Who cares about looks, titles, and pedigrees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
One of my boys is a seven year old gelding. I never kept his papers. He's never been to a national show. Lots of people joke that he's a donkey and sometimes depending on when he has been clipped looks like the donkey on Shrek. I can take it :bgrin as I've called him a donkey myself. There's nothing wrong with donkeys but I know some people would get highly offended. Looks don't matter. We have a great bond. We do show but it's open mini shows and if we come in last or don't place at all that's quite all right (especially in halter as he shouldn't
default_smile.png
) We get along great and can pretty much tell each others emotions and how we are feeling. He jumps, drives, does showmanship and obstacle. He sucks at obstacle but we try. He's been through some trauma and we have been able to reconnect. He will be the boy I always have if I had to limit to just one and I have 3. I have one that one day will be able to basically do it all or at least it seems she is going to and is registered but to choose it would be Lil Bits my gelding. Here is a picture of him. He had a habit of putting his head through wood fences to get at the grass on the other side so lost alot of his mane and I pretty much clipped it off. He's still gorgeous to me and it has nothing to do with looks. Show "the one" in your life. Titles, pedigrees, and registered names not necessary.

1-31-2007-71.jpg

I know the shafts are not correct in this picture. They have been corrected since this photo was taken.
default_smile.png

Amanda

Last edited by a moderator:
All of our horses are like that, yes we have registered ones and we have unregistered ones, they're all beautiful and 'perfect' in our eyes but in others maybe not.. None of them have stood top of a class in the showring and heck many of them haven't even stood one foot in a showring.. You can see them all on our website (won't bore you all with pictures lol)

and ps.. I think your boy is GORGEOUS as well!!

Nice thread!! you know something else i have to add. There are a lot of people out there with awesome horses who cant afford to send them to a trainer or nationals, or dont have the time to do it themselves or just dont have the inclination to show. Doesnt mean their horses are unworthy, badly conformed or less loved. A truely great horse stands on its own and doesnt have to be constantly screamed from the rooftops.

one of my biggest loves (i have so many it would be hard to list them all) is patches. she doesnt have a fancy pedigree and has faults but she has more personality then any horse i have ever met. And shes so smart its scarey sometimes

patches comforting jet when he came and treating him like he was her own

patchjet.JPG

a rescue that so touched my soul i will never foget her till my dying day. We found this mare standing in manure taller then she was. This little mare was in so much pain but still would stand to let her foal nurse even though the pain had to be killing her. (her hooves had literally rotted off and she had horrible back problems from being a minimal expression dwarf) I could see the pain and the love in her eyes and one of my saddest days was letting her go. Okay tearing up just thinking about her again. I will always admire the strength and love this mare showed

My beloved Mona and her foal hope

mona.jpg

monahoof.jpg

mona-lilbit.jpg

What a novel idea for a thread Amanda.

There are a lot of people out there with awesome horses who cant afford to send them to a trainer or nationals, or dont have the time to do it themselves or just dont have the inclination to show. Doesnt mean their horses are unworthy, badly conformed or less loved. A truely great horse stands on its own and doesnt have to be constantly screamed from the rooftops.

Perfect Kay, but are you determined to get me started now on the subject?

nationals, or dont have the time to do it themselves or just dont have the inclination to show.

Yea, and I'm one of those........and hey, nothing wrong with a little brag for the showers who work so darn hard to accomplish what merits they do, as long as its not in your face non-stop. That makes me hurl. For me, I've had just as many bad, awful, failures as nice very good accomplishments in the show ring way back when but I did it on my own and didn't fly in on the coat tails of anyone else. That's the same way it still is. My breeding may or may not stand on it's own Kay Kay with or without a show but I'm way too humble to be screaming from any rooftops even if I were a success, which won't happen.

So here is my offering:

This is my pony Frosty who I adored. Purchased for seventy five cents. He was a great pony with a bad tude. He was smart, highly trained, and any kid who showed him won a bunch of ribbons. He had the most gawd awful conformation: the body of a watermelon, the front end of a clydesdale, a tiny head and a big old crest. He could do anything a big horse could do and many times better.

BoysandFrosty.jpg

I believe the most important animal bond is that between a horse and it's owner. If you have a horse that will do anything for you, no matter what, then placings don't mean squat. Yes, I love my fancy ribbons hanging on my walls and I love my bragging rights, but when it's all said done there's only one horse I'd lay down and die for. And her name is Rosie.
default_wub.png
: There may come a day when the others are shipped off to new owners, but Rosie will never leave.

