What we look for in a weanling driving prospect

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getitia

Reaction score
Recently there was a discussion on evaluating weanlings to determine their potential as a future driving horse and what are the things that you look for during that evaluation. Since we have a little down time before Nationals we have been evaluating our weanlings. Thought these photos may help in describing what we look for. First I really want to see balance in movement - and an ease in movement. For comparision of reference this is a 29 inch aspc/amhr weanling filly.

lena06filly06.jpg

The ability to drive off of the hocks naturally is important as is headset and the ability of the horse to flex at the poll

lena06filly02.jpg

Knee height is important as is how the neck connects and the overall balance of appearance

lena06filly05.jpg

And then the overall length of stride

lena06filly.jpg

We also evaluate attitude, and the willingness and ability to learn.

When I was a little girl, I would dream of someday owning a jet black horse with a white tail, white mane, big blaze and 4 even tall white socks
default_yes.gif
: - This filly came pretty close :bgrin

Again, I'm sure everyone evaluates foals a bit differently - this is our formula - and thought these photos may be helpful to those who asked previous.

So all in all - at this point, I think this filly has a pretty good chance of being a successful driving horse someday. and the interesting aspect regarding her markings is that both her sire and dam are homozygous tobianos.

Absolutely wonderful pictures of a beautiful filly! Excellent lessons for us all, too. Thanks.

What great pics to show the different things to look for. Only thing wrong with the filly is she isnt at my place LOL. Thanks for the lesson

Thanks for the information and great pictures to explain what to look for. That is one beautiful filly.
default_yes.gif
:

I just love that filly! She is even prettier in person. Oh No. Kay, she needs stalled beside Baby!

Fran

Thank you for shaing some insight ! the pics demonstrate so well for us to learn from! And what a beauty you have! Lavonne

What an excellent thread! Fabulous pictures - would love to have that weanling in OUR BARN --

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Very educational.

JJay

VERY nice filly, very stylish and smart, too.

She is going to look GREAT in harness.

i want i want i want!!!!! WOW!

whew she is nice! good luck in the future! i guesse your keeping this one hehe
default_wub.png
:

Thank you for sharing the pics and information. Your filly is beautiful and the pics were so helpful along with your explanation.

Wow that filly is just stunning. Thanks for sharing, it really helps when you have pics on what to look for in a driving baby. That filly sure has it.

Now I defintelly want a Buckeye baby, maybe next year :lol:

:new_shocked: OH MAN :new_shocked:

Getitia,

If Marty & I stop over on our trip to Ohio and after we leave you notice this filly is missing..................
default_wub.png
:

Oh yeah...that is a gorgeous girl indeed. She emits style and grace....as a baby...can't wait to see her set up in harness in the future...ahhhhhhhh priceless...tee hee!

What I love best about your horses is that naturally sleek neck...that just never requires a neck sweat. Headsets in the showring are sometimes make or break even a pretty moving horse from being pinned a winner. Like on this filly...note the extra little hooky part of her neck...right behind the ears when she breaks at the poll...it is clean and allows her to fold...come up in the bridle which lets her get under herself in the rear...which lightens her up in front and improves her front movement like Getitia said. So many horses...you have to sweat, check them up and just push and push to get a headset that allows the rest of their body to engage. With a neck like this girl...its natural...poof...ya got it!

In fact...look at BWCF Classical Lightening who is featured on the front cover of the Journal this month...he won the 2005 AMHR Futurity Driving...he has this exact same clean neck...that 4" right behind the ears that allows him to break so clean at the poll and turn it on going down the rail. Sure makes turning out a beaufiul driving horse....a pleasure...that is the ultimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stunning filly!
default_wub.png
: Great pics and explanations. Thanks so much for putting it together.

WOW....oh, she's awesome!

Thank you for sharing. :D

Liz

As usual Getitia....your babies are breathtaking! This one is no exception....she is a beauty all the way around, in color, markings, conformation & action! :aktion033: I would love to get an "A" baby like that!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back