Driving Accident Prevention

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poniesrule

Reaction score
Any chance anyone saw the video from May 9 in Texas of the Budweiser Clydesdales? I have to give a HUGE kudos to the horses & handlers. How awesomely unflappable they were! It brought up a question for the experienced drivers.... do you train for the unexpected? What do you do? Are there things we can work on to help avoid having an accident turn into a major disaster?

An example, over Easter I was giving cart rides to my nieces & nephews. Nothing to strenuous on the boys, but half way through while driving my 29"-doesn't-want-to-stand-still-guy (refer to topic "Whoa!") the shaft support snapped on the left side & down the cart went, up the shafts went.......... I yelled a firm, low "Whoa!!!" & was extremely surprised & grateful to see RockStar stop, and stand trembling in front of me. Being a relatively newbie myself, looking back I am surprised at how well we both did in the situation. I got my nephew clear of the cart & then got Rock unhitched as quickly as possible. We were both shaking pretty badly. From this I have learned to 1) work on Whoa & Stand every day, emergency brakes are IMPORTANT! 2) be able to unhitch quickly... it's hard to work those little buckles when you are shaking, but it's something I will be practicing more of. Race car drivers have to be able to unharness & get out of a car in a certain amount of time & they train for it, I think I will try to do the same. 3) Always always always check your equipment. Care for it. I later found out that my daughter & nieces were jumping on the cart (shafts resting on ground, they bounced in basket) on the other side of the trailer before we hitched. I have a feeling this led to what happened. My daughter now knows how to properly store and move the cart.

Any tips, advice, experiences, or discussion? Thanks for your input!

All of you seem to have handled that desperate scenario very well. The children could have contributed to the disaster by screaming or jumping. I hope you praised them for keeping their cool and not startling the horse any worse.

Your training of Rockstar certainly was well done.

Glad you all got through that unscathed. The best lessons are ones we survive.

The best thing to do is vuild a repore with you animals.

I think when we train our minis we may skip parts of training that we wouldn't skip with a big horse. After watching that video I feel that even though I am pretty thorough, there are things I will be adding to my training, especially with the teams.

I had a wreck a few years ago with a three abreast on a chariot that would have been outright UGLY had it not been that the middle horse was trick trained (which included a lot of giving to pressure). It was before the start of a parade and I was just walking around the parking lot while waiting for the rest of the group. The one gelding on my team at that time (he is in a non-driving pet home now) decided he was finished and started to pitch a fit. He ended up getting a hind hoof in the backband of the center horse, lost his footing and went down. The cneter, trick trained horse, read the pressure and sat like a dog to relieve the pressure. There were a lot of thi.gs that could have happened that day, but because Jack knew what to do and was able to stay calm, everyone walked away.

So needless to say, all team members will get some trick lessons now, umungst other things.

I saw that video of the Clydesdales, it was amazing!!! When you really stop and think about it.......that whole team was so well trained for an emergency and remained calm and stood still until they each were unhitched!!!!!!! Also the driver and other members were so trained and calm unhitching and standing quietly with their horses! I watched it a few times as I was so, so impressed with the handling of the accident and what a miracle that the last horse got up!!!

Poniesrule, You bring some very good points up to be recognized in case of an accident!!!!!! I am very new to all this and looking to learn how to drive myself and then get my 2 year old Misty trained!! I am more aware of the dangers after seeing that video and your post further brings it home that safety must come first!!!!!!! Also you need to be prepared always in case of something going wrong!!!! Thankyou for this post!!!

BSharpRanch.... how SCARY! To have that happen anywhere is bad enough, but out in the open where there are a lot of people and other stimuli, downright nerve-racking!

What trick training are you working into your program? Just giving to pressure instead of leaning into it? I'm very interested to hear what you do.

Tricks in general to help build a "conversation" with the horses. They begin to learn to learn which means that they begin to think and respond diffrently. Most of them anyways. You just need to be aware of what you teach to what horses and know that some horses will try tricks when they become confused or not want to work. I had one horse many years ago that I would never taught any trick. She was so smart that she would use things to her benifit!

The video was amazing. Those horses managed to stay calm. The handlers were amazing.

There are a few things I have managed to train for but a real emergency, I don't know.

I thought I might have Hubby tug on the cart backwards just a bit so the horses could get used to the idea that the cart might act funny occasionally and not to let it upset them.

I like to let the rope touch the horses legs so they get used to the idea that something could be touching them and they don't have to be afraid.

