When nothing is perfect

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always like to say that people who say that money can't buy happiness have never had any money!

I am young, in charge of my life and living very well. My husband and I make good money, which we enjoy spending, but we don't spend it foolishly. My "new" car was three years old when I got it. We like to put our money into the house and farm - lord knows there's no money to be made in farming these days, so we consider it our hobby. Some people buy yachts ... we feed cows.

I work because I want to, not because I have to. I'm very glad that we will be able to afford for me to be a stay at home mom after our baby is born in March.

I often think that people don't spend enough time enjoying what they have. We're always envying someone else's yard, vehicle or house. Chances are, that other person envies your yard, vehicle and house. Enjoy what you've got and don't worry about how the rest of the world is doing.

oh i think your friend just loves you because your [SIZE=14pt]marty[/SIZE] you cant buy friendship for long because you soon run out of money lol i think there are nice and not nice people, and people just like you for who you are, weve had friends in the past and unfortunatley money has changed them, my and my husband had nothing when we married 16 years ago only love
default_wub.png
: and we had a sofa that my granda gave us and a fish tank, i wouldnt change a thing, we appreciate everything we have now and were not in any dept thank god, i have to also say your very lucky marty having someone you can say is a true friend, thats pricless in itself
default_yes.gif
:

Ashley,

when you make a statement like " I bet you anything deep inside she is a very unhappy person..." about someone you have never met and then you go on to say that "most of them" are lacking happiness you are judging people you don't even know and probably hurting people's feelings. I have never felt this board was of a certain class or income level and that all were not welcome here. Don't be like that.

And I never said you resent rich people- I just said that "success should be admired not resented". Marty had just said that her friend and husband worked very hard for what they had. That is something to be admired- I have a lot of respect for people who work hard and achieve a lot.

Sheesh Ashley, never said my best friend was rich. If they were rich, I don't think her husband would still be driving an oil truck. And what's wrong with rich anyway? I'd like to try it sometime actually myself. She just played her cards right and yes she is a very happy person and so very kind too. She's a big city girl. She works like a dog and takes a load of crap off her bosses to keep that job too. Makes very smart decisions. She started as a file clerk at 19 or 20 there and kept her mouth shut and her nose clean and got promotion after promotion and earned her place at the top of a very large corporation. Unlike me who went from shoveling big loads of manure to smaller sized turds.

It's all about decisions and life choices we make.

I could still be living in my beautiful house near the beach and a real pool in my yard.

If I want that, all I have to do is pull the plug on the animals and my little farm and go back to that kind of life and see how happy that would make me.

People can be best friends for life like we have and be very different people too.

My perfect life.....I live upstairs for the first time in 20 yrs building, I have healthy happy fat mini horses that get me out of bed, I have wonderful folks who care for me and that I care for, I am relatively healthy and happy and so dirt poor right now BUT life in the hollow just doesn't get much better unless it's spring, summer or fall.
default_wub.png
:

It's just all relative.

There will always be those who have more money than us, and also those who have less. I know one thing, money cannot fix it all and it can't fix the things that are really the most important, like when loved ones are sick or if you do not have a partner.

Money makes things easier, but it really doesn't make or keep a person happy unless the other things that should be there are.

This was a cute post, till it got ugly again
default_unsure.png
:

Anyhooo... my life... shew we have never had money. Since the time hubby and I got together, he was in the military (no money to make there, although we loved it) Then he got out and started working for Bellsouth (phone company) makes good money, but I am a stay at home mom and we have 4 children that we homeschool, and all our animals.. This is a choice we make!! I could go back to work, and put our kids in public school sell all the animals and move to town... Would we be happy? NOPE... we have an old house that we had to sell some horses to renovate. We have pipes that talk to you when they get air in them. We have no pressure in the kitchen. My floors are cold in most of the house due to being the old Heart of Pine with I am sure no insulation under them. My washing machine I pray will make it a few more years, it is as old as my 12 yr old daughter.. had to break down and buy the dryer last year due to it just not wanting to stay fixed. We have a newer vehicle but it takes all we can to pay for it, got tired of forking out money every other month to fix one. We have our house half painted right now, and it is killing us to not finish it, but it will have to wait no money to finish. Dad worked some good overtime this week and last, but it will all be gone as our 12yr old will be 13 in a few weeks and wants a party something we have never had before.. do I wish we could get beyond the paycheck to paycheck and not worry which bills we are going to pay this payday, sure who wouldn't but I love my life because it does keep my humble!! I don't judge anyone who struggles or is wealthy or in between.

