Where in the rulebook . . . .?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestoso

Reaction score
What are the requirements to becoming an AMHA carded judge? I know that you have to attend the judges seminar, anything else? I know AMHR makes you apprentice at so many shows, does AMHA do something similar? If this is in the rulebook let me know where and I can look it up but I can't seem to find it . . . .

Well it's a good idea to read the whole book
default_laugh.png

You will learn everything and you will need it for the seminar... and I think you will have your answer.

Good luck!!!

Matt,

I cannot speak to AMHA but for ASPC/AMHR it is under the judges section of the rule starting on pages 73-81. All of your requirements are listed there plus the responsibilities of being a judge. Glad to see that you are interested in becoming a judge.

Arlene

Thanks CaroleSue and Afoulk!

Epona, I've read the book. When I looked for the the answer to my question, I don't expect to find it in the Bylaws, or the description of the hunter class, etc. That's why there's a table of contents.

Do you read the whole book every time you have a specific question? If so, glad you have the time, I don't.

If you DON'T have the time to read the whole rule book then you obviously don't have the time to become a judge! Judges and stewards read and STUDY the rule book and refer back to it at all times. Thats what makes a good judge or steward. One that knows the rules backwards and forwards. Linda

In Epona's defence when I read your post I kind of giggled
default_smile.png
and the exact same thought ran through my mind - IF you want to be a judge you really need to know the rulebook through and through. If they hadn't posted I probably would have said something to you in the same vein! I think they meant it in a fun, albeit true, manner. Even just as an exhibitor you need to know the pertinent sections thoroughly but that wouldn't necessarily mean you would know the rulings for judges - you really should read up on it though which is of course what you are attempting to do!
default_laugh.png

I do think some of the best judges I have shown under were serious but had a good sense of humour!

Last edited by a moderator:
It says he *did* read it
default_wink.png
Just wanted some help looking for the section.

I think there are some judges who should read their rule books more often, but I think we all could too
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks folks, when I'm ready to post the, "Please list for me all the reasons why I shouldn't be a judge" thread, I'll be sure and let you know
default_wink.png

I thought it was a simple question . . . . . Apparently some can't read a post without adding their portion of negativity.

I got my answer, so I'm done here, thanks for those who actually took the time to read the questions and respond accordingly.

The rest of you, feel free to turn the post into whatever sort of crabbing session you want, I won't be back to waste my time with it
default_smile.png

I won't be back to waste my time with it
default_smile.png
One requirement for being a judge -- which is NOT in the rulebook -- you need to have a thick skin because no matter where you judge, people WILL bash you. Can't satisfy them all...unless there is only one horse in each and every class. Goes with the territory. Hmmmmm.....wonder if there is any medication for helping skin to get thicker? Either that - or start stocking up on Tumms.

Sheesh Matt...lighten up man.....you asked a question, people responded. IMO I did'nt see any negativity in any of the answers you got.....
default_wacko.png

To be honest, I didn't read in his post at all that he wanted to be a judge. Maybe he was looking to see what the requirements were because like the rest if us, we know judges that we wonder how they got approved in the first place. Could be he just wanted to see if this was the case with a certain judge. I think the problem is sometimes questions are answered that were never asked which leads to unneeded heated discussions.

I won't be back to waste my time with it
default_smile.png
One requirement for being a judge -- which is NOT in the rulebook -- you need to have a thick skin because no matter where you judge, people WILL bash you. Can't satisfy them all...unless there is only one horse in each and every class. Goes with the territory. Hmmmmm.....wonder if there is any medication for helping skin to get thicker? Either that - or start stocking up on Tumms.
Speaking as a farrier Jean, a 1 to 1 solution of iodine and formalin brushed on a horse's sole will toughen it. Might work for skin too???

In the 2008 AMHA Rulebook read pages 60 thru 65.
A simple answer for a simple question. That's all he was looking for! He gave no reasons for his query, so there was no need to jump to conclusions and make speculative comments about his prospective judging abilities, should he ever decide to become a judge. Sheeesh!

Latest posts

Back