which dog should i get?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester Farms

Reaction score
well i have been wanting and waiting for a greyhound forever, but the other day i saw and fell completely in love with a papillon puppy. im not a small dog person at all but for some reason i cant get him out of my mind. should i dopt him or the greyhound? i like big dogs, but live in a 1 bedroom apartment. i wanted a jogging partner or someone to take with me everywhere like hikes. waht do you think i should do? thanks!!!

Papillon are high energy, so love to run and full of life. I Love my Pearl ( Papillon )

Pearlok2.jpg

I love papillions! There is one that lives a few houses down for me, and she is the greatest! I always say that if I ever get a little dog *I am a big dog person*, it will be a papillion.

default_wub.png
:

wow, those are opposite ends of the spectrum!

I'd say you need to take a really good realistic look at your family and personality before you decide for sure.

Greyhounds are big, mellow, easy going, laid back dogs... in general. They are usually quiet and soft tempered, even if they do like a good fast run once or twice a day. They are happy to share your home and your couch but they are not likely to spend all of their time focused on you and wanting you to play. They make great jogging partners, and will thrive on long walks/runs in the park. They make pretty good apartment dogs because despite their size they don;t actually need a lot of room (enough room on the couch to sleep is usually all they want).

Pap's are small, active, energetic dogs who tend to be more vocal and want a lot more direct interaction then a greyhound. They are also smart and you need to channel their energy into positive things. They are not a dog that lays around most the time, so you need to be the type of person who enjoys really interacting with your dog. I'm not so sure they would be that good for jogging/hiking. I know my small dogs would get sick of it fast and I'd end up having to carry them, lol.

Also keep in mind, many small dogs are pretty vocal especially when they are home alone and get bored. Living in an apartment that might be something you'd want to avoid so as to keep the peace with your neighbors... but that is an issue you could have with ANY dog.

In the end, a dog is an animal you really share every moment of your life at home with... as long as you have a realistic expectation of what life with a high energy small dog can be like if the little Pap has stolen your heart then go for it.

(I'm a big fan of greyhounds AND Papillions, Paps are on my short list of small dog breeds I would consider for myself, and greyhounds are on my short list of big dog breeds. So I can see why you are having a hard time deciding.)

I say stick to your original plans of getting a Greyhound. When they are inside, they are couch potatoes, and not barky, so would definately do well in an apartment.
default_yes.gif
:

I say go with the greyhound, particularly for what you have given us as it's role in your life. They are pretty mellow indoor dogs, whereas the papillons are very hyper indoors (my friend owns two of them... they keep her up late at night wanting to PLAY and run around the house barking and going crazy). The papillons can also be barky dogs, as they are normal ''small dogs'' where the greyhounds tend to be more quiet which I'd think would be more acceptable for your neighboors in an apartment.

Also the Papillons like to play but not really jog or hike, whereas a greyhound has long legs and the athletic ability to keep up.

Papillons tend to be a little harder to housebreak too, small dogs usually are compared to large dogs.

The papillons are simply ADORABLE and they are VERY smart (the ones I know understand each of their 30-40 toys by NAME like ''purple pig, squeaky jack, monkey, wiener dog, etc.'') and are really great members of the toy breeds. But for YOUR situation, and desire to choose between greyhound or papillon, I'd say greyhound. AND there are LOTS of places to rescue them, versus spending lots of $$$ on a papillon!

Andrea

I had a borzoi...russian wolfhound..............very similar to a greyhound. In the 8ish years we owned her she barked ....never....except at the coyotes when they got too close to our property. Her main goal in life was to surf the couch........or the floor or the porch :bgrin :bgrin she would take a morning run around our 10 acres and that was all. If I invited her to go walk with me she would go but was just as happy to hold down whatever she had chosen for her bed.

If I lived in an apartment no one would have ever known I owned a 32 inch tall gigantic dog
default_wink.png
:

Now my chow's make great house dogs but they also talk alot more and feel the need to bark at...spiders, socks, the wind
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: love them best dogs in the world but not for everyone
default_wink.png
:

I have met a few papillions and man are they personality plus.......but I also remember them being very bouncy and some were quite verbal
default_wink.png
: we had one try to hijack our car...was more than willing to ditch his owner to go for a car ride with us :bgrin :bgrin

I had a friend who had an Irish Wolfhound (another sight breed) and a chihuahua/yorkie mix.... and when it came to which SEEMED to take up more room in their house the chi/yorkie was definately the bigger dog. I'd have taken either one of those dogs but I would have probably sent the chi/yorkie back after a week when i passed out from exhaustion.

I adore big and small dogs alike, I have a 80 pound mutt and two 10 to 20 pound Hairless Chinese Crested Dogs, all of them are really REALLY mellow, even the little dogs, but they really do fill completely different roles in our home.

Haha greyhounds always too like they are on teh edge of starving to me, so skinny and weird looking, get a great dane, like a greyhound with meat on their bones...lol

:saludando:
default_yes.gif
: I live with a pap, we now call him Mr Regan because he's old and gets lost in the cornors of the house, then we have to rescue him. Great little dog. Get one of each. Grayhoundds are nice too, but, Many have social problems. A friend of mine rescued one several years ago and she had to be real careful because he didn't want to stop running.and he had bouts of depression where he wouldn't eat.

Back