What's your view?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

• I lean towards optimist, I can see the good side of a situation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I lean towards pessimist, I see all the things wrong with something

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

minisaremighty

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]***Well, OOPS! LOL!! I guess you can't take the poll because I set it up wrong! Some day I'll figure out how to do a poll correctly! LOL!! Now if I was a pessimist, I'd be annoyed at myself, instead, I'm just laughing at myself :bgrin :eek: ANYWAY, feel free to read the post anyway![/SIZE]

****OK, looks like we could at least get a poll for the first question and then everyone just click either response for the other two questions. Sorry!
default_wacko.png
:
default_unsure.png
: :eek: :bgrin

Hi. My name is Kathy. I'm an optimist living with a pessimist for 19 years :eek: Let's just say, it's a challenge
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Do you know the definition of "perception"? [SIZE=12pt]An intuitive judgement based on personal experience. [/SIZE]

Our perception of the world and of our lives determines if we are optimistic or pessimistic. My personal experiences have primarily been good, especially as a child. My husbands childhood was less than perfect, he experienced a lot of racial discrimination and hatred (he was the only white boy (blond haired and blued eyed, nonetheless) in an entirely hispanic school in southern CA in the 70's). He was beat up on a daily basis. I believe his pessimistic attitude toward life started out there. :no:

I just feel bad for those who are so pessimistic about things. They are missing out. Pessimism can cause a chemical imbalance in the brain and cause depression. Optimists can still become depressed, but they have an easier time recovering from it.

Here's a test you can take to determine your Optimistic level. http://www.testcafe.com/opt/opt.html

I scored 84%. Obviously, I'm not a perfect optimist :bgrin I've never met one. Overall, I would consider myself a very happy person and I enjoy my life. I would like to see everyone be a happy person and enjoy their life. I learned from my father dying at the age of 49, that l[SIZE=12pt]ife is too short to worry about the negative things. [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] My father was a silly man and he used to go around singing that song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" when I was a teen. Embarrassed the crud out of me at the time and it really used to annoy me! LOL!! NOW, as an adult and parent myself, I get it!! [/SIZE]

To be honest, I wasn't always quite this positive, it's an attitude I started making a conscientious effort to develop a couple years ago. I find that I've succeeded VERY well. My husband's pessimistic attitude used to suck me in quite often. It's been so much better since I stopped allowing that to happen! He now fully expects me to roll my eyes, tease him or just ignore him when he goes off on one of his pessimistic views on things. :bgrin He KNOWS I know his opinion on EVERYTHING, so I don't need to hear it again and again, when it's all negative.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I've noticed that my attitude has helped him come down off his major rants a whole lot faster than he used to. :aktion033:
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

OK, this is my challenge to YOU.......

[SIZE=24pt] Focus on the positive.[/SIZE] :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I feel pretty optimistic almost always! I scored a 79%. I love being around happy people, and I have the same situation as you with a spouse that is a polar opposite. As they say, opposites attract! How interesting.

My dad is a pessimist and my mom and optimist so I definately see how it effects people lol. I scored 65% on the test.

Personally, I consider myself a "realist"
default_wink.png
: I'm one of those people who thinks that things will likely go wrong, but that's ok because I can deal with it. I don't get very upset when (bad) things happen to me, and I've never been one of those "everything bad always happens to ME" pessimists. Life is rarely easy and simple, but that's what makes it interesting and I like it that way!
default_yes.gif
:

70% optimistic... I had to take the test to find my answer... lol
default_yes.gif
: I always view the glass 1/2 full if I am pouring it and 1/2 empty if I am drinking it, so what does that mean? Haa-haa.

I LOVE life, and I love all it's many surprises it holds. If I can't find a door or a window to situations, I can become concerned, but it doesn't depress me. But I do get focused on one thing at a time, and I have to plow through it and find the answer before I am satisfied and able to move on to something else... I do thrive on challanges. Some find me a little too serious with life, but I didn't grow up in a laughter filled home, so I just don't really know how to be "unserious" most of the time..... but I do know how to have fun and enjoy life! :~)

~Karen

I'm really an optimist and am usually in a good mood, however, I can be a very gifted worrier! If I have just a little fact I can weave a scary story in my mind about what might be happening with someone I love, etc., but my outlook is usually happy aside from going off on worry tangents once in awhile.

