White Boxers................

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girrawheen

Reaction score
Hi

I lost a beautiful boxer to cancer last year and wanted to know the following:

I visited a pet shop yesterday and noticed that they still had two boxer pups, out of four that they had a week or two before.

There were originally 3 brindle and 1 white boxer.

Now there is 1 brindle and 1 white remaining.

I was always under the impression, that white boxer pups are put down at birth due to the many problems they are thought to suffer from blindness, deafness, cancer etc.

I have also heard that any breeders that do allow them to live, would generally "give" them away as opposed to taking any money for them.

I was surprised to find out that they were selling both pups for $995.00 AUD. Before I decided on my French Bulldog, I was looking at perhaps getting another boxer (directly from a breeder). The going rate for boxer pups from actual breeders, were around $900.00. Obviously the pet shop buys the pups from a breeder at a discounted rate, and then adds more than a breeder when on-selling them.

My question is:

Are white boxers generally put to sleep at birth?

Do they have more problems than brindle or fawn?

I can't help but think that some poor family is going to pay big money for a boxer pup, only to have many health problems down the track. I do realise that most dogs have some problems or another (I know first hand as I have already discovered cherry eye in my French Bulldog) however, if white boxers are prone to have more problems than most, then this pet shop is totally abusing its right to sell puppies.

Thanks for any replies.

Yes for years white boxers were killed at birth as they are not acceptable to the akc association. Look at the standards for boxers for color and you will understand. A boxer can not be more than 50% white. AT least that is the way it was 20 years ago. It may have changed.

Not all breeders do this however and they, in the last few years, have become very popular for pets. Not all of them have problems, I had one for years but he did have to be put down because of tumors at about 7 years old. He was the best dog . He also had brindle spots around each eye so he wasnt all white.

Prices on them, well sad as it is, mixed breeds (designer dogs) are selling for as much as any pure breeds these days. Examples, puggles, lab a doodles.

Hello,

I would read all about the white boxers before buying one.I read that white boxers have hearing and eyes problems. The white boxers are nice looking dogs, but I wouldn't breed them myself. If we got a white puppy it would be a pet and not breeding.We have boxers,but they are brindle and fawn. We had a litter of boxers in nov and sold them for $400 here in Mississippi, everyone told me that was a great price. We sold a few out of state,because we were cheaper. I wanted the puppies to go to good home more then anything.

we kept one of our boxers from our litter, here she is when we got her ears done last week.

her name is China,.

before here ears were done.

100_1824.jpg

100_2320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
White Boxers are a throwback of the bull breeds used to "create" the Boxer breed. I know many breeders, still, to this day, do not allow them, and will euthanize them at birth, and I think it is terrible that a life be destroyed because of the color they are born. Not ALL white Boxers are deaf, but many, many are. They can be trained too, but just takes a different way of doing things.

They are normally sold from responsible breeders(that are "white Boxer friendly") as pets, at pet price. They educate the buyer. I don't think any pups should be bought from a pet store...they are known for LOW quality that most often come from puppy mills when the proper medical care, and sociallization is greatly lacking. They are in it for the money only, so mass produce, keeping all expenses to a bare minimum. No, not all pups come from such places, but the vast majority does!

Anyway, back on track again now...sorry about that...here is a link to learn lots about white Boxers.

The White Pages

My best friend and her family adopted one from a rescue.

He is all white except his nose.

His eyes to me look irritated though he seems to see fine. He IS totally deaf, though.

Great dog, but the deafness would be hard for me to handle as he is so energetic and can't respond to voice commands.

Anyway!

Good luck in your search....

Liz M.

[SIZE=14pt]I don't know how anyone could put a dog down based on it's color, that being said, yes, they are not of the standard for showing or breeding, but that doesn't stop them from making an excellent pet!!! I should know we have one!!! This is Sparkle, and she is a sweetheart, she is not blind and is not deaf, she has been vet checked and is in excellent health!!! & Best part she is a very loved part of our family!!!!!!!!
default_wub.png
: (Look at that face how could you put a pup down because of color!!!!) But alot of breeders give them away or sell them at a reduced cost.......we paid $100 for her. The funny thing is when we got her she was solid white other than her nose, now she is getting spots all over, her belly used to be all pink, now she has tons of black spots on her tummy!
default_wink.png
:
[/SIZE]

SparkleMediumWebview.jpg

Sparkle1MediumWebview.jpg

I also have a solid white boxer. She was vet check A OK. She is not deaf, eyes are perfect. She came from a white boxer friendly breeder. I paid $150 for her. She is a great dog. She is the breed standard in every way but in color.

Here she is just a month ago. Shes a mess. Loves to get dirty. Rolls in mud, gets in the water troughs. She funny.

Fendi.jpg

I was always under the impression, that white boxer pups are put down at birth due to the many problems they are thought to suffer from blindness, deafness, cancer etc.

I have also heard that any breeders that do allow them to live, would generally "give" them away as opposed to taking any money for them.

I was surprised to find out that they were selling both pups for $995.00 AUD. Before I decided on my French Bulldog, I was looking at perhaps getting another boxer (directly from a breeder). The going rate for boxer pups from actual breeders, were around $900.00. Obviously the pet shop buys the pups from a breeder at a discounted rate, and then adds more than a breeder when on-selling them.
First lets clear up where pet shops get their pups..............they come from brokers who buy from commercial breeders. Hobby breeders are not allowed to sell pups to pet stores, and belong to their breed club it goes against the code of ethics they agree to.
default_wink.png
:

OK from what I have heard SOME breeders will put them down at birth, others wait and see if they have problems, and others will place them in pet homes. Some breeders use the white color as a sales pitch (being rare) the main problem in white boxers is deafness and it isn't allowed in the breed standard.

There are good breeders and bad breeders and a person really needs to do their homework and research the breed of interest before buying a puppy. Sometimes this means you have to pay a little more and quite likely be on a waiting list but in the end you will have a better experience with a breeder there to help you along.

And yes being on a waiting list stinks but in the end I will get what I am looking for. I waited almost 8 years for the pup I have now. I am on a waiting list again but what I am looking for is so specific that I not only have to wait for them to be born (or bred) but then wait for them to mature enough to make a decision 12 weeks..........still waiting
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

A friend of mine has a white boxer named Nugget. He's completely deaf. He knows sign language, though. She has special signals for "quiet" "sit" "lay down" "shake" "load up" etc.

Thanks everyone who replied.

No I am not looking for a white boxer myself, but the ones posted here are absolutely gorgeous
default_yes.gif
: !

I would also NEVER buy a dog from a pet shop.

I happened to walk past this pet shop, perhaps two weeks ago, and noticed the boxer pups in the window.

When I went past again on Wednesday, two were still there. I find it really disgusting the way these dogs are kept! I am not sure, but I am guessing they are kept in the shop overnight. These dogs are kept in a glass cabinet with a small vent for air! These two boxer pups have been there now for over two weeks!

It makes me sick that pet shops are allowed to keep animals in this way! I would like to put them in a glass cabinet for two weeks and see how they like it!

Latest posts

Back