White Tails First Foal of '09

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTailsMinis

Reaction score
I've been so envious seeing all the other foal announcements - couldn't wait for our first to arrive.

We're pleased to announce our first '09 foal - a beautiful healthy little colt. First baby for our Bonus and he sure puts a beauty on the ground. Three more of his foals to go and we hope they are all as nice as this one.

Born 9:45pm on Thursday 3/12 - just two hours shy of Mariahs 330 day mark (that would have been Friday the 13th - yikes). Everything went like clockwork - we were present - no complications or issues. Beautiful birth and Mariah has always been an exceptional mother. We certainly got our imprinting done this weekend - the first born is always the most spoiled. LOL

He's healthy and spunky and the vet gave him a wonderful report - all his test levels came back extremely high so he's getting plenty of food LOL.

Silver Buckskin? His black points are becoming more pronounced now - these pictures are within his first 12 hours of life. Will share updated pics as he unfolds. And he's got BLUE eyes to boot! I'd be interested in hearing what some of you think his color to be? Perhaps updated pics would help. I can't say Palomino because although he has no black points on his legs - he does have black points on ears and face and some in his mane.

I'm going to have Bonus genetically tested - I'm more convinced now he may carry a dilute gene. He's a Buckeroo grandson and we know how many buckskins are in his pedigree and his sire, Little Kings Bonus Bucks is grey - so now that he's put a buckskin on the ground - I'd say his chances are pretty high that he carries a dilute gene - would you?

Introducing .... White Tails Bonus ButNBuck - what an exciting time for us!

mariah09.jpg

noonpics.jpg

mariahfoal09d.jpg

mariahfoal09a.jpg

mariah09b.jpg

mariah09a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a cutie, i am a total sucker for those baby blues. I would guess either a buckskin or silver buckskin.

He is soooooooooooo cute!!!! I love him!!!
love0075.gif

And I also think he's silver buckskin
love0034.gif

Oh my gosh he is SO adorable. The first color that popped into my head is silver. Congratulations on a really cute little guy!
default_wub.png
default_smile.png

Definitely looks Silver Buckskin to me. Should be very striking with blue eyes, that is for sure! He has a darling head on him, what a wonderful way to kick off your foaling season.
default_wub.png

Congratulations on your foal. He is a cutie!

I did some checking for you. You colts dam is a smokey black, based upon what she has thrown for foals,two cremellos. (One needs two dilute parents to produce a double dilute) Then I looked up your stallions sire. Based upon his parents, there is no way he could be a gray. His dad is a buckskin and his dam is a chestnut pinto. In order to procudce a gray, one of the parents would have to be a gray. Perhaps your stallions sire is a silver dapple. Now, your stallion could be carrying the silver gene from his sire and he is definatly carrying the dilute gene from his dam. This makes him a smokey black rather than just a black, but if your colt is a silver buckskin, then dad or mom is also carrying the silver gene.

Enjoy your baby!

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! He's GORGEOUS!!!
default_wub.png
Wowzer, I'm in love.

Congratulations!

Congratulations on your foal. He is a cutie!
I did some checking for you. You colts dam is a smokey black, based upon what she has thrown for foals,two cremellos. (One needs two dilute parents to produce a double dilute) Then I looked up your stallions sire. Based upon his parents, there is no way he could be a gray. His dad is a buckskin and his dam is a chestnut pinto. In order to procudce a gray, one of the parents would have to be a gray. Perhaps your stallions sire is a silver dapple. Now, your stallion could be carrying the silver gene from his sire and he is definatly carrying the dilute gene from his dam. This makes him a smokey black rather than just a black, but if your colt is a silver buckskin, then dad or mom is also carrying the silver gene.

Enjoy your baby!
Riverdance - wow, lots of good info - thank you! I truly appreciate it. Although, I'm somewhat confused because the colts dam - my mare - is a silver bay pinto not smokey black. She's thrown pintos the last two times before this one. Maybe you meant to say Bonus dam - not the colts dam?

Bonus sire - I agree doesn't look grey although that's what Stone Hill Farm states in their description of him. And I knew Bonus sire was buckskin considering he's Buckeroo (which is why I thought Bonus could possibly have one dilute gene - I was hoping so at least).

Bonus dam is black - at Alliance (Fallen Ash Black Gold an L&D Scout daughter). At least she looks black in the picture but her page doesn't say specifically. Smokey black I could see though.

I do appreciate all the info and based on what you're saying - I think I'll test for the silver gene as well - if there are certain categories that you check for testing? Bonus does fade - especially his mane and tail - which I read somewhere that if they fade they are not a true black (?).

Thanks again - I'm definitely taking notes! LOL

He sure looks to be a silver buckskin for sure! We had a silver buckskin colt born last year out of a silver buckskin mare, he was born with blueish looking eyes but then faded to a brown color, i think alot of silver buckskins start out with a blueish color eye, then changes....
default_unsure.png
not for sure if its true for all silver buckskins though

Latest posts

Back