When to ship a pregnant mare - before or after foaling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
The mare in question is about 8 1/2 pregnant now, and the distance is something over 1,000 miles. A professional shipper would be used. The options are to ship her as soon as shipment could be arranged, or to have her foal out where she is and ship the mare and foal. For that option, how soon would you ship after foaling??? And if anyone knows our foaling history, you can factor that in too!!! We use Mare Stare, Equipage, and I am home all day, but we have had lousy luck with foaling.

What would you do? My vet and farrier both suggest shipping before foaling - but soon of course - based on experience with big horses.

Without a doubt I would leave here where she is. I had a pregnant mare hauled in about 2.5 months before she foaled and she aborted shortly after arriving. She arrived in good condition but I feel it was the stress of change. She had a horrible dystocia and had to be nursed back to health (splayed back legs that had to be hobbled for 6 months). We lost her about a year after that and I suspect it was somehow related to the trauma she went through.

Good luck.

Kareng

WAIT!

I wouldn't ship her until after foaling and when the foal is atleast a month old, just my opinion. Too many things could trigger abortions or preterm deliveries even without the stress of traveling that far. I would just be patient and wait. If she were within 200 or less miles then I wouldn't be too concerned but that huge kind of mileage you are talking about is just too much.

Just think about it, you don't have to stress during her foaling time AND you get to have your foal! Win, win situation if you ask me!

Back