What would be more stressful to my minis on this extremely hot day?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle

Reaction score
I'm torn on what to do here. The flies have just started getting worse with the horses for the first time this year, and I was thinking of putting flymasks on them. I know it has to be somewhat annoying to have flies on your face all day, but would it be equally as distressing, if not more, to put flymasks on them for the first time ever? What would you all do? I just want to cause them as little stress and anxiety as possible when it's so warm.

I personally just wipe them with fly spray as mine are out in the field 24/7 and I can't see them from the house. I would be worried that they could get them caught or something.

One of our mares had a little eye discharge, so as part of her treatment, I put a fly mask on her for the first time - no trouble at all for her. We also put a fly mask with long nose cover on our white mare to protect her from getting a sunburned nose - she took to it just fine. I'll bet money she had never worn one before - she was pretty neglected when she came to us this year. Of course, we take the masks off in the evening when we bring them in to their stalls.

I love fly masks for my horses - my big guys wear them virtually all summer. Just make sure they fit their faces properly, aren't too tight when velcro'd on, and have plenty of room over their eyes. The Cashel foal size fits most of our minis. We occasionally find them in the field where they've rubbed them off, but I don't mind - I'd rather they come off than not! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on the horse - most of mine were absolutely fine the first time the fly mask was put on, and some of mine wear them 24/7. The masks have velcro and are pretty easy to come off - we find them in the pasture all the time! Also, they like to take each others' fly masks off, especially over or through a fence! Now, we do have one that has a real issue with it, so hers stays on all the time. If you walk up to one with a fly mask in your hand, it should be pretty easy to tell if they will be stressed by it or not. Once they are ON, none of ours mind it, no matter how stressed they seemed with the actually process of getting it on. And they really do help! Fans also help by circulating the air.

Put the fly masks on. I have three cremello mares wearing them during the day ( I take them off at night) I have a gelding that wears one and a cremello stallion that won't leave his on more than five minutes. They are made to come off if they get caught on anything. The horses I used them on had no problem from the first day I put them on.

If the flies are really bothering their faces/eyes, for sure put the masks on. I very much doubt any of them will be too stressed by having the mask on. You may find one (or more) of them are very suspicious of having the mask come at their faces the first time, but once it's on they will almost certainly say okay, whatever, and not worry about it.

I've never had a problem with fly masks. Couldn't live without them in summer. Even the donkeys wear them. As someone else said make sure they fit properly and are not too tight.

My old Arab mare has eye problems and wears a flymask 24/7 365 days a year ......mostly to protect her eyes from wind.

I have two different fly masks for seven, one with ears the other doesn't. He takes off the one with ears and the other one is a heavier mesh and his little face gets so sweaty that I now leave it off and spray instead. He also has a fan in his stall so that helps keep him nice and cool.

Here in Australia the flies get awful during the summer none at the moment thank goodness lol my ponies get fly spray n fly masks. They get both in case they manage to get the fly masks off you know the little brats always itchin n scratching we also have this great fly catcher that gets so many flies. It stinks a little but works real well n we are able to notice the changes
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back