66% I am trying to work on this in my life. Can see the positive in others lives, and I keep my life hidden alot...

I have found that it is experiences in life that have made me what I am. I would like to have the perception of life lead me to doing the best I can at being optimistic but still need to be a realist to be successful. I don't need everything sugar coated to accept life for what it is. I think this world is a place to learn all I can. I do also believe that happiness is a choice no matter what are trials are. I do tend to be more on the serious side but love a good laugh. I tend to anaylze too much but it does give me a better understanding of life. I do worry some about the future of the children for what they are exposed to in such an early life. I think it is always good to go through some hardship because it teaches appreciation of what we do have. Working hard for what a person gets and has, is wonderful experience to make a person contented with life. I think people who are always wanting more and more [or even have it all] are not the happiest people in the world

I know I am not a Peter Pan and don't care to be.
default_wink.png
: Mary

[SIZE=12pt]***Well, OOPS! LOL!! I guess you can't take the poll because I set it up wrong! Some day I'll figure out how to do a poll correctly! LOL!! Now if I was a pessimist, I'd be annoyed at myself, instead, I'm just laughing at myself :bgrin :eek: ANYWAY, feel free to read the post anyway![/SIZE]

****OK, looks like we could at least get a poll for the first question and then everyone just click either response for the other two questions. Sorry!
default_wacko.png
:
default_unsure.png
: :eek: :bgrin

Hi. My name is Kathy. I'm an optimist living with a pessimist for 19 years :eek: Let's just say, it's a challenge
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Do you know the definition of "perception"? [SIZE=12pt]An intuitive judgement based on personal experience. [/SIZE]

Our perception of the world and of our lives determines if we are optimistic or pessimistic. My personal experiences have primarily been good, especially as a child. My husbands childhood was less than perfect, he experienced a lot of racial discrimination and hatred (he was the only white boy (blond haired and blued eyed, nonetheless) in an entirely hispanic school in southern CA in the 70's). He was beat up on a daily basis. I believe his pessimistic attitude toward life started out there. :no:

I just feel bad for those who are so pessimistic about things. They are missing out. Pessimism can cause a chemical imbalance in the brain and cause depression. Optimists can still become depressed, but they have an easier time recovering from it.

Here's a test you can take to determine your Optimistic level. http://www.testcafe.com/opt/opt.html

I scored 84%. Obviously, I'm not a perfect optimist :bgrin I've never met one. Overall, I would consider myself a very happy person and I enjoy my life. I would like to see everyone be a happy person and enjoy their life. I learned from my father dying at the age of 49, that l[SIZE=12pt]ife is too short to worry about the negative things. [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] My father was a silly man and he used to go around singing that song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" when I was a teen. Embarrassed the crud out of me at the time and it really used to annoy me! LOL!! NOW, as an adult and parent myself, I get it!! [/SIZE]

To be honest, I wasn't always quite this positive, it's an attitude I started making a conscientious effort to develop a couple years ago. I find that I've succeeded VERY well. My husband's pessimistic attitude used to suck me in quite often. It's been so much better since I stopped allowing that to happen! He now fully expects me to roll my eyes, tease him or just ignore him when he goes off on one of his pessimistic views on things. :bgrin He KNOWS I know his opinion on EVERYTHING, so I don't need to hear it again and again, when it's all negative.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I've noticed that my attitude has helped him come down off his major rants a whole lot faster than he used to. :aktion033:
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

OK, this is my challenge to YOU.......

