Which class do You put the horse in

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryann

Reaction score
If you have a horse that measures exactly 36 inches ,as one of ours often does , which class would he need to go in at nationals? Several classes are broken down as 34-36, and 36-38.There are driving and halter classes with this split. I know the ribbon is supposed to go to the smaller of the horses if there is a tie , which seems fair in halter but what about driving? If we show him in the 36-38 for halter do we have to show him in the same for driving, or would it be optional? Of course he may measure different there than he has at other shows but just in case, I just wanted to be prepared to make the decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what?

I have started an answer three times now and have just come to the conclusion that

a) I am right, and not going crazy, 34 to 36 includes 36 as a height.

b) the wording is wrong, it should say "34 to 36, and over 36 and up to 38"!!!!

LOL!! Jane - you would think 'they' would write things more clearly and save us all the stress!!

Sorry to differ but I would read 34-36 as 34 TO 36 - not INCLUDING 36!!

However that would then mean that 36-38 does include 36 but doesn't include 38??????

Back to the drawing board I think LOL!! Sorry Maryann, we are not being much help!
default_wacko.png

Anna

I would show 34-36 without a doubt. Especially for driving I do think a 36" horse is going to do better in the 34-36 class

Ok so if I was not confused before.........

:arg! LOL Thanks for your take on it, Jane and Anna. At least I know I am not totally crazy for asking the question. Lets just hope my horse does not measure exactly 36 again.
default_thumbup.gif

That is what I was thinking to Kay but I was just not sure . So it is optional which class the horse could show in?

Yes you can pick but you have to be sure your horse measures 36 and not a hair over or they are bumped to the next height division.

Same thing if you had a 34" horse and you could show 32-34 or 34-36. Two inches is a big difference. I have seen horses 34.25 really struggle showing in the 34-36.

Kay

I was just reciently at a show where my mini horse measured 34" right on the button. I too was confused on where I should show 32-34 or 34-38.

Everyone there who I compeate against said I will have a way better chance in the 32-34 cause my horse will stand out better for the judge then a 34-38 class, because with many shetlands in it.

I choose 32-34

You always want to be the tallest horse in the class. Legit legal tallest horse in the class IMO anyways.
default_rolleyes.gif

I was at a clinic. The lady hosting the clinic asks "If I were to show a 'B' size miniature, at what height would I prefer?" Some one then jokingly shouted out 40" It caught the host lady off guard and we all had a good laugh.
default_laugh.png
This IS the way some people really think, however the majority do play by the rules. IMO harder measuring would solve this, be we'll see.
default_yes.gif

Anyways, 34-36"
default_smile.png

I was just reciently at a show where my mini horse measured 34" right on the button. I too was confused on where I should show 32-34 or 34-38.

Everyone there who I compeate against said I will have a way better chance in the 32-34 cause my horse will stand out better for the judge then a 34-38 class, because with many shetlands in it.

I choose 32-34
Really? I mean really? I've been showing my 35" chubby AMHR only gelding against the "Shetlands" (
default_new_shocked.gif
) for years and he has always held his own! And my gelding is not the best horse around either. Comments like that are petty and silly. There are a heck of a lot of nice horses that aren't "Shetlands" (
default_new_shocked.gif
). And it's all the same in my eyes, they ALL have AMHR papers so come on. IMO, YES a 34" horse has a better chance against other A size minis then horses that could have 4" more leg. I just don't understand the pony hate. I have seen plenty better AMHR only horses and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good AMHR only horse over a AMHR/ASPC. And for the record, I wouldn't mind the right AMHR/ASPC horse in my barn either. They all poop the same to me.
default_xkngt.gif

OT: Des I so badly want to send you an ASPC/AMHR horse
default_smile.png

The class specifications if written completely are "over 34" to 36" and "over 36" to 38". So if the horse measures 36" he/she shows in the smaller but if it measures 36 1/4" or over he/she shows in the larger.

Jacki Loomis

[email protected]

The classes are officially "over 32 up to and including 34", and "OVER 34" up to and including 36". Show bills are getting so busy it's just easier to take out the extra words. If you have a 34" horse, it should show in the 32" - 34". Of course, if you CHOOSE to put the horse in the taller class you can, but as said you would be at a disadvantage. It would be very unusual to have anybody protest a smaller horse in their class as the taller horses typically win, but it could legally happen.

The horses who measure RIGHT ON the division line show in the smaller division.

A 36" horse would show in the 34-36" class. A 36.25" horse would show in the 36-38" class. You don't get to pick as far as I know!

Technically, if you read the AMHR rulebook, the class is CALLED "Over 34 to 36" meaning horses over 34" tall. And it is legally called "Over 36 - 38" meaning horses measuring OVER 36" tall.

So don't fret if someone shorthanded in your show premium. If your horse measures 36" even, it will be in the over 34-36. If it measures over 36", it will show in the over 36-38" class.

I think a lot of people misread that "over" as "B division" ...

I hope that helps!

Andrea

Really? I mean really? I've been showing my 35" chubby AMHR only gelding against the "Shetlands" (
new_shocked.gif
) for years and he has always held his own! And my gelding is not the best horse around either. Comments like that are petty and silly. There are a heck of a lot of nice horses that aren't "Shetlands" (
new_shocked.gif
). And it's all the same in my eyes, they ALL have AMHR papers so come on. IMO, YES a 34" horse has a better chance against other A size minis then horses that could have 4" more leg. I just don't understand the pony hate. I have seen plenty better AMHR only horses and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good AMHR only horse over a AMHR/ASPC. And for the record, I wouldn't mind the right AMHR/ASPC horse in my barn either. They all poop the same to me.
xkngt.gif

WOOH WOOH WOOH!

I did'nt say I said this, I clearly said above that this was said to me.

Right, that is exactly as I thought it should be!

So, it is merely the show people themselves writing it down wrong?

This is the way it has always been with BHs, but, it never does to assume, with Minis, I find!!

I've always been given the option.
You should not be given the "Option" to choose at an approved AMHA or AMHR show.. A 34" horse goes into the "over 32 up to and including 34" class. If you choose to have your horse stand up a little, shave the mane up a bit and get him in a taller class, you can. But just like you cannot show a true 32 1/4" horse in the 30" to 32" class, you cannot show a 34" in the 34" - 36".

Most folks believe that being the tallest in their size class gives them an edge. That's why many folks do everything they can legally do to get their horses to be in the smallest size class they can. I do know that my 36" B gelding just won Champion Senior gelding under 2 AMHR judges, and he wasn't the tallest in the class. But many pros and trainers look for those horses who are at or close to the taller end of the size class they are in. Even in a 2" difference in leg can make a difference.

Right or wrong I've always been given the option, at both large shows and small shows.

Well I've never been to a show large enough to be broken down into 34"-36" and 36"-38". Ours have all been 34" and under and over 34". Personally, none of my horses have ever measured close to 34" but I've known of a few that measured it on the button. They were allowed to choose which class they wanted to show in, whether that's right or wrong. They of course all chose 34" and under. I never did quite understand why they were even given a choice....doesn't make sense to me
default_wacko.png

I showed a yearling colt a couple years ago that measured 32" at the show. When I sent in the entries weeks before, I put him in the yearling 32-36" class...however when he only measured 32" at the show I stuck him in the 32" under yearling class. Just another example - totally legal .........

Latest posts

Back