What would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
Okay, here's my situation. I am fairly new to the miniature horse world. I bought my first one in 2006 but I have had Quarter Horses for over 20 years. Anyhoo, I have a beautiful 27" buckskin mare that will be two in March. I really think she could kick some major butt in the 28" and under mare class but here's my conundrum. Chances are this mare will never be breed so there will be no resulting foals to advertise "out of World Champion" blah, blah, blah. Also, I bought her so she doesn't carry my farm name. I have a trainer that would like to campaign her but am I just throwing money away? I have to really consider if this is a good business move. Does anybody have an opinion? I'd love to hear it!!
default_saludando.gif

When you campaign and win with this little mare, YOUR name will be called as the owner of the horse. That in itself is advertising for your farm/ranch.

If not breeding horses at all and just for fun! How much fun can you have with a WINNER! LOTS....

Just take her out to one show and get her qualified for World. Keep her in shape and take her to World Show and clean up
default_smile.png
Not so much money that way.......

B

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it comes down to how much money you can afford to spend, and how much you want to spend on showing when it is just for fun, and not for specifically promoting a breeding program.

We're in the same boat--we are not breeding for sale and so our showing is for fun and not for promoting our farm. We don't have a lot of money to spare so cannot justify paying to place a horse with a trainer & have that horse shown big time--nor can we justify spending a couple thousand dollars to haul to Nationals or any other distant show and show our horse(s) ourselves. It would be fun to do that, but truth is I cannot afford to have that much fun!
default_laugh.png

If you can afford it and you want to put that money out for the fun of seeing your horse in the ring at a number of the big shows and collecting whatever awards that horse can win then it may be worth it for you. Then from there if you do decide to do some breeding and showing you would have a horse that has a good show record...

Just because someone elses name is on a horse, dose'nt mean they bred a good show horse...

You as the current owner who put your time and money and dreams into that horse, makes it a good show horse.
default_biggrin.png

Are you saying she'll probably never be bred because she is too small??

I just sold a tiny 28", very refined mare because all of my stallions are over 30". The lady that I sold her to has a 27.5" National champion producing stallion she will be breeding her to.

If you showed her in the 28" and under class and she did well, I would look around for some amazing 28" and under stallion to breed her to. There are some truly gorgeous 28" and under stallions out there....I've noticed in the past couple of years that the very small ones are getting more refined and much more proportionate, which I love.

Not only could you end up with a winning show mare, but you could produce some amazing, tiny foals out of her if you bred her right. The tiny, tiny ones are in high demand right now too!

Good luck!

Look how many show geldings, almost the same thing. If she's that good I'd go for it. A winning horse can still benefit you. My national champion gelding is how some people know me, so I think worth it and more. Plus winning is pretty fun.
default_smile.png

I would show her regardless if you plan to breed her. Ive got a 27.5" yearling buckskin stallion that I am planning to take in the show ring next year too. They would make a beautiful couple!
default_biggrin.png

I agree that 27" is too small to breed, and I commend you for thinking that way.

It's all fine til something goes wrong, with the tines!!

Not worth the risk, I don't think.

So, what to do??

IF you have the money to put into this little mare then I would do it if it will give you pleasure.

I will not show anything that does not have my farm name on it, ie that I bred, and that is with me showing it, not paying for a trainer, so I would not have bought your little mare in the first place.

But you have her and she obviously gives you joy.

Now you have to ask yourself will she give you more joy if she wins in the show ring, or is the joy of owning and caring for her enough??

Good luck with her whichever you choose, she is lucky to have you!

I HAVE A 27" MARE THAT I HAVE BRED WITH GREAT SUCESS. YES I WATCH HER WHEN IN FOAL AND DELIVERING AND I USE A STALLION WHO DOWN SIZES. I ALSO HAVE A 29" STALLION WHO I'VE SHOWN AND WON WITH. HE IS RESERVE NATIONAL CHAMPION HUNTER, YOUTH. NOW HE IS DRIVING AND WINNING. I'M HAVING MORE FUN NOW JUST SHOWING FOR FUN. SINCE I'M ON A LIMITED BUDGET NOW I CHOOSE WHAT SHOWS I DO, WITH FUN AND FRIENDS AS TOP PRIORTY. DO IT FOR FUN, THAT MEANS AS MUCH AS A TOP WIN NOW. NOT SAYING I WOULDN'T MIND A CHANCE TO KICK SOME MAJOR BUTT. JUST ENJOY IT.

In my opinion, 27 inch mare is awfully small for foaling unless you are prepared and knowledgeable for whatever could happen........As for showing? Like Carolyn said - it's very much like having a show gelding that comes from another farm.

One nice thing with having your little mare professionally trained (if you can afford it)........Once she's trained you can take her out as an amateur yourself and have a blast!

The fact that she measures 27" is not the sole reason to not breed. I have several that size who breed & easily foal. Yes, some cannot -- just as some 33" mares cannot!! With both sizes, I can tell you that the small ones do not give me more issues with foaling than the taller gals. IF you have to go in to assist there IS FAR LESS ROOM, to move the foal, that is true and the biggest concern. But, most of my girls lay down and push them out with no help.
default_laugh.png

So........back to show or not. Sure, why not? One of my little girls STILL loves to jump and she's now 21
default_wacko.png
default_wub.png
She was AMHA '94 Natl Halter Champ at 7 1/2 yrs and 5 months in foal. These little ones are amazing!!

flashy94light.jpg

Get her out and show her. That will get your farm name out there as well. Then you can breed her to one of your small stallions. There is a ton of little mares out there like her that are broodmares. Thats where the true miniatures come from. Those "little horses".

Thank you everybody for your responses. I sure do appreciate everybody's thoughts and opinions and you have give me

much to think about, consequently, I am leaning more toward showing her. Miniature horse people continue to impress me

via the way you support, encourage, and enthusiastically help people. You guys are the best.
default_wink.png

I show my favorite horse every year, Doors, hes a gelding so he will never be bred, and hes not my farm name. But I have more fun with him then any of them!

Thank you everybody for your responses. I sure do appreciate everybody's thoughts and opinions and you have give memuch to think about, consequently, I am leaning more toward showing her. Miniature horse people continue to impress me

via the way you support, encourage, and enthusiastically help people. You guys are the best.
default_wink.png
I agree!
default_biggrin.png
New to minis am surprised and pleased to have such a fun group to share my passion with! Thanks guys

UPDATE: I just thought I'd let my forum friends know that I took your advice and Inspiration will make her debut at the Julep Cup show with Danielle Hill. My daughter will also be showing her in the youth class so we are pretty excited. I'm asking a lot out of Danielle because she just got her three weeks ago and she is chubby as seems to be the case with all my horses.
default_rolleyes.gif

If anyone else is going, it would be fun to meet. I will be there with Tami Melby of Triple K and my daughter Sydney (morning mist). Stop by and say hi.
default_smile.png

Debbie, Even more than having her professionally shown I think you would have a blast showing her. Having had show experience with your QHs gives you an edge. A little mare like that would be extremely fun to show. If I could show I definitely would!
default_wub.png

Ah, I see that you are having her shown and your daughter is, as well! Cool! I hope she does wonderfully!!!
default_biggrin.png

Best of luck!! You will have a total blast and it's amazing how many judges actually follow the standard of perfection and place the tiny ones (who deserve it) above the taller ones. It happens more and more every year. And Mizbeth is so right...it's YOUR name that gets called when she wins. That's wonderful advertisement!!
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back