White "Fungus" in Ears....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquestraDreams

Reaction score
I just noticed a couple of small white circles about the size of a pin head inside of one of my geldings ears. I assume this is some type of fungus? Anyone had any experience with this and know how to get rid of it? Thanks!

I can't tell you what it is exactly but my vet told me not to even be concerned about it Well I would like to beg to differ.

Get something done about it right now . it is some kind of a fungus and PLEASE GET IT TREATED NOW!

I can't tell you how important it is. If you contact Shelly know on here as Loren and Rockys mom she can tell you all about it.

If let go it can fill the whole ear I found out the hard way.

Catch it now and you can probably get rid of it, but please do not let it go.

Good Luck

Bonnie

OUr farrier recommended gynolotrimin (spelling?) its for yeast infections and its a cream, cleared it right up with our app mares ears. Ask your vet first though!! Good luck Kath

Have had luck with different yeast infection medications... and I want to say I've seen a friend use Miconazole (not sure on spelling??)

Andrea

It is called Aural Plaque and it is VERY hard to kill off. It does effect the horse it is on. I have had Slick's ear treated with liquid nitrogen twice and that didn't seem to work. So now I apply a cream called Dermafas on his ear. I can't tell if it is working yet and I have been applying it for almost a year, but it is much better then it was. Slick is very sensitive and the Dermafas has helped make the irritation of the plaque tolerable. I will post pictures of it and you can see what his looks like. It is a virus that is trasmitted by flys and some horses get it and others dont. Slick has in in one ear only. It has effected him in that he is hard to bridle, halter and clip, but since I have been putting the Dermafas in his ear everythign else has gotten better.

http://www.dermafas.com/testimonials.shtml

Before:

slick1_small.jpg

After:

slick3_small.jpg

And just to show how pretty he is:

slickshead.jpg

IMG_9609copy.jpg

Thank you for your responses everyone! I will check out the medications you suggested and hopefully be able to get this under control soon.

No, it is not as advanced as on Slick, just 2 little white circular dots that do not seem to be getting any bigger or smaller.

Thanks again!

Audra

Latest posts

Back