Now, my heart is big enough for more!
default_wink.png
: Texaco is quickly making his mark with me.

At different times, honestly, each of mine is "the one". Here's my favorite. Sorry if he's also got a pedigree, looks, and ribbons... I try and not hold such things against my horses. His heart is amazing. He also has the cutest way of putting his chin on the stall wall when I go in to turn out another horse. He expects a kiss on the nose, and gets it. If I am outside, his eyes are always on me and he always wants to "be the one" I am doing something with -- no matter if it's petting, grooming, lunging, or whatever. He wants to be "the one". This is a horse I would love no matter if you painted him plain brown, made his butt 3" taller than his withers, and gave him a third ear.

BACARDI%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20136.jpg

A truely great horse stands on its own and doesnt have to be constantly screamed from the rooftops.
:aktion033: :aktion033:
default_thumbup.gif
: :aktion033: :aktion033:

As in endlessly posting pictures of them to show us how wonderful they are?? :ugh:

I'll come back with my choice.....

Thanks for the refreshing topic, Amanda dear.
default_yes.gif
:
And, I can't help but feel this original thread is aimed at me. Based on the comments on another thread. If you'd like to think all I care about are ribbons, be my guest. My friends and more importantly, my horses, know otherwise.

I've spent a lot of time, a lot of thought, and a lot of money picking out the horses I feel are the best suited to accomplish my goals and part of what came along as a result is what they've been able to accomplish in the ring to date. The way they look, and the names behind them, are things I do feel some pride about. They don't just roll out of their stalls looking as they do in some of the pictures I'm proud of. Shouldn't I feel proud?

And if anyone chooses to hold my pride in my horses against me, then that is their problem. I surely don't think any less of someone who just keeps minis as pets. In fact, I've said a number of times "pet" is a very important job and if I were a horse, I sure wouldn't mind being "just" a pet. I've never looked down on owners who don't show or choose not to have show type horses. Yet when someone chooses to have show horses, and experiences some success at it, some want to stretch having beautiful, successful show horses you're proud of into being a less loving owner? Um... Whatever.

Besides, Karla, I'm truly surprised that the person who has honest to God posted more pictures in the forum than anyone else I know would be exasperated that someone else has posted a few.

gosh I dont think anyone here would say you shouldnt be proud Jill. I didnt start this post so I cant speak for Amanda but not everything is about you and your horses. I dont mean that sarcastically! I just mean it in simple black and white.

Since your brought up the other post---Is it boastful to proclaim that you have the most refined horse on a thread? It is arrogant to imply that other horses on that thread are not refined and yours are.? well yes it is. So if you make statements like that you kinda have to be prepared to take some heat or know that you might cause hurt feelings. Your remarks didnt hurt my feelings at all but I can understand why others would be.

Im proud of our accomplishments as a small farm, but I remain humble and always will be humble. I know in an instant it can all be taken away. I also know this for sure. I am a very blessed and thankful woman to have these horses in my life.

Anyway lets keep posting those great horses or just go kiss the ones in the pasture. I see a little nose out in the pasture just waiting for me to plant a big ole kiss on it
default_yes.gif
:

gosh I dont think anyone here would say you shouldnt be proud Jill. I didnt start this post so I cant speak for Amanda but not everything is about you and your horses. I dont mean that sarcastically! I just mean it in simple black and white.

Since your brought up the other post---Is it boastful to proclaim that you have the most refined horse on a thread? It is arrogant to imply that other horses on that thread are not refined and yours are.? well yes it is. So if you make statements like that you kinda have to be prepared to take some heat or know that you might cause hurt feelings. Your remarks didnt hurt my feelings at all but I can understand why others would be.

Im proud of our accomplishments as a small farm, but I remain humble and always will be humble. I know in an instant it can all be taken away. I also know this for sure. I am a very blessed and thankful woman to have these horses in my life.

