When to put the mares up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two mares due fairly soon. I have dates of when they were hand bred. One will be 300 days on February 13th and the other on the 18th. Both mares have always been field bred so this is the first time they have been hand bred. Neither of the previous owners know how long they carry or how early in advance they bag up, etc. I would like to get the mares used to their foaling stalls before they get too close. When do you suggest to start keeping them up? I had planned to stall PM only until they get within a week or so and then just do a couple hours of turnout so I can watch closely. I also have halter alarms - when should I put them on?

Minis can go as early as 300 days with a viable foal (my second foal in 2012 came at 307 days), so I'd start getting them used to being stalled 2 weeks before that. They could easily go 340 days or more, but since minis can easily go less than that, I'd get them accustomed to it early. [For convience, start stalling them at the same time based on the early mare's dates. That way they'll have company when they are in the barn, even if through stall walls.] Stalling at night to start is a good way to get them used to everything, and you'll be able to keep a closer eye on how they are developing.

I had heard the general rule of watching them starting at 300 days and then had one foal at 299 days, and the full term foal did not get out of the sack. So now I start watching mine (on cam) at 285 days because I hear that they CAN have a viable foal that early. That mare at 299 days WAS on Mare Stare but I was planning to put the halter alarm on at 300 days. I learned my lesson. I also let my mares out during the day when they are close to foaling, since I work from home and will leave the halter alarm on. Usually I put them in the back yard or other turnout where I am sure the alarm will work!

The first thing to remember is that mares need approx one month in their foaling stalls (or wherever they are to foal) to build up an immunity to any germs/bugs. They will then pass this immunity on to their foals via the milk supply.

We normally stall at nights once we see any signs of udder development - even a very tiny change or the showing of some swelling in front of the udder if not the actual udder itself. This 'normally' happens approx a month before foaling, so we watch for these signs rather than sticking to dates, so our mares are stalled overnight from approx 5weeks before they foal - lots of lovely deep bedding to encourage them to lay down and rest as much as they want!!

Mares actually need MORE exercise the closer they get to foaling, so I would re-think your idea about keeping them in for a good part of the day. Perhaps the halter alarms would help you to give them more outside time?

As they get closer, please come and join us on the Mare and Foal forum here on LB - we love helping and watching folk welcome these precious little babies into the world.
default_yes.gif

Yep, I also learned the hard way that these little mares can foal earlier than expected! I bring mine in at night starting at about day 280- first of all for the immunity reason and for them to get comfortable with the routine, etc... also

Some mares do not even bag up until after foaling - so relying completely on udder development may not always be a good idea.
default_yes.gif

We have had a viable, full term foal born at 296 days. At least that mare had a huge udder and all the textbook signs of imminent foaling - except for the length of her gestation.

I would be getting your mares used to their stalls now - a month out is a good idea!

Latest posts

Back