Where to start?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I have a two year old gelding that I would like to train to drive. He's nothing perfect and not particularly well built for much.

I need to buy a harness and my goal is to buy this one (Go down to "Leather Driving Harness"):

http://starlakefarm.com/harness.html

321.jpg

I don't want anything fancy or nylon but I don't want to spend a lot of money on one. I have three minis that I would like to train and it'll be thoroughly used. I have a 10 year old mare I would like to train, her 2010 gelding son, and her 2011 filly. (The youngsters only when they're old enough.) The harness above isn't fancy but its in my budget.

The gelding, who I am wanting to start first is very, very willing to learn.

I want to say that I am not asking about HOW to train them how to drive; but rather how to prepare them.

1. What do you do before hand to prepare your horses (training wise.)

-What do you want them to already know?

2. Should I have my vet thoroughly "okay" them before hand?

-I am planning on having my vet come out and float the gelding's teeth before I start working with him because I when I felt his teeth (I was testing to see how loose his mouth was and if my vet could fit her tools in.) that they were sharp on the outside.

3. What materials should I have?

-A bitting rig? A caveson? A surcingle? etc?

4. Do you suggest any DVDs/books?

I *think* I may have some people who can help me in person to train. I work with a girl who drives Belgians (BIG difference!) and an older couple said that they would help me as well.

Btw. If I don't comment its because I forgot!

I tend to forget threads that I have outside of the Miniature Horse section.
default_wacko.png

I have three of these harnesses and think they are great starter harness. I use them now mostly for training, but used them for show when I got started. Ozark Mtn also has a good quality harness about this same price that other forum members have. One suggestion I would make (and you can do this at either place) is to buy an extra bridle for each mini you plan to work with at a time. That way you won't have to be constantly adjusting things or changing bits. Also, I would get the breeching.

What I like to do to prep them - and what we do with all our minis anyway - is train them for halter obstacle and showmanship. I want them to respond to walk, trot, whoa and stand on the lead with or without voice commands. So if I walk, they walk, I trot, they trot, etc. And they will willingly and calmly go over bridges, tarps, walk by umbrellas, etc. Ours are also free longed so are used to whips and voice commands. Taking them for walks down the road is also great. We start them very young - our 3 month old foals have already been through a trail course or two, and have tarps, a wading pool, and cones in their turnout area to get used to. The foals have also watched (with great interest I might add!) when I drive Princess, so the idea of pulling a cart will not be foreign to them when it's their turn.

I would have the vet check teeth, and if you run into any training issues, check teeth again, especially with a youngster. We had to give our 3 year old a break early this year when she was cutting teeth and started shaking her head in harness.

The best book is Carriage Driving by Bean and Blanchard.

Before getting a bitting rig, I would find someone to help you. It does NOT have to be someone with minis and the person with Belgians might be fine unless they are only used for draft work/pulling. I got lots of help from a couple that drives Morgans. We mostly use our harness for training although I do have a bitting rig. See the thread about "lets see minis in training to drive" for lots of photos of many different minis in training.

I'm just training my mini to drive (I'm still in the preparations of ground driving) and learn it on my own with books.

very helpfull for me:

- "Step by step guide to training a miniature horse to drive" by Mindy Schroder

a small and short book, easy to read, a lot of pics, just concentrated on the essentials and basics

- "train your miniature to drive" by Pat Elder

much more details and training tips, lot of pics, but not in a such good quality as in the first book

- "Pferde richtig einfahren mit der Doppellonge" by Heinrich von Senden

it's a german book about all the work to do with long reins for the driving ground-work

the three together help me a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
We purchase a lot of things from Star Lake and are always happy with the service and quality. I like that harness too for everyday and it would be fine to even start with if you want to try showing eventually.

1) Basics: Desensitize-desensitize-desensitize. Expose your horse(s) to lots of different sites and sounds and get their trust and confidence.

Getting them use to the bit. Getting them use to the different pieces of the harness, bit at a time. teaching voice commands-walk, trot, whoa, etc. teaching them to 'give' to the bit, right

and left. (leave backing on the bit to a little later).

2) Vet Check: you could. especially the teeth (for the bit 'sit'). Maybe back, hips, stifles, etc.

3) Basic harness longe line(s) a bitting rig-not neccesarily; takes some knowledge to adjust correctly and use-find some knowledgable help if you decide to use. Take the Belgian persons' help.

Spanky wasn't a whole lot of work really, as he is just an old soul, but the first month I had him all we did was ground drive him everywhere. We live within walking distance to town so there was lots of cars and activity for him to get used to. I honestly think that the main thing is to get them as bombproof as possible. The first week or so we worked just in a halter. Then in a harness with no bridle for a week or so, during which time I started having him wear the big during his workouts, and doing some ground driving with it at home. Finally going out with everything but the cart.

Latest posts

Back