Which state

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzE

Reaction score
With my husbands impending job loss we are considering getting out of snowy western NY. I would appreciate any and all opinions on where we should start looking. These 3 states are my favs. If you have any imput on real estate, job opportunities and travel times to AMHA/AMHR shows I would LOVE to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

Out of those 3 I would choose Kentucky.

LOL - If I was relocationg I would look in Ohio though. Lots of shows within a few hours drive there.

Oooh...gotta answer this one! Middle (Piedmont) North Carolina! Mid location on East Coast, can have the mountains and the ocean within easy drive, easy interstate access, lots of great mini folks and home of the East Coast Miniature Horse Club - fantastic group of hardworking people, 2 big AMHR/AMHA shows in NC alone, plus other shows within easy driving time, four seasons - winter and summer tolerable, spring and fall beautiful. Wouldn't live anywhere else. :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

I went through one winter in Kentucky...too much, couldn't handle it.

Tenn is nice but too far from the ocean for me!

I vote for Tennessee.

You can't beat the climate or the scenery. The most snow we've had in ten years was all over 6 inches. And that disappeared quickly.

Besides, it's legal to pee of the porch.......... :eek:

I am in VA on the NC line and can tell you it is beautiful. Winters are usually very wet and mild and spring and fall are great. The problem here is the heat/humidity combo. In the summer it is so hot and humid that by the time you dry off and put your clothes on you are soaked again. I have to have the AC on to get my make-up on in the mornings and it is melted off by noon. It is often so humid that it is hard to get enuogh oxygen to fill your lungs because the air is so thick and heavy. There are also snakes, snakes and more snakes. Uuuck. Ticks everywhere, skeeters galore and poison ivy hiding in every nook are other summer highlights. The good side...it is just now the first day of March and it has been 60 degrees for days now. The horses are shedding, the days are getting longer and I can hardly wait to get home from work to go out and sit with my babies! The way I see it, I am stuck inside for a couple of months here vs. being north and stuck inside for 3-4 months of the year. It is also mini heaven down here--LOTS of great folks! Me....I would rather go somewhere like here with less humidity...is there such a place? My step-mom is from Kentucky...there are TN didn't seem all that different to me.

North Carolina, North Carolina, I vote for North Carolina. Grew up here lived in a lot of other states (North, Midwest and further south)came back here, great place. That's my vote :aktion033:

If you want AMHA shows, i do not suggest ohio ..i suggest Texas lol. We are basically pony/mini central to tell you the truth here in Ohio though so AMHR/ASPC is pretty big here. We even have our own 'world show' ....
default_smile.png

I'm a kentucky gal though, love Kentucky. Soooo beautiful. If you want scenary and good weather, ohio is not for you lol.

eek, dont mention snakes ...phobia, they are going to start coming back out pretty soon too darnit
default_sad.png

Kentucky unless you are talking about eastern Ky. I grew up in those hills & absolutely refuse to live there again. :no: ................ We've lived just outside of Louisville, Ky since 1989. Several A shows to go to within a few hours of travel.. Julep Cup show in July at the Horse Park in Lexington. Ky State Fair AMHA show in August. R Show at the Louisville fairgrounds in May & one at the Horse Park also ...........We lived close to Dayton Ohio for 8 years while in the Air Force..... Just like Ky you gotta pick the right spot........... Our son in law was recently offered a job at Vanderbilt in Tn so we thought we might follow them there but he turned the job down. :aktion033: I've heard it is a nice area to live in - again if you get the right area.................... We're going to be listing our place for sale as soon as (if) we find what we need. Was going to build on our property about 30 minutes from here but we were told it is cheaper to buy existing now instead of building new. The Lousiville area has a lot to offer. Outside of Lexington is nice - other areas also - very scenic.;

Oh, you guys aren't making this any easier! But definiately don't need the humidty...my husband would be miserable! Being close to the ocean isn't necessary either. But no hurricanes or tornadoes! I wouldn't mind 4 seasons. I honestly will probably miss the snow but this year we have had almost six feet and very frigid! Scenic is a must. We have only showed AMHR so probably would prefer to stick with it. How about reasonably priced housing? Would want at least 10 acres...that is what we have here, but would love to have more. But I am worried about finding the "right" area. I don't mind rural...we don't have any neighbors here but are 7 minutes from town. I think we will have to be doing some traveling this year.

Here is a pic of our girls standing by the pasture back gate and no they are not on a drift this is the true amount of snow!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/Fun...01/DSC04776.jpg

We paid $50,000 for our five acres four years ago. It is about 30 minutes from downtown Louisville, Ky & 8 miles from interstate 64. The areas we would prefer to build on run $75,000 + for five acres. Can get 10 acres for about that also but it is out further or is less desirable land.

KENTUCKY!!! Horse Country

We have 3 or 4 mini clubs -- The Kentucky Horse park has 2 shows a year there -- AMHA and AMHR -- the State Fair has a show -- Close to shows in TN, OH, IL, IN, MO and not too far a drive from nationals in TX and OK. Great DRIVING activity here too -- with VSE classes in ADS (and CAA) shows -- Great places locally (in the LEX area) to take your horse for recreational drives -- even places to stay overnight and drive during the day - LOTS of fun -- Almost all of the local county fairs have mini classes in them (halter and driving) -- and the local Mini club(s) have competitions and year end awards for who wins the most of the country fair classes (and the fairs a lots of fun too!).

On the other hand -- its not cheap!

Lexington area Local Real Estate Website (LBAR)

I live in the Georgetown area -- north and further east of me it gets pretty hilly (as in vertical hills, but not mountains) -- Shelbyville/Taylorsville is a nice area too -- Nicholasville and Harrodsburg are great

Again, you will need to see places in person to see if they are flat or rolling or steep -

We get some winter, but really nice Spring/Fall - and a bit on the warm side in summer. Tornado's are our big threat (like the other states you mention). Hurricanes are normally all gone to rain by the time they make it up to us. We get ice storms some times -- but they are rare.

Its beautiful here -- people are very helpful and very friendly -- back roads are NARROW - but scenic and you get used to driving on them -- horse trailers and horse vans are EVERYWHERE!

Close to excellent miniature horse sales (Little Kings, Bluegrass Mini Club) - and there are so many great mini breeders in this area.

I have lived in TN, GA, NY, AR, TX, KS and here - this is my favorite of all.

Good luck where-ever you choose to live.

JJay

PS - next door to us is 10 acres for sale with a pond, mostly fenced perimeter - no buildings on it yet -- for $60,000 (I believe that is the price they are asking - its for sale by owner) and it has a gentle roll to it. Nice people in the neighborhood and 30 minutes from downtown Lexington in rush hour traffic. If we had the money, we would buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back