wheezing and coughing under harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piper

Reaction score
hi guys I'm new. so I recently got my mini Piper driving but im having trouble because after awhile she starts wheezing and then later turns to coughing and i am wondering is this a fitness issue? a health issue? or if the breast collar on her harness is causing it? the breastcollar is just a strap of leather (its a cheap show harness) I put some padding on it and that seemed to help I have also tried adjusting it up down and all around with no avail what do you guys think is happening here?

I read an article about this awhile back, as my horse does this sometimes. It is something to do with clearing the esophagus--can't remember the details. It was normal and nothing to worry about.

If I run across the article again I will save it.

Have you discussed it with your vet? Do you have a cell phone or a camera that takes video? Perhaps you could "record" it, so your vet will have a better idea of your concern.

Have you noticed she does it when you drive soon after she eats? I know it is ideal for them to have something on their stomachs before a workout, but possibly some roughage remains in the esophagus.

I haven't had the vet out for annuals yet as i am getting a new pony on Sunday and wanted to do all of them with one farm call.

Pics of your harness set up would also help - we can all take a look and see if that is having an affect on her.

Soo - since you are new WELCOME to the Forum and please tell us about yourself!

PICS of all horses/ponies would be LOVED and details of any other critters/family you care to share...

Thing is--what may be the cause for one horse may not necessarily be the cause for your horse. One horse may wheeze and cough because the breast collar is affecting his breathing. Another horse may be wheezing and coughing due to heaves or a dust allergy.

Lack of fitness may cause wheezing when exercised but it is not my experience that an unfit horse will start coughing.

I would recommend a shaped V breast collar. If that does not eliminate the wheezing then a vet exam is in order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back