We have snakes out here so I have been moving a rope along the ground hoping that if we saw a snake in the road, it wouldn't be upsetting to the horses.

Working on whoa and stand always seems like a good idea.

I have now seen the video from several sources, and agree, it was amazing!In my view, it was a testimonial to the proper temperament being bred into the Bud Clydes, thorough and proper training,very knowledgable and prepared handlers, having plenty of those right 'on hand', and, TRUST between handlers and horses!

Removing the harness quickly and easily(esp. in difficult conditions, such as this 'wreck', and/or when there is tension on the harness parts), can be made MUCH easier by 'quick release' shackles/hardware of various types; you can get ones for the breeching, the back strap, the tug loops, for instance. This type of hardware also can make 'usual' hitching and unhitching much faster and easier, and is used a lot by CDEers---but can be of help to most any driver in most circumstances; the Bud Clyde hitch I saw 'up close and personal' had the most ELEGANT Freedman harness...top quality stuff...and while back then I didn't 'clue in' on the hardware, I'd aout bet the crew was able to get the horses un. It is easier nowadays to find hardware of this sort suitable for use w/ mini and small pony harness. This hardware isn't cheap, but...what is your safety worth? Check out some of the better harness/harness part suppliers for more information.(I have 4 stainless marine grade snap shackles I bought for my pair harness, and hope to add quick release tug loop hardware, backstrap 'release',and ones for the breeching holdbacks, as I can afford them.)

Some things that might help your own horse to 'not fight', but wait for help, in a similar situation...training to accept hobbles, to accept a leg tied up, training from 'day one' to fully accept breeching...are some things that can be useful. Of course, thorough training to respond correctly to 'whoa' and 'stand' under any and all circumstances,is also essential.

Margo... Are you sure they use Freedman's harness? I thought they used Shanahan. Freedman's is more the hackney/Arab folks' preference.... And Shanahan is THE draft harness guy. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, draft horses are FAR less likely to go all akimbo in a wreck like that. Those particular horses are driven A LOT, far more than the average pleasure driving horse. That is their job, and they are trained to specific cues and know their jobs really well. The more miles you put on a horse, the more it will understand what is expected of it and the less likely it will panic if something isn't right. At the peak of the budweiser clydesdale breeding program before they dispersed it, they had 200 horses to choose from to put hitches of eight together. If one wasn't top notch, they could pretty easily cull it.

That hitch is top, top notch... I'll have to tell you about my unexpected private meet with the hitch sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I was thinking is - I carry a cell phone and I have a knife to cut the traces with if I have to. I always carry those two items and a hoof pick, just in case the horse picks up something in their hoof. Also, we use a halter under the bridle around this area. So, I always have a lead rope in my "emergency" kit. I use an old dog packs strapped to the back of the seat. That way I can have a bottle of water with me so I don't become dehydrated on a longer drive.

Disneyhorse....it was one of the handlers who told me it was Freedman harness, because I asked who made it. Was several years ago, right down in Albuquerque. I've never heard of the other maker you mention, but then, I wouldn't have, because I'm not in any way 'involved' w/ Draft horses, except to admire some of the best ones!!

The only wreck my driving gelding ever had was in an unmanned cart. I got out and did not have a secure hold on the reins. He is sometimes an ornery, hard-headed little cuss and that was one of his cuss days. He felt I did not have control, and off he went. When he finally crashed, he laid very quietly in the shafts. I was able to unbuckle him, though I did have a knife if I'd needed it. Got him untangled and the harness, though damaged, was still serviceable. He stood quietly while I rehitched and I drove him quietly home. I learned a valuable lesson in keeping a firm hold on reins in the event I needed to dismount. Just the firm pressure grasping the reins is enough to let the horse know one has control. No need to put pressure on the bit. This was nearly 10 years ago.

I couple of horses I've worked with in training have gotten legs over shafts. Both times, the horses stood very still and cooperated as I got them back in position. They were both green and silly, so I sort of expected a catastrophe, but for some reason they both were quiet in that situation.

Lessons we survive are good.

I feel another important thing is having hand picked horses that have GREAT minds, even more so than training. Case in point, the first trip off the property with the four-up showed the true personality of each member on the team. We were headed into a wash when the hottest horse on the team (a leader) decided he wasn't going down. He jumped sideways one way then came back the other and shoved his teammate over a bush. Hubby got out to rescue them when I noticed that my one wheel horse had a foreleg over the neck yoke. It could have gotten really ugly, but she stood there patiently and waited for help. This mare was a broodmare all he life till she came here, and had only been driving about a year. I like quiet. horses for my team for very obvious reasons.

