad, doing the pattern required in the Working 4's hitch class during a show held at Alpenrose. Darky and TV in the lead, Sasha and Snickers in the wheel:

sorrels.jpg

Jean

Ha ha I just love you story Jean very cute
default_yes.gif
: .

This is my only horse, but even if I had more I can't imagine haveing anymore fun with a registered, pedigreed, champion. (No offence to anyone, showing's fine just not my thing) Banner & I met when Mom came home with dad after delivering a cattle hutch to a lady who was going to use it for one of her miniature horse stallions. Well while mom was there, she went on a tour of the farm, and saw all the mini's and big horses, and other animals there (this lady took in rescue's
default_wub.png
: ) While on the tour she told my mom which horses she was looking for good homes for and where they came from. When mom came home she said theres a lady who's selling a miniature yearling colt for only $100 dollars, Are you interested? At the time I wasn't really sure...but we went to see him anyway :lol: went we got there Sheryl (I believe that's her name...
default_unsure.png
: ) showed me where he was and I climbed into the roundpen with him. He looked up at me & was like'whatever I'm going back to eat hay'
default_rolleyes.gif
: So she gave me a brush, halter, & leadrope and I brushed him first then tried to get him to lead, which he was pretty good at. Shery said that he's from Iowa and that she could get papers if we wanted them. But even then I figured 'naaaah you can't drive papers' She had someone picking up a mare from out there and they saw that he was in a pasture running with other stallions and was getting beat up, Banner wasn't so tough back then :bgrin . So he asked Sheryl if she wanted to buy him too, and she did for $100 .

At first I still wasn't sure if I wanted to buy him, I had the money but he's white! (to me the naive person I was back then) I had always dreamed of having a horse, a bay, or a chestnut, or maybe even a black. I had never once considered a white horse, with ice blues eyes....
default_wacko.png
: not soft brown ones, but crazy blue
default_poke.gif
: . But he had a nice tempermant & by looking around at other horses online & such I figured, you can't really get a better deal then $100. He even has good conformation. So he was delivered a few weeks later, in a HUGE trailer they used to trailer thier clydesdales!!! :new_shocked: Yup Banner traveled to his new home in style :xbud: Once here, I offered him a carrot to try to get him off the trailer.... Banner didn't know what a carrot was so he was like 'Why are you putting this orange thing in my mouth, I do not like this '. But eventually we did get him off... I think grass did the job.

It seems like it's been longer then 2 years but here's Banner back when he was around a year and half and I didn't know what he was like lol (This is the day we got him home actually)

264478360.jpg

Yes I know he was a little skinny, he needed to wormed and a liitle bit of grain, this is no fault of Sheryl though as she only had him for a little bit.

He learns incredibly quickly & has been progessing nicely in his driving. He's since been gelded, but is still a handful at times and I wouldn't want him any other way. I wish I could say I had picture of him driving in his new bit but he's now in the barn getting better since on friday he came up from the pasture gimpy....
default_giveup.gif
: He's waaaaaay ready to go back to his early morning workouts... He's not really happy unless he's doing something
default_wub.png
: hopefully tuesday, & then you'll see a post with him ground driving (he was hitched last fall but I want to teach & re-teach some things to him)
default_smile.png

Anywho this is him now:

Hanging in the barn-

255761058.jpg

Watching something way more interesting then me (most likely anything)
default_whistling.gif
: -

255754613.jpg

Ok this is a picture from '06-'07 winter so you can see he did have a nice mane.... then it got hot and I'ld rather have him cooler and look like a rockstar anyway :flirt: So I cut a lot off lol... at least I cut it even...

264268486.jpg

But yeah that is my horse that was never in my dreams until now lol. These pictures aren't the best but they'll do, I'll try and get some that show he's build better when I do driving shot & stuff. He's sorta built like a spainish mustang, just like his history lol, he's just all mixed up.
default_wacko.png
: But we love him anyway
default_yes.gif

Ash :saludando: I love hearing about these guys who aren't usually in the spotlight :risa8: Keep them coming!

P.S. Marty, I love your pony & his description, and thank you for taking the time to scan that second picture in
default_wub.png

oh what a shame...I love reading about everyones accomplishments and brag posts. I agree with what Erica said though...Anyhow thats not what this post is about.....So YEAH!!!

I have my mare and she's the one I would keep through it all. My mom even put her up for sale without telling me in 2005. Thank god I had a great lady who protected my lil one. She's helped me through it all my lil Millie. She doesn't have the best pedigree and she surely isn't the best looking by all means but I love her all the same. Either way..

Well in reality, none of my horses have "show careers" or long pedigrees all though a couple of them DO have some names in their bloodlines. My favorite, never gonna go anywhere else, is Savannah. She was our first foal born here and is my best buddy horse. She does anything I ask of her and will try just about anything too.

toot06.jpg

Latest posts

Back