When to geld

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Bits

Reaction score
Just wondering when do you think it is best to geld.

Some people believe in gelding when they are 6 months old. Some people wait until they are yearlings or older.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is, when you geld do you think it changes them developmentally? I have heard this before with bigger horses that they lose there neck qualities.

Just looking for some thoughts and opinnions.

My yearling is getting done on wednesday,hopefully things go well. He's been a real gentleman so far,and I want to keep it that way
default_wink.png

I have gelded and seen horses gelded of all ages.

Personally, the easiest gelding was done on a colt I had that was two months old. He was still on his mother's side... when he came to, he jumped right up and started nursing and the healing process was so easy. I think it was because of the fast growth rate.

I had a two year old colt done the same day, and he experienced more pain/swelling/drainage although he was perfectly fine.

As for "losing their neck qualities" I believe you are talking about developing a thick stallion neck. Even if you geld mature stallions, gelding them DOES bring down that neck some. That is why breeds such as the Andalusians don't prefer to geld their stallions... they want to show off that big, beefy neck.

However, in miniature horses... a THIN neck is PREFERRED so gelding early actually helps get a more desirable neck!

Andrea

im an odd one i guess.... all our colts have had the nessecary equipment available to be gelded at a early age. to date, we have gelded every colt born here (not counting of course the stallion we bought) before weaning... we have never had a colt retain a testicle . however there is one gelding i own that i always wonder what he woulda produced ! loli think its mainly a personal prefrance of the vet and horse owner when to do it. there was one we waited on gelding till he was almost a year old but only because he was a premie and was born late fall, and i didnt want to geld in feburary lol
default_smile.png
i have to agree it seems to be easier to geld a young colt ( like 2-3 months old) as they have the comfort of nursing
default_smile.png
just my opinion tho!

I geld any colt I shall be selling whilst they are still on the mare.

Only if I am running a colt on as a potential stallion will I leave them.

All colts are born with their "equipment" available for this simple operation, or they are in BIG trouble!!

We had 3 gelded on FRIDAY which was the 13th
default_unsure.png
...l was a little leery but it turned out without any mishaps and was the only day the vet could get out this way. One was an 8 year old stallion the other 2 were 5 and 6 month old weaners all are doing just fine like nothing happened. l just hope the 8 year old won't still try to ride the mares come spring he's been used for breeding since he was 3..

I had one gelded at 2 months old. Wouldn't have done him so early but boy was he a pest. He was very easy. However I had one gelded at 5 months of age and I guess his ring wasn't fully closed so his intestines fell out and he was very lucky to lived. Its not a matter how old you should wait it matter if that ring is fully closed. Make sure your vet checks real good before you do it.

I had several gelded as yearlings, 1 as a 2 year old, and had 2 that were 6. The older they are the harder it is for them. 1 of the older ones got real bad he coliced and also I think developed ulcers. He's perfectly fine tho now. I think its true geld them while they are younger the thinner there necks are, but not sure if its true or not in the minis they grow taller? I could be wrong, but really haven't experienced it.

I think I would personally wait until their first winter is over if they are good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
My vet will not geld until the ring is fully closed. We have 2 yearling colts we are holding over til spring because their rings were still open at last check in the summer.

Your vet needs to go back to developmental anatomy... the ring is closed within days/a week of birth. That fits right along with the myth that colts can suck their testicles up into their bodies, or can retain them till they are a year or two old. Complete myth...

Well this is one time we will have to agree to disagree. You have your beliefs and I will not be changing mine. I have a lot of faith in my vet, and has done well by me.

Your vet needs to go back to developmental anatomy... the ring is closed within days/a week of birth. That fits right along with the myth that colts can suck their testicles up into their bodies, or can retain them till they are a year or two old. Complete myth...
I will have to disagree with this statement as well. I have living proof in my backyard of the fact that stallions/colts can retain testicles. My 2005 Model Stallion did not fully drop his second testicle until about 5 months ago and until a few weeks ago he could still "suck it up" when you went to palpate his testicles. 

I know his bloodlines, and most colts related to him tend to not drop fully until 1-2 years old (yeah, my guy was even a later bloomer). In fact, I own his yearling cousin who I just recently purchased and I am still awaiting him to fully drop, as well as another yearling. 

On SOME colts the ring closes, and on some it does not. If there's only one thing I've learned in horses is that just because their is a general "rule of thumb" doesn't mean you don't have your oddities. 

Latest posts

Back