[SIZE=24pt] Focus on the positive.[/SIZE] :aktion033:

[SIZE=12pt]i think i used to be a little more optimistic then i am right now. i have had almost a year of not so good things happening. everytime i thought that is has to get better something else happened. it was sooo much easier for me to be happy go lucky when things were running alittle smoother then they are now...lol...i do realize that life is full of challanges and rarely easy but right now it is too many things at once. i am trying to keep a positive outlook but sometimes it is hard, thank you for posting this it will make me try harder to see the good...
default_yes.gif
: Nikki[/SIZE]

I scored 83% and can say I'm usually very happy and when things happen, I look for a way to fix them not worry about them.

My hubby on the other hand is a pessimist. He is not nearly as bad as he was 28 years ago when we first met. He too had a tough childhood, so I learned to build his self esteem up and encourage him to look on the bright side.

My score was really low :no: I think I have just had to much on my plate for to long.. I don't expect to much out of life, but happiness once in a while would be good. ANd when I do happen to get a good day, several bad days follow. So, I guess that is why my score is so low. I just take it day to day.. And keep praying for the black cloud to leave some year.(working on 6 yrs of it, hoping soon it will go..)
default_unsure.png
:

I am only 64% optimistic according to this quiz. I think I'd put myself a little higher, but oh well. It's very interesting. At least most people here are positive thinkers!!!

I scored an 80% and I think that is very accurate!

I'm a FIRM believer that what you think, happens. Thoughts turn into things. The power of thought is amazing. SO I choose to think positively. I think that also helps when things don't exactly go my way. I also choose to value each and every thing that happens to me. Good or bad. I can learn from everything in my own way.

Sometimes my husband is a pessimist, but in the last year he has been doing a lot of soul searching and has learned a lot about the power of thought. He used to call me spoiled because if I want something, I get it! Granted sometimes I have to work really really hard for it, and sometimes it falls in my lap, but I think it's because I am a postitive thinker! Anyway, now that he is practicing positive thinking I see that he is much more laid back and less of a worry wort. He is also much more fun to be around!!

Great topic!! :aktion033:

Wow l scored a 42....l bet l'm the lowest score on here. For me the glass is half empty if it's mine and half full if it's someone elses...

I must be the eternal optimist, I scored 85%! And I, too, live with a man that is SO pessimistic he makes me crazy! He can find something wrong with even the BEST situation. I swear, someone could give him a million dollars and he'd find a way to make a negative of it
default_rolleyes.gif
: I find it very interesting that many of us on the optimistic side of life tend to be with a pessimist. Coincidence? I don't think so! I think its a polarity attraction thing, though I must admit, sometimes the hubby does drag me down with being SO incredibly negative. Very cool stuff, thanks for the post. It helps me to see that I'm not so different. Sometimes I find myself saying, "Self...how did you get with a guy that has such a negative view of the world ALL the time?" But I think its far more common that there's one of each in a relationship than people think. Anywho...thanks, this was fun!

Jodi

II find it very interesting that many of us on the optimistic side of life tend to be with a pessimist. Coincidence? I don't think so! I think its a polarity attraction thing... Jodi

I've been with both types and am now with someone who simply takes life as it comes. I actually almost prefer his attitude over my (usually) optimistic approach...
default_wacko.png
: except when it comes to getting things done! LOL
default_wub.png
:

:saludando: Hi I am a recovering pessimist :bgrin if enough cr@p happens often enough one begins to just believe thats the way it is.

So now when cr@p happens I try to respond with..."I'll try again tomorrow" :bgrin :bgrin maybe eventually I will even convince myself.
default_unsure.png
:
default_wink.png
: sadly this is not helping my procrastination :eek: :eek:

I have found I am now enjoying the simple things in life.....flicking slugs off my plants they have just devoured gives me great pleasure :bgrin :bgrin I bask in the glory of 30 seconds of clean mopped floor...then I let the dog's in
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: I love spring.......the joyous sounds of birds singing, cats breeding, neighbor kids screaming, lawnmowers at all hours, rain and hail beating on the roof...ahhhh yes and the smells of flowers and trees and, of mud, and wet dog......ah the simple pleasures of spring
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Back