which side...manes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Ive seen manes on both sides at shows...doesnt seem like there is any particular rule of thumb. Do you all just pick the side that it naturally falls on? Unfortunatly Cams neck IMO looks better on the side that the mane falls on and I would rather train it to fall on the other side to show his nice shoulder neck tie in w/o mane interferance.

I just let it decide and go with the flow. I think the majority of mine are righties and a couple are lefties.

I project horse I had this winter was interesting. His mane fell nicely on the side of his attractive white marking, totally obscuring it. I decided to train the mane to fall on the other side, so the marking would show. I braided it, and informed the owner what I was doing. When he went home, it was falling nicely on the other side; I havent' seen him since, but I hope she continued to train it. He had no wierd hair growth patterns, so I don't know why it wouldn't work.

My gelding has, I swear, cowlicks in his mane. It doesn't ALL want to go either way! I usually have to keep some of it braided, only removing the braids when he goes out in public.

I usually go the way the top wants to go. I find it's usually harder to train the top than the bottom half so which ever way the top wants to go, that's the way it all goes :D

Neither side is "correct" or "incorrect". Most show people will have the mane fall on the right side of the neck. I was told this is to give the judges a good look at the neck as you enter the ring. In minis, a nice neck is a big deal, so the explaination was memorable and made sense to me
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back