When showing only one horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frekles93

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I was goin gto show 2 this year, but after the clinic I went to decided agaist it because I will NOT have enough time to devote to 2 of them
default_wacko.png
: Also the one I was going to also take had colic surgery on the 15th so he will not be going anywhere due to the fact I dont want to stress him..... I really dont have anyone else to take. All the ones here that this filly is used to are not good to take... mares w/ foals. mare being bred, I do have the 3 dwarves????? Would you take one of them??/[/SIZE]

April

Unless the horse you're taking would freak out beign alone, I'd just take him. I do have a mini that totally flips out when alone (argh) so for her I'd have to take a buddy, but otherwise, it'll be easier on you not to ;)

Jessi

[SIZE=14pt]Im not completly sure how she will act. When I turn the others out and she is in the round pen she yells and hollers the whole time. I kinda figure she will act the same with or without a buddy....[/SIZE]

April

I think it's good for a horse to be out and about alone. I take my horses for regular walks/drives out around the neighborhood alone. Horses need to be broken of their "herd mentality" to gain confidence and be safe by themselves.

I actually find my horses are better alone at a show, once they get over themselves (they usually cry and paw and pitch a fit for a little while) because they don't have the separation anxiety EVERY time you take them away for their classes.

It depends on the horse. If your horse has just sat at home for years on end and never experienced anything, it will be harder on it to take it to a show, and by itself. If it's been to shows before or away on walks from it's buddies, it will probably be okay.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Andrea

I'm with Disney on this one. I want my horses paying attention to me, not there buddies.

I agree with Disney also on the paying attention thing. They learn there is a time to be with buddies and a time not to. We bought a riding horse one time that was SO HORSE SOUR- she had never been seperated from another in her life. It took some work, but she turned into a great horse later, but it was pretty scary there for a while.

They will learn to get over it and that that is their 'job' for the moment. When training for harness or doing other things, they cannot always have a 'buddy' handy- so you become their 'buddy' and they will survive it once they get used to it. It is natural for them to whinny and be nervous at first, but I have seen that bringing a 'buddy' makes it even worse some times. What happens when you have to leave the 'buddy' at the trailer or stall, and take this one to the ring? And the 'buddy' is now back there screaming also. Makes things worse in my opinion.

Work with them and train them and they learn that they can do things on their own.

I also agree with Disneyhorse.

Big Horse Folks call this behavior "Herd Bound". And the owner will purposesly remove that horse from its buddies for awhile so it will focus on the owner instead.

MA

Absolutely agree with disneyhorse and others! You are likely to 'create' a herdbound horse if they aren't already, by feeling you must supply them with a buddy at all times. What if something serious REQUIRED the horse to be taken somewhere by itself? You are MUCH better off if the horse has been acclimated ahead of time, for all KINDS of reasons-mostly reasons of safety for the horse!

Margo

[SIZE=14pt]Well sounds like she gets to go on her own then!! I figured she will get over it... you should see the round pen where she paces while the others are out....[/SIZE]

April

honestly i have found that most horses will act up when left alone..but the horses that are TAKEN are usually a lot better (ie. if you were to take that SAME horse that is acting up in the round pen..she'd probably be completely different than being left). I think it boils down tot hey have to focus on you and doing stuff sot heir mind is off their friend. I have horses that aren't particularly herd bound but pitch a fit when LEFT.. if they were to go they'd be 100% fine. Just how it seems to be.

I think it's also important to work them at home on their own and to expect them to listen, perform and behave... i think it's partially a learned behavior but i can tell you i RARELY have a problem with "herd bound" horses that are being worked..only "herd bound" that dont' like being left alone while the other(s) being worked.

i'd take her just see how she does. if she's really a problem then take a friend next time..but i think i'd still expect it to behave and probably wouldnt' take a buddy the next time either (but i guess i'm a "cold heartless" person too..lol i just expect them to get over it and move on! lol

[SIZE=14pt]I look at it as "they will get over it" too.... I really dont mind her running the round pen.... maybe it will work off her belly LOL. I have been working with her, but with the other horses in the pen (round pen is in the middle of a dry lot) Maybe I should work with her more without them there. [/SIZE]

April

I agree with all here! We took three fillies to show one year. One of the fillies would scream and holler when we took any of her buddies away, making the fillies that we took scream and holler because they could hear her. BUT when we took the screamer out and about she was fine. It didn't make for a pretty show for the other two fillies :eek:

Latest posts

Back