Anyway lets keep posting those great horses or just go kiss the ones in the pasture. I see a little nose out in the pasture just waiting for me to plant a big ole kiss on it
default_yes.gif
:
Go reread what I said Kay. You generally seem to find issues with much of what I say, however, what I said was in response to Amanda thinking my filly is not fine boned so she did choose to single one of my horses out. What I said was:

"Well, I guess part of it is all in the eye of the beholder. Sunny, who I hold out as a qh not fine bone is that in my opinion. I think the finest horse I showed, and one of the finest shown on this thread in terms of "fine boned" is the first filly, Flirt, that I posted"

So, to make it more clear "the finest horse I showed" and "ONE of the finested shown on this thread". If you are going to "quote" someone, at least get it right. Anytime a person looks for a reason to be offended, the person will it find just as you apparently did. However, what can be offensive when someone says essentially "That's the finest horse I shared, and I feel one of the finest on the thread". Where is that boasting? Especially, for real, I'm the only one who held out an example of her own horse saying this is not a fine boned horse (Sunny). Fine boned is not one of my biggest reasons to be proud of a horse...

While I don't think everything is about me, given what's gone on and been said today, I'm not going to not stand up for myself.

Humble is fine, Kay. I'm not sure what you have to be humble, or proud, about in terms of horses, but don't fault me for sharing the results of hard work and dreams realized.

Jill, you keep posting pictures of your beautiful horses, I enjoy seeing them and if I don't want to look at them, sorry but I am a big girl and know how to scroll by. I would MUCH rather look at your horses a million times than read negative comments by a few on here time and time again. Especially from one who has nothing better to do than get digs in at people all the time. Humble isn't being negative and attacking people, humble is being pleased with what you have and at the same time being happy for others.

Marty, I love that picture!!!! :aktion033:

Txminipinto, I completely understand what you are saying. Do you have a picture?

Amanda

Jill, you keep posting pictures of your beautiful horses, I enjoy seeing them and if I don't want to look at them, sorry but I am a big girl and know how to scroll by. I would MUCH rather look at your horses a million times than read negative comments by a few on here time and time again. Especially from one who has nothing better to do than get digs in at people all the time. Humble isn't being negative and attacking people, humble is being pleased with what you have and at the same time being happy for others.

Right on!

People should post what they darn well please as long it's not hurting anyone or breaking any Forum rules. And the only thing I see here are adults behaving badly. Very transparent too, I might add.
default_wacko.png
:

OK yalls just shut up now and take another look at my pony

because I love this picture and had to dig it out and scan it

all over again. And Frosty was a big show off! This is Frosty

and Dan, the way it used to be when things were good and right.

frostydan.jpg

More pictures please! There must be more pictures to add to this thread! Come on people.

Why do you guys get so Mad about people posting pictures... I know I post laot and I'm scared to answer to these posts because people say things like they did to Karla.. Like its so upsetting people care so much ! Actually makes me feel regretful for posting photos.... Sigh* why are people like this
default_sad.png
!
default_wub.png
: you all though even despite your flaws! .. I know I have many
default_smile.png
But no ones going to be perfect and some people just liek to point out others flaws which is the main problem here be happy for how much others love their horses!

Devon, I hope you know I enjoy seeing your pictures! I make a point to check them out each time I see one of your threads
default_smile.png

Meet Sage! Our very first Mini!!!!

Way back in '88 my husband & I were looking a riding horse. I had a horse as a child, and since we recently bought a small farm, I wanted to get a horse. Just by chance we heard about a miniature horse for sale. We had never seen one..... soooooo out of curiosity we went to check it out.

When they brought Sage out to greet us….. we were immediately “hooked on Mini’s”. We bought him and made arrangements to take him “home”. Sage was our first mini, but he was only the first of many more to come. (I guess we could say he is our “foundation gelding” LOL :bgrin )

He is almost 20 now, but just as special as ever…… even though he is now one of fourteen.

Sage.JPG

Jill, I love seeing your pictures and can practically feel the warmth of your pride through the screen and know that many others feel that way. *HUGS* And Devon, it's the same with you and you have done sooooo much to improve and everyone sees it through your posts and pictures so dont feel that way *More HUGS*

Here is my boy, he does have a nice Arenosa pedigree on his sires side but he has many-a-time been called ugly. He had to be tranqulized in order to be shaved AND hog tied until destiny brought us together
default_wub.png
: Now, well we havent done much except train and get fat :eek: but he will be showing in 13-18 youth hunter and open hunter starting in October
default_smile.png
But that doesn't matter because we will always be together whether it be in spirit or phycically or both

Latest posts

Back