What would you do witgh this horse, condition wise?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstar

Reaction score
This is my 3 year old stallion. I have been working hard to condition him through exercise and feeding. I just feel im not getting it right. Im in England and he is more the "hunter" type of miniature and therefore more stockier than some of your American minis. Can anyone advice on how to improve his condition??

He is free lunged 5-6 times a week and we have just increased it from 20 mins to 30 mins at a trot and canter. He is on a 16% protein studmix with beet pulp. He doesnt get any hay but is on limited grazing 24/7 ( just enough to mean i dont need to put hay out ) He has been wormed and teeth done too.

He does look like he gets a bloated belly but you can just about see his ribs ( more in the first photo where the sun catches his body ) so i dont think he's getting fat. Any ideas where im going wrong??

P1050633_edited.jpg

P1050640_edited.jpg

Someone suggested putting small jumps in the round pen to help with underlines, I have been doing this and it does work...

Actially he looks good right now with no more weight loss. He is beautiful, but I think a little thin for his breed. If he is not an AMHA ( with Arabian in him) then he is thin enough for the showing standard in Switzerland . I have 2 minis from France , bloodlines to England , look up the photo in the miniature horse forum under "for krissy3" the gray and piebald are both the shetlands from England... they are very different from the first photo of the black AMHA AMHR concieved in USA, born here in Switzerland. You wont be able to get him to look any thinner , or like a AMHA registered horse . Look and compare photos of other Shetlands from the Shetland Islands , dont try to compare him to an American Shetland. He is very nice. hope you understand what i am saying.

Actially he looks good right now with no more weight loss. He is beautiful, but I think a little thin for his breed. If he is not an AMHA ( with Arabian in him) then he is thin enough for the showing standard in Switzerland . I have 2 minis from France , bloodlines to England , look up the photo in the miniature horse forum under "for krissy3" the gray and piebald are both the shetlands from England... they are very different from the first photo of the black AMHA AMHR concieved in USA, born here in Switzerland. You wont be able to get him to look any thinner , or like a AMHA registered horse . Look and compare photos of other Shetlands from the Shetland Islands , dont try to compare him to an American Shetland. He is very nice. hope you understand what i am saying.
Yes i think i know what your saying!
default_biggrin.png
He is partbred American but i have an "English" mini shetland and he is totally different!! He is a Dels Cowboy grandson and his sire is an American import. I dont really want him thinner as he isnt the refined type, i know that but i do think i could condition him more. He just doesnt seem to be putting condition on in the right places??

Last edited by a moderator:
Two words.

Daily. Dewormer.

I used to detest it, but I used it, and now I just can't get enough of it! It filled out my paint horse to perfection, put the proper ammount of weight back onto my 29 year old (he was really thin after winter - despite a 6 week rotation worming schedule), and it rid of the pot belly on the old companion pony. I use the Continuex brand. Strongid is more expensive, but Continuex has the SAME ingredients in it, and it'd more economical.

I agree with doing a couple of things for your boy.......

The daily wormer is a good idea. I've heard of others doing that with results.

The other suggestion of using low jumps while longeing I know also works.

Sorry two different opinions from me...No daily wormer...You couldn't pay me enough to put poison (that IS what it is you know) into my horses on a daily basis AND that horse is FAT - get some weight off. If you don't believe me look at the wrinkles over his withers. Less food and daily exercise and he'll look great
default_biggrin.png

He is free lunged 5-6 times a week and we have just increased it from 20 mins to 30 mins at a trot and canter. He is on a 16% protein studmix with beet pulp. He doesnt get any hay but is on limited grazing 24/7 ( just enough to mean i dont need to put hay out ) He has been wormed and teeth done too

This all sounds ok to me except the feed, i would have thought 16% protein was way to much for this little guy more like a maximum of 12% anyone can correct me if im wrong im no feed expert but i have my weened foals on 16% not older horses or good does, this with the beet pulp??? Sounds like to much weight adder??
default_biggrin.png

Sorry two different opinions from me...No daily wormer...You couldn't pay me enough to put poison (that IS what it is you know) into my horses on a daily basis AND that horse is FAT - get some weight off. If you don't believe me look at the wrinkles over his withers. Less food and daily exercise and he'll look great
default_biggrin.png
I think she is giving him daily exercise . I agree no daily wormer , I just read an article in Horse and Rider from the UK , and its about overworming and worms building a resistance to the wormers. I worm every 2nd month , and NO more than that, also rotate wormers , never Quest.I DONT think for his build and breed that he is fat ...he looks GREAT , you could put a few poles in the round pen just to tighten his belly.If you are showing in the UK, I dont think they will want him to look thinner , unless you show him under the guidelines of AMHA AMHR..I have been to a few shows from the Shetland horse club, and they were all thick strong, and stout , the ones taking first place were the thick ones , the scrawney refined ones , never placed even though they were beautiful . Check with your club, and what is expected for the breed of that horse, and where you will be showing him. I believe he is not registered with AMHA, if only one parent is registered ? I could be wrong. To me its like trying to make a Quarter Horse look like an Arab, because his dam was an Arab.

