When? Is this mare going to foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyHorses

Reaction score
When I bought my mare in Jan 06 she had been w/ a stallion since Sept 05.

I thought she was going to foal in August, but we are now at the end of September.

WHEN is this baby coming?? Any guesses?? This is my first.

apriludders.jpg

Well, going by how the nipples are pointing towards each other, I'd say at least 3 or 4 weeks.

Not what you wanted to hear, right? LOL

Ginny StP

Watch her very close though. She could be a month away or a couple days. Watch her bag and her backside.

Do a search of the forum on foaling and read some of them.

Her bag will continue to enlarge and the nipples will point straight down. The nipples will actually fill themselves and look like little marshmallows very close to foaling.

If you can express fluid from her bag this is a great clue to nearness of foaling. It will go from clear to sticky to amber and very sticky and then turn opaque like 1% milk. When it does this she will most likely foal that night.

Also her vulva will get swollen adn elongated and may get very red inside.

All of these are signs that birth is imminent but she also could foal without any of these signs. The best thing is to watch her like a hawk and look for any changes in appetite, behavior, pacing, rolling, nervousness, any change can give you a clue.

Remember the mares dont read the books so all you can go by is what the usual things are.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

From what I can see of her bag, it looks virtually filled out. The nipples are still pointing in, but I would guess she will foal within just a few days. Her bag will likely flatten on the bottom, firm up and the nipples will be spread apart and pointing down. Good luck and let us know!

If this were my mare I would be checking often. Bag isn t ready yet but it can change fast as Becky said they dont read the books so being no help at all I would say she could go anytime between now and Dec based on her possible breed dates but would think it would be sooner rather than later.

I went to sleep last night thinking I was weeks away...When I lifted her tail this morning, her vulva is elongated and very relaxed...but no color change inside.

I am taking my daughter to the Florida Aquarium this morning for Girl Scout (Brownie) group activities. I should be OK to go for a few hours...right?
default_unsure.png
:

Latest posts

Back