Another thing I was thinking is - I carry a cell phone and I have a knife to cut the traces with if I have to. I always carry those two items and a hoof pick, just in case the horse picks up something in their hoof. Also, we use a halter under the bridle around this area. So, I always have a lead rope in my "emergency" kit. I use an old dog packs strapped to the back of the seat. That way I can have a bottle of water with me so I don't become dehydrated on a longer drive.
Just a caveat - a cell phone is only as good as your service and the service area you are driving in. I live in a very populated, but agricultural of NC - sandwiched between major cities and military installations. There are several areas that we can ride or drive our horses and ponies - just a few miles off the interstate. Even with 4G coverage and "smart phones" - it's amazing how little service there is in parts of this area!! A CB radio would be better in most instances or even a walkie/talkie set up. A cell phone can make you too dependent on "someone else" - practice safety, train your horse and know what to do if there is a problem. Maybe add some very simple things to your pack - based on where you drive. Even an anti-venom kit if there are poisonous snakes in the area...

As to the knife - make sure it's maintained and heavy/sharp enuf to cut thru the type of harness you drive with. I found quite a shock when I went to cut one - and could not! The pony was jumping around, the harness was good quality layered leather, properly stitched and my arms/hands just weren't strong enough at that time to safely cut the harness.

Carrying water is GOOD! I do, too. I've been known to use it to wash mud off my ponies' legs to make sure they weren't injured under the mud - after the pony and I got over the shakes from having been stuck w/ her down and sideways in a "bog" - just off the trail and a puddle she'd refused to go thru (with a good solid bottom)... And several of my ponies have drunk it from my hand or directly from my bottle when hot. I often put partially full water bottles into the freezer and top off before attaching to my wagon or cart.

Many people have stated that I "over train" or "de-sensitize" my ponies too much and that it's not necessary. But I've now had a couple of issues in which i was darned glad I'd done all the work with my guys - pulling different objects at home, having different textures and weights of objects attached the harness - both carrying and dragging. You know, I've dropped hobble training from my personal training. But this is not the first time it's come up recently as a safe training technique. It would just be additional to what I do w/ rope work on our ponies' legs and add that much more safety to our drives.

Hmmmm.... Thanks!! For the extra ideas AND sharing the Budweiser Hitch video.

Paintponylvr make some good points.I wear a LOUD whistle on a shoestring around my neck; it would draw attention in a pinch, if there is ANYONE within earshot. I always try to have a pocket knife in my pocket, but wouldn't count on it to cut a harness; there ARE 'specialized' cutting tools w/ protected, very sharp blades(seat belt cutters? I don't recall off hand, but bet you could google 'emergency cutting implements' or similar and find a suitable tool to carry.( don't subscribe to the notion that leather 'will break' while beta or nylon won't; I don't think EITHER is likely to 'break', and should never be 'counted on' to in a wreck. Don't think it is even possible to 'overtrain'/over-desensitize a horse...safety is 'job one', IMO, and we should do EVERYTHING reasonably possible toward that end!

It generally isn't a good idea to dismount the cart and 'hold' a driving horse by the reins, no matter how 'firmly' you grip them. I and a friend who participates here, were heading out for a drive on a bladed dirt track out in a large acreage of state land about a mile from my house. I was in front; heard a commotion, turned to see her horse bucking/running, just as she was dumped from her EE cart. He galloped away back toward the way we'd come; I, shook up, dismounted my cart to try to check on her. She got up, shook up but not hurt, walked to me. We were both standing by my mare's head, I holding her firmly, but we were both 'shaken up',as a person is apt to be after such a scare; didn't even hear her horse galloping right up behind us and RIGHT OVER ME, knocking me down and 'loose from' my mare, who then galloped off, cart in tow.Thanks to a couple of different Good Samaritans driving down the nearby highway, who saw both horses and were able to intercept and get ahold of each before either got to the highway, the incident ended without injury to any of us, horses or persons...but I sure was reminded the hard way to not exit the cart to 'hold' the horse at its head!

Wow, Margo - that was quite the driving incident you had.

Good point about having a knife that will actually cut through a harness.

As an experienced desert rat, I am never counting on my cell phone for anything. Good you pointed that out. Fortunately, I drive in my neighborhood where there is good cell reception throughout the area.

My little