This is just my oppinion. Others will disagree. Did you ask on the SP web forum? First figure out what club you will be showing him under , then go from there.

No, no daily wormer for me either, ever, the resistance has been building up for years, the papers have only just been published but they are on the Internet if you care to look, as is the info.

He looks the right weight for his build, no point in making him thin it will not take any weight off his legs!!!

I think you have it about right, I use 16% on my animals, foals et al, that is not TDN, remember, it is gross, so it is about right, I even add full fat soya to it for the stallions...is he "working" or is he just a stay at home colt?? (has he had any mares???)

I am not seeing an excessively overweight boy here. I wonder how much grain he is getting - if you are weighing it for him?

I would try the poles and then also if you have a hill, lunge him on the hill for a couple times a week.

Thanks everyone for your commments!!

He has been wormed with a 5 day wormer in the last few weeks but i also worm count too so i dont believe its that. He hasnt covered any mares yet so maybe this is a factor??

He is getting about 600g grain aday which is a complete stud mix and molasses free beet plus alittle oil.

I agree he is never going to be a refined type no matter how i try its just his overall condition i am struggling with. His belly seems quite large to the rest of his body and i cant figure out why. Ive been lunging including over raised poles but it doesnt seem to make any difference yet i can feel and sometimes see his ribs so im unsure whether i actually need to reduce his feed or up it????

He is shown under the British minature Horse Society, The Miniature Horse Club of Great Bbritain ( who show more like AMHA ) and the International Miniature Horse and Pony Ssociety. He is shown against AMHA horses although here they seem to split the "types" into refined and draft and he is shown under the draft classes.

Thanks everyone for your commments!!
He has been wormed with a 5 day wormer in the last few weeks but i also worm count too so i dont believe its that. He hasnt covered any mares yet so maybe this is a factor??

He is getting about 600g grain aday which is a complete stud mix and molasses free beet plus alittle oil.

I agree he is never going to be a refined type no matter how i try its just his overall condition i am struggling with. His belly seems quite large to the rest of his body and i cant figure out why. Ive been lunging including over raised poles but it doesnt seem to make any difference yet i can feel and sometimes see his ribs so im unsure whether i actually need to reduce his feed or up it????

He is shown under the British minature Horse Society, The Miniature Horse Club of Great Bbritain ( who show more like AMHA ) and the International Miniature Horse and Pony Ssociety. He is shown against AMHA horses although here they seem to split the "types" into refined and draft and he is shown under the draft classes.
I rteally dont think his belly looks large, and if you can feel his ribs sometimes then he is definatly not fat.. I am not a vet or expert by any means , but I also have a 3 yera old , and every year his body changes a little ...your horse is still very young, I would be very happy to have a horse that looks as nice as your horse at age 3, maybe you can change your mind about him ...he is still a baby in my eyes. What I personally would like to see is that guy getting a little grass or straw hay to chew on . Its my own personal oppinion , but I like horses to have a balance of grass hay , straw in the night if you want it to give him something to chew on, (a handful) , along with grain.I personally hate to see horses only get pellet food, and no hay , it seems a little un natural. just my oppinion. I only give grain or "food" in winter when there is no pasture grass, and year round they have fresh straw bedding every day , and good home grown Alp grass....no fat , oil, additives , just a mineral block and carrots , and vitamins. My horses have soft hair and a beautiful natural shine. I do brush every day and that helps. Keep it simple, these horses lived for centuries on twigs , grass, and leaves.

I rteally dont think his belly looks large, and if you can feel his ribs sometimes then he is definatly not fat.. I am not a vet or expert by any means , but I also have a 3 yera old , and every year his body changes a little ...your horse is still very young, I would be very happy to have a horse that looks as nice as your horse at age 3, maybe you can change your mind about him ...he is still a baby in my eyes. What I personally would like to see is that guy getting a little grass or straw hay to chew on . Its my own personal oppinion , but I like horses to have a balance of grass hay , straw in the night if you want it to give him something to chew on, (a handful) , along with grain.I personally hate to see horses only get pellet food, and no hay , it seems a little un natural. just my oppinion. I only give grain or "food" in winter when there is no pasture grass, and year round they have fresh straw bedding every day , and good home grown Alp grass....no fat , oil, additives , just a mineral block and carrots , and vitamins. My horses have soft hair and a beautiful natural shine. I do brush every day and that helps. Keep it simple, these horses lived for centuries on twigs , grass, and leaves.
Ah thanks, He is out 24/7 but does have access to grass. Its just enough for them to nibble at but enough that they dont need hay out.

Thanks for everyones comments they have been a great help

Latest posts

Back