What's the GOOD things that happened in 2005?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 3 beautiful foals born here

My twin grandsons were born!

Added some new horses

Got closer to my son and grandson

Bought a new truck

Worked at a camp that provided care for hurricane victims

Met some wonderful new friends

2005 was an excellent year for us (Fox Holler Farm).

My husband got a better paying job -- and he likes the place where he works.

I am still employed with a wonderful job.

The heart attack I THOUGHT I had -- was NOT a heart attack (maybe indigestion?) and my heart is healthier than most horses' hearts!!

My parents and siblings are all alive and pretty healthy --

I have a new grand-niece or grand-nephew on the way for early 2006 delivery

We have many wonderful friends - local and over the internet (including Lil Beginnings people).

We joined a local ADS driving club -- and have lots of new driving friends to get to know. We belong to a wonderful miniature horse club -- lots of great people there.

We purchased a few new horses -- and donated one to a program that helps troubled teenage girls (and sold them a 2nd mini).

We fix our barn floor and installed our permanent stalls --- and sometime in the next 60 days I will have REAL ELECTRIC in our barn. Later this spring we will have RUNNING WATER in the barn.

Our horses are healthy -- so are our cats and dogs -- we did lose one beloved cat and one beloved dog in 2005.

On a sad note for us, some of our family/friends/mini people have chosen to leave KY and relocate to TX -- its a great move for them -- and a great loss for us -- although we will try to stay in touch via cell phone and the internet. They taught me practically everything I know about minis -- and are wonderful friends to boot. They are my husband's cousins and aunt/uncle. So we will miss them very very much -- but know they will be much happier where they are choosing to live.

We look forward to 2006 as another adventure.

We are sorry for those who experienced loss, devastation and poor health in 2005. Hurricanes, Floods, Earthquakes, Fires, Tornados -- all the disasters -- took their toll on many people's lives. We helped where we could -- but even that is not enough.

Best wishes to all for the coming years.

Happy New Year

Fox Holler Farm

(JJ and Kim)

There are lots of good things that happened to me this year ...

I got a new (to me) car in March that has proved to be reliable and practical - I'd had enough of plunking money into my old truck! Plus, the reduced gas bill is VERY nice. Even when prices were sky high, I was laughing!

We continued our work on the house and I now have most of the upstairs re-done - except one bedroom (needs wallpaper stripped and new paint), part of the bathroom (just needs paint for now and eventually, replacement of the ugly blue sink/toilet/bathtub), kitchen (need new counters) and part of the dining room (just have to strip the ugly floral wallpaper at some point and paint). We have all the materials for a couple of other projects, but we just have not found the time to do them - namely tiling and installing wainscotting in our main entry way. I can't wait to see how gorgeous the slate looks when we finally put it in!

I got knocked up in June after 1.5 years of trying to get pregnant. Of course, the downside of that would be puking for five months straight and then giving that up for almost-constant heartburn (I should buy shares in Tums), but hey, it'll all be worth it in early March!

I bought myself a cocker spaniel puppy in October and he's the new little light of my life. I'm never lonely when Murphy the Smurfy is around! He's almost five months old now and he is my constant companion and shadow when I'm home. He is especially nice now that he is past the teething puppy stage and prefers to chew on his rawhide bone rather than on my fingers and toes. He also helped convince hubby that having a dog in the house, at least part time, is not such a bad thing. I'm working ever-so-slowly towards having a chihuahua or other small house dog at some point!

I also joined the 21st century with the addition of a dishwasher and the re-wiring of the basement so the dryer can be hooked up again. I can now do my household stuff twice as fast! Might seem small to many of you, but after five years of doing dishes by hand and hanging laundry to dry on a line, this is a huge improvement to my life! I can do more than one load of laundry a day in the winter! Although, I have to admit, I love hanging laundry outside in the summer and will probably continue to do so. I love being able to do six loads in a day and have them all drying on our huge laundry lines outside.

At work, we received a new publisher in August and since then, he and I have worked very hard and we've turned a paper in decline into a paper that is better than it's ever been in its 97 year history. I'm very proud of this transformation and the role I played in it!

