What's the one colour you wouldn't want in your breeding program?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What wouldn't you choose?

• Roan

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Pinto

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Silver anything

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Appaloosa

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • Chestnut

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Black

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Bay

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Double Dilute (Cremello, Perlino)

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • Buckskin

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Grey

Votes: 67 43.5%
  • Palomino

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters
I am going to go ahead and post again in better detail. . .

I used to not like greys, anything with silver and hated cremellos and perlinos. . .until I fell in love with buckskins and palominos and smokey blacks LOL. . ..

The one color I would LOVE to have as a performance gelding would be a dapple grey with a solid black mane and tail - only seen a few in my experience with miniatures - a lot in QH's and TB's and I just LOVE it. Would NEVER use it in breeding. . .wait I take that back. . . . .a forum member recently posted her new addition who I would to have LOVED to have had it was a filly/mare who was a dapply grey splash overo with a blue eye I believe? Yeah - I'd take her in a heartbeat
default_rolleyes.gif
(no joking - I'm being serious)

To make a long story short, I purchased a solid cremello stallion (will be giving him 3 mares this year - his first year breeding) to help me get the buckskins, palominos and smokey blacks - all the colors I love! So yeah I had to get past all the scarey pink skin but it's not that bad after you get used to it - plus the genetics are just awesome!

I was looking this past October for a really loud frame overo/splash mare to add to the herd and what did I come home with? A SOLID SILVER BAY
default_laugh.png
I hated silver anything (I think it's contagious and suddenly every foal thereafter is a silver something haha) but one look at her and she stole my heart. She's also my first mare due to foal and I could care less if it carries or expresses silver! I know my pasture pics do not give her justice but she's a very square and balanced mare who I feel that I am very lucky to have in my herd. She's actually made me fall in love with silver bays - I love the dramatic colors in her mane and tail!

So there you have it folks - a GREAT horse is ALWAYS A GREAT COLOR. Never say never - you'll end up regretting and eating those words. Eventually a horse will come along and steal your heart and will be the one color you cant stand.

Even tho its I'll never get this color for me at least (unless Sentra dose throw me one which is possible), I have to say my new favorite color is brendle like Riverdance's "Marbles"
default_wub.png

So there you have it folks - a GREAT horse is ALWAYS A GREAT COLOR. Never say never - you'll end up regretting and eating those words. Eventually a horse will come along and steal your heart and will be the one color you cant stand.
Isn't that the truth. I voted appaloosa, which I still don't care for, but I do have an appaloosa bred mare in my herd. She barely shows characteristics, but her sire was a silversomething leopard appy. And, I just love this mare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back