Augeeesh Marty, We love you just the way you are!
default_wub.png
: We dont care what your house looks like or if the walls are falling in, heck--now you have a very nice new barn you could move into. From what you described sound like me and my sister--she has the very fancy 5,600sq ft home, her own business, pool, everything is always new and perfect.(so she says!) .me... we have a WORKING FARM..and I do all the work! while Bob works out, my house has dust bunnies all over the place, gotta love hardwood floors for them! I have more dog hair on the floors then the dogs have on them, I vaccuum and sweep daily but never seem like I have really clean floors, dishes are my passion--I hate them, so they get done immediately! :bgrin We have been married 35 yrs and have 2 grown "kids" with families of there own, who also have homes on our farm, and 3 grandkids, with one on the way...I do all the barn work myself, cleanup dog poop outside daily...and my cleaning list goes on and on..but you know what--WE'RE ALL HAPPY AND CONTENT with things that are not so perfect! BTY--did you come and take my recliner---mine has my BIG BUTT mark in it too.
default_wink.png
: Corinne

[SIZE=10pt]Corinne - your house always looks clean!
default_yes.gif
: Now if any one wants to see dust bunnys or dog and cat hair - my little 800 sq. ft. home is the place to visit...oh - lets not forget the mess from the birds. :eek: ( Even though the vacume is used daily.
default_wacko.png
: ) Money would be nice I often think, but there are so many things it really cant buy...
[/SIZE]

Forgot to mention - I dont have a recliner, but I do have one computer chair with a big ole but print!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have had me a rich boy, but I choose a dirt poor country boy, who I adore and love with all my heart. We are happy, we have a roof over our head, we have electricity, water, cable and phone, food in the fridge and in the cupboards, the baby has diapers and formula, the kids have clothes, vehicles that run well, All of our animals have food, water and shelter. We live from paycheck to paycheck and I would have it any other way.

Marty you are a great person! I admire you greatly!

I kinda feel as long as we have food and a warm place to sleep we are doing good! Since I have a few extras thrown in there I think I am doing da-n good! My husband and I have always worked hard for everything we have, and anything we do, nothing will come easy for us. That's ok, it's the way it has always been and I know no other. Life is good.
default_yes.gif
: My boss at work is one of those, has nice, new, clean, neat, animal free, homes. He is always teasing me about my menagerie and being in the boonies. I always tease him that I don't have to worry about a visit from him because he will not come down the 1 and 1/2 miles of dirt road to get to my place. He just shakes his head yes, that's true. We both think the other is living silly.
default_rolleyes.gif
: It all comes down to our own choices we make and whether or not we would trade what we have for something different we could afford. For me, no. At times, like you Marty, I think it would be nice to be perfect, but gosh, I do like getting dirty! Life wouldn't be the same if I couldn't come in the house with a smudge on my chin from a smooch from one of the menagerie around here. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda know what your saying in your post Marty.

Personally, happiness is hard for me because all this "money" stuff keeps popping up in life(I know, it's reality but it stinks sometimes to see it). Like watching your folks struggle to pay health insurance bills because the creepy insurance company says, you've had cancer and diabetes(even though the cancer was nearly 10 years ago) and there is NO lower policy for you to go on till you reach 65.....so you scrimp and save and pay the $800.00 + medication and your share of doctor co -pay office calls. Your life becomes consumed with meeting your basic health needs. This is what I see with my folks and it is tough to help enough, being an only son.....it's hard to not see.Being a close family and working on the family farm, it makes it double hard to see my folks go through it. That is probably why I choose to be single.

They work hard, pay every bill on time and live a simple life. Sometimes the pride of knowing you make ends meet isn't enough at the end of the day to feel happy.....hard times change people. They do make you strong and greatful for what you do have in life......
default_yes.gif
:

I hate to say this but I dream of loads of money so there would be no more health bill worries, no more putting off your own personal happiness to make sure money is there to pay bills and no more thinking practical about the simplest things, just to save money. One way or another lots of things boil down in life to having money. It is a little more than making smart choices though, because no matter what you choose......if you get dealt with a major health crisis, disease or illness....your going to need loads of money just to keep afloat. Maybe my take isn't normal and I'm not boo hooing just personal feelings that I should probably let go(hard to do somedays). I always keep hope that "this" will be the better year for health and happiness.....
default_yes.gif
:

Gesh forget I said anything. I think I will go back to lerking. My post all seem to be negative and come off wrong to all you anyway.

It is all about priorities and life decisions. My life could have been so different had I made decisions at certain times but it is what it is. I have had an extremely interesting life and looking back I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. If our lives weren't what we wanted then somewhaere along the way we would have changed it.

Marty-I enjoy your posts and can feel the love and caring you have for your family. You sound like the old earth mother type dispensing love, advice, scolding and cookies in your kitchen. You have a good man by your side who supports your obsessions and yes, you aren't Martha Stewart but then again, who would want to be. Your boys aren't in serious trouble but obviously love you and have inherited your sense of humor. You have an outlet for your creative side that brings enjoyment to those of us reading your poems and laughing at your antics.

Would you really like a different life?

Their is no doubt that money can make life easier. Doesn't it seem so absurd that people like Paris Hilton parade around spending millions of dollars on nothing and then people like Russ' parents have to worry about affording medical care. And the way our government spends money...................I won't even go there.

Wouldn't it be great if all of a sudden, one day, money was no good. People would be forced to barter and then it would be the people with skills and, or, a craft that would be doing well. Farmers would be at the top since they could provide food and Paris Hilton would probably starve!!!

Latest posts

Back