Harness fit question/breeching

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Cayuse

Reaction score
I bought a harness and I am not sure of the fit. Pretty sure it is too big for Peanut as I am one hole from the tightest on each side of the girt and if the leather stretches I will have no adjustments.
It fits Cappy better, but the breeching looks big. The breeching rings where the holdback straps attach are forward of his flank and I was always told the ring should be AT the flank where the hairs swirl.
Can you guys look at the pictures and see what you think?
I can return it for an A size.
And please disregard the hair and dirt, lol. It's that time of year!
DSCN2856.JPG DSCN2835.JPG

The first picture is of Peanut
The second is of the wooly bear Cappy.
I am thinking I should exchange for smaller harness and hope it's not too small for Cappy. My goal is to have one nice harness that fit's both for small shows.
Thanks!

Last edited:

MindySchroder

Reaction score
Yes it is too big! I am with you, I like the rings to be at the flank swirl.

You may just need to have a larger girth for Cappy, possibly a larger brow band and nose band for the bridle. But I don't see why you couldn't have one nice harness that fits them both! They look pretty similar in size :)

Cayuse

Reaction score
Hi Mindy! Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Sometimes when you buy something you tend to second guess and want to make it work, or at least I do! I sent the harness back for an exchange today. I think an A size will fit Cappy if I use a longer girth, which I already have. It may fit as is. We will see soon :).
Cappy is one inch smaller than Peanut but one hole larger in all adjustments except girth and there it is a two or three hole adjustment. He is a broad little tank.

Latest posts