when did you start

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got you beat. :lol: I'm 64 and just got my minis in July 2006. I got all four of mine from Marnie (from this forum). All 2006 foals. Wonderful retirement hobby. Have never had anything to do with horses. EVER. That's why I have so much to learn and I have learned so much from all you wonderful people since July. Thanks. I really enjoy this forum.

Bonnie B

Okay Bonnie, I was going to say I had Target's Mom beat but you've got it over me too!

I got my first horse as a teenager. Paid a whopping $100 for a 2 yr old green broke colt (big horse). Been riding on and off ever since. I've shown my sister's horses and my own and even got to go to Ireland and jump. (oh, yah, first jumping lesson at 50)

So age (old bones, etc) forced me to give those big ones up about 3 years ago and I got into the minis for my horse "fix" at age 59. Love 'em. Love showing them. Hope the body holds up for a few more years any way.

I hope someone from AMHA and/or AMHR is following this thread - or maybe someone should send it to them. What a great tool for marketing minis as the horse for all ages!

(My first horse was $250, bought when I was a teenager).

53 years old. Had our first riding horse when I was 33 years old, than got into breeding Registered Paso Finos for about 8 years, and than bought our first unregistered mini from a good friend Gene, 6 years ago (2001) for my granddaughter than got into registered minis about 4 years ago (2002) . Just the best thing in our lives aktion033:

I bought my first minis (a "three-fer" package) in 1995, at age 30.
default_wink.png
: I'm 41 now. :new_shocked:

default_wacko.png
: Man, how time flies when yer havin' fun!
default_yes.gif
:

I rode my cousin's horses from age 6 or 7, till I was old enough to buy my very own first horse when I was 15, a welsh pony named Brandy. Then I bought my first "biggie" horse when I was 17, a black QH with a white star, named Domino. Had a few more horses and ponies over the years. Then from there slowly went back down to just "dinkies".
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat topic!

I'm going to take it back a tad futher to my first HORSE.

I got my first horse in 1994. The day before I got him, I had no clue that I'd ever own a horse (though I'd always wanted one). Some family friends of my husband's (fiance then) had been boarding a horse for a lady, but she had committed suicide and they'd found out through her estate and were "left" with a horse they had no personal use for. They gave us the horse, who was (is) an arabian x quarter horse gelding. I learned so much from "Sky" who is not an "easy" horse because he is soooo smart and manipulative. He had my number from day one but with a lot of time and help from others, I learned to ride him "well" and to make a horse respect me, etc. Of course, it took me about 2 years before I was "ready" to realize it was ME that needed training in horsemanship and once I realized the problem was how I let Sky act towards me, everything changed and really fast.

Then, in 1999, I decided to get a mini. By that time, I had a second riding horse who also drove and loved driving him but got to drive a friend's mini and loved that and the view was nicer as well! I went to look at some colts and end up buying a weanling mini and a weanling small pony. The mini grew up to be a nice driving gelding and he and his pony are still joined at the hip.

However, when I decided to get a mini, I knew I'd "love" having one but thought I could not ever enjoy a mini as much as my riding horses. It didn't take long before I was enjoying the minis more than the biggies and though I still own my two riding horses, I think I have 16 minis now and that 1 small pony
default_smile.png

I was 25 when I got my first horse, Sky, and 30 when I got my first mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had horses when I was 13 and then I went to college for equine technology and worked with standardbreds and then with hunter and jumpers in a show barn. I then rode big ones off and on for the next 20 years.

My daughter started leasing a mini two years ago and then she bought him in August 2006 and I had to have one too so I bought a filly in October 2006. Can't wait to show her this summer. I am 42.

My how time flies when you are having fun. LOL
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back