Relationship wise, hubby and I didn't get divorced
smile.gif
and I think our relationship is better than ever. We still scrap and fight - we're both pigheaded and stubborn - but it's less often and less severe. I think every year that we are married is a huge accomplishment in this day and age. We're coming up on four years of marriage, five years of living together and six years total of being together pretty quick here! That's almost 25 per cent of my young life with this one man!

Personal-business wise, I am taking a break from freelance writing - doing too much writing with my real job to even consider it. This summer, I took and sold a ton of photos and for the first time, saw my work appear in the AMHA magazine - twice! Back in September, I decided to take a break from accepting new web design clients until after my baby is born in order to minimize stress.

Another thing I consider to be a personal accomplishment is seeing my oldest nephew turn his schooling around. Last year, he was going through a stage where he didn't care about school and was falling behind, failing, or just not doing well in a lot of subjects. I worked with him during the summer and encouraged him to think about his future and I am so happy to report that he is now passing everything and has improved his grades considerably and has a plan for his future. He is taking one course by correspondence to catch up on what he messed up on last year. He's also holding down a steady, part-time job. I know I can't take sole credit for his transformation, but I will certainly take some!

Okay on the postive side.... I posted on the bad year.. I will say the best party of this year for us was gettin to move to Tennessee, something we didn't think would have happen for several years... we are now closer to my family and hubby pays no taxes now and works NO SUNDAYS... something that makes us very happy. Hubby likes the new crew he has here, same company different state. Had a healthy litter of pups out of our miniature schnauzer, found wonderful homes for all the horses we sold to help pay for renovations on our new house. Got to buy a new mini trailer first part of 2005, and got a new stallion last March
yes.gif

Great thread!

Some good things that have happened around here in 2005 are:

We got Skyler and she foaled a beautiful baby boy, Stetson, in April.

I got my show gelding, Rio, for Christmas.

Shiloh, 4 yr old unbreedable mini mare, went to a handicapped riding facility to be brushed and loved on by the students there. Its only a half hour away so we get to go visit her. Best part is though that she finally has a job she enjoys!

Family, friends, and pets are all in good health.

We were able to share another Christmas with our 15 year old toy poodle, Sugar.

We have an awesome group of horsey friends around here that we were able to spend time with.

I got my first job a few months ago and it is great for me.

I showed my mini horse, Brie, for the first time this year.

Shiloh, our mini mare, was very sick and the vet wasnt sure if she would make it. She came through and is as happy and healthy as ever.

We had a good year with the minis (even with vet bill he**l) and feeling like we were personally building the vet hospital a new wing, we only lost one of the horses there and he was unlikely to have made it (congenital kidney problems) from birth, so I feel like it was win, even though my bank account may say otherwise!

We did sell quite a number of horses, and all appear to be to good homes and overall foaling season was a breeze this year. Learned a few things too, like a mare will deliver when a foal has a foreleg all the way back - we had two that did that.

My kids took their first year of showing, and seemed to enjoy it - my daughter's 'a bring me another horse' and ready to show type. Many of the the adults and trainers get a laugh of her in the Open classes, as she really tries, has fun congratulats the winners, and enjoys winning herself! Showing was also fun as we were with a bunch of great ladies (wcr, sedeh, bluerogue from the Forum), which made the downtime pass quickly and with lots of fun!

We added three new minis (purchases) and had 17 live foals. We were going to only retain 4, but haven't stuck to that!

Family we had one loss - my grandfather - but he was 89, had just heard he was to be a grandfather again (my brother's wife pregnant with twins), in good spirits from what everyone said that saw him, went to bed and died in his sleep! I consider that the perfect way to go. We also added my adorable new nephews - Aidan and Alaric in August.

Overall it wasn't the worst year, but definitely not the best either! In general, I feel very blessed, good family, friends, four legged babies and my beloved, wonderful minis!

cheers.gif
Cheers to a wonderful New Year and super 2006 for everyone!
cheers.gif

Back