When to wean?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minifreishorsefarm

Reaction score
Just wondering a general survey on when people usually wean their babies. A lot of people tell me 5-6 months, then I hear of people getting a baby at 3 months old. So I am jsut wondering.

Thanks!

Marsha

Many years ago we used to wean at 4 months. Now we wait until 5-6 months.

Everyone seems happier and it is quieter at night!
default_biggrin.png

As a breeder for almost 20 years......I would have told people to do it at 4 months.....across the board....back in the dark ages.
default_rolleyes.gif
Mostly because that is what WE were told.

From our own experience, we advise people to wait to 5 or 6 months.....

Yes, 4 months is okay and very standard, but fluffing over a little longer does make it easier on both parties.....

PS: I want to add.......If the mare is struggling to keep her weight on while nursing, then YES, wean a little earlier. PLEASE remember this all about HORSE SENSE!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with four to six months, there is always a bit of leeway with me as my foals come at different times.

I wait til the youngest is four months.

The time of year makes a difference, too, going into the winter I will take the foals off earlier, if I need to.

4-6 mos here, too. In one case though years ago, I have a filly who was pulling her dam down too much and in that case, I did wean at 3mos. All went well. It also helps the foals a lot if they have another foal to wean with
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

We normally do 4-6 months if the mares weight is good. Right now I have a 3 month old colt that his dam is weaning him now. But thats okay because hes very independant and eats really well. We have noticed she will only let him nurse about 1/2 of what he would like to.

We have weaned as early as 3 months, due to the mare's condition, however 4 months and possibly longer, depending on the condition of either, or both, the mare and foal.

Making it sound complicated, but suffice is to say, I make a decision based on many factors. It isn't just age, it's condition of mare, condition of foal, behaviour and temperment.

I weaned a filly around 4 months last year, and she looked great, was eating hay and krunch and sweet feed.

In a short time she was acting funny (sort of colicy) and had to put her back with her mum and treat her for ulcers.

It may have been about 7 months before she was able to go with the other weanlings and not have a bad tummy.

I always wean with a buddy too, so sometimes one foal will have a month longer than my "norm" due to the wait.

For me it has always been on a case to case basis. It depends on level of maturity, dependancy, healthy and overall condition on baby and mama, and any other circumstances that I have to consider.

I weaned my last quarter horse foal at 3 months because she was pulling my mare down to skin and bones and I couldn't get any weight on the mare.

My first mini foal I weaned at 4 months because he was not nursing her much at all, he was eating plenty of food on his own and the mare wasn't being very attentive to him any longer and he found his place in the herd easily.

With my second mini foal I weaned at 6 months old. He was very babish, extremely needy and emotionally super dependant on his mama.

The others were weaned at about 4 months old. They were just ready.

I am already considering weaning my new colt at 4 months old by early fall or sooner. He's already eating like a pig, acting very independant, and the sooner I get a good handle on that little wild man by himself the better. But I just have to wait and see what will be best for him, not me.

Latest posts

Back