What's the one colour you wouldn't want in your breeding program?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What wouldn't you choose?

• Roan

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Pinto

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Silver anything

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Appaloosa

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • Chestnut

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Black

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Bay

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Double Dilute (Cremello, Perlino)

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • Buckskin

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Grey

Votes: 67 43.5%
  • Palomino

Votes: 6 3.9%

• Total voters

Matt73

Reaction score
Okay. Most of us know that there are no wrong colours; it's the horse that counts. That being said, if you had two of the exact horses in front of you that were different colours what wouldn't you choose? For me, it would be anything roan. I know many of these aren't colours, but more modifiers...but for simplicity's sake, let's just group them together
default_biggrin.png

There are some beautiful grey horses out there - but they just don't appeal to me as much as other colors.

I dont like black...

only way if I do would be a nice black bay like a mule color black bay...

Nor grey or silver, BUT I do own a silver dapple that is just stunning, but thats it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted bay--but I don't mean a nice red bay, the bay that I absolutely don't want, be it for breeding or just to own, is the yucky mule brown/bay. I loathe that color. It would have to be a very, very nice horse before I would buy it in spite of it being that color--and to be honest I can't imagine that there is a horse out there that is nice enough to overcome that awful color!
default_laugh.png

Second would probably be appaloosa; I like a nice blanket appy and the loud leopards but wouldn't want too many of them in my herd. I don't go for the varnish apps at all

Not a huge fan of homozygous gray. I like having more variety with my colors vs knowing they will always wash out. Also I am not horridly excited about the silver modifier though I have seen some silvers that have blown me away. My first mini was silver bay and he was the best and I have one that I am pretty sure is homozygous gray
default_rolleyes.gif
. I adore both of them obviously, this is just taking color (in this case the color modifier) into mind.

I voted Grey, but I have one! LOL
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png
Love her and she is bred, but do NOT want any more!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png
She is all I have for a brood mare, but she is a Great show horse! She has a 4-H State first place in mini mares & over all grand champ (against big horses) , over all horse in our local club, and made me over all youth in that club too under her belt for her first show season! She placed 3rd in mine and her first AMHR show. Can't wait for this baby this year!!!
005-Copy.jpg

Anyway back to the poll. All of the other colors I would WANT! I want a rainbow of colors!
default_biggrin.png

No perlino or grey wanted here...but have come to pretend a nice shinny black while walking past my fave GREY driving gelding..so you just never know about color till that one special one comes along even wearing a shade that doesn't appeal
default_no.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
other then that l'll take a bay or black any day..

Light chestnuts and the dull bays I don't like much. For patterns I really don't like bald faces, though one of my favorite broodmares had a bald face and 2 more who I would never ever part with have apron faces. Because I have too many silvers as it is (and because once you have one silver your whole herd seems to turn silver) I don't think I would buy one unless it was VERY special. Really I like most colors/patterns though and would take on any if the horse was the conformation I like.

Well I had to say grey since its for the breeding program aspect (I love a solid grey-gorgeous, but not a pinto or appy since it eventually fades away to white and any awesome pattern can no longer be seen). I just dont like the odds for a grey horse's foal to turn grey and ruin the color, that being said I had a grey stallion and bred him to one mare and have a non grey pinto foal, bred him back to the same mare for this year so might still get one grey from him, but he is a gelding now mainly because he was a little too hot headed for a stallion plus being grey, it was only a matter of time until I gelded him LOL! As for perlino/cremello horses I dont particularly care for the color itself but like to keep it in my breeding program to produce those gorgeous buckskins and palominos!

This is an interesting conversation. I don't have a breeding program and very likely, never will... but I am certainly a horse nut and am smitten by the minis.
default_wub.png

In the course of doing a lot of rescue, I've probably had every color and pattern out there at one point or another LOL... and I've been surprised by some horses in a color that I otherwise HATE but in that particular horse, love it. For instance, I'm not a big fan of chestnut/sorrel but we had an OTTB that was the ORANGEST chestnut and he was gorgeous!
default_new_shocked.gif

IF I were a breeder, I'd love to learn more about duns, buckskins, blacks and all of those interesting genetics... and I would not want to have any roans.

Uhg I hate silver dapple AND
148297_156168384427763_100001038064601_311800_7545235_n.jpg
grey... Guess what... here is my stallion. Silver dapple grey stallion. Who woulda thunk it. He is awesome though.

I like all colors, but when I get a foal that's all white except for a tiny patch of color on an ear or on the poll, I cringe a little, as they are just so darn hard to keep them looking good when it's muddy and filthy outside. And the grass stains are SO apparent!

I would have a grey mare- they only have one foal a year and that has a fifty fifty chance of not being grey, but I would not use a grey stallion.

I know there are people that like greys- I am happy for them- I am not one of them and grey just messes up colours, patterns and everything. So, no, no matter how nice the horse, I would not use a grey stallion. My loss, I know!
default_rolleyes.gif

For myself I am not too fussed about colour, but my daughter really does not like chestnuts so a couple of 'funny' stories......

My original mini mare (solid bay) came to me when she was in foal as a 3 year old for her first foal. She foaled the following year a chestnut and white pinto. She is now 21 and over the years she has thrown many different colours for me depending upon the stallion used - bays, blacks, black and white pintos, appy, but never another chestnut. One of her daughters (black and white pinto) is extremely stunning so we decided to repeat that breeding (to my Falabella boy). Great excitement waiting for this foal to arrive (last year), we were waiting right there at the birth ready to greet a replica baby.........she threw a CHESTNUT!! LOL!! I wont say what daughter said!!

Last year anyway was nearly a 'disaster' colour wise for poor daughter. We covered most of our girls with Dragon (Darmonds Boogermans Bravado) - sorrel pinto and overo LWO+ - and rightly expected to get some colour from our coloured girls. The first 4 foals to be born were SOLID CHESTNUTS!! LOL!! Daughter nearly gave up, but I couldn't help laughing!! The next two (from black and white pinto mares) were solid black - more acceptable in daughter's eyes - but the rest were coloured in various ways, so redeemed themselves. LOL!

Just goes to show you can never count on what colour will appear from our wonderful minis.
default_wub.png

Anna

Bred a black mare to a black, minimal Tobiano.

Got a chestnut foal!

Bred the chestnut foal (mare) to a black base Fewspot Pintaloosa.

Got a bay base blanket Appy.

Lo que sera!

The only sure thing about horse colour/pattern is that there is no sure thing.
default_laugh.png

Gosh, I can think of examples in every single color that I would be proud to own and happy to use in our program. However, I picked appy as my least desirable. I don't see as much of the type of horse I like in that color yet I can think of some jaw dropping, amazing horses of that variety that are complete eye candy. My second least favorite color "thing" is many other peoples' favorite and that's pinto. I almost always prefer a solid color horse over a pinto.

Good horses don't come in bad colors. As far as preferred colors, I really like cream dilutes and also silvers. Partial to true greys as well. Lots of these colors in our herd.

The only color I don't think I'd own would be grey, I don't like the looks of it, how it fades the original color. It also "erases" the spots I'm trying to get on a horse in my breeding program (for appaloosa).

I'm not a big fan of silver or solid chesnut, but I've seen horses in those colors that I would love to own, so a good horse really isn't a bad color.
default_smile.png

Most of you know I breed a lot of pinto and overo
default_smile.png
LOL

But I will never turn down a great horse because of color.

For awhile I owned a grey stallion because he was/is amazing.(D&S Nestlies Crunch now owned by Fran) He gave me this stunning grey daughter. Like her sire she is a very slow greying miniature. She was undefeated in huge color classes at the Ohio World show 2 years in a row and numerous other halter and color wins when she was showing. My top glory with her was winning Champion Halter mare against some farms that I have admired for years at the area national show a long with her numerous owned, bred and shown by wins.

By the way her dam is a frame overo lol.

A great horse is NEVER a bad color!

promiseheadneckjodi-355x278.jpg

baxterssilversensation-257x327.jpg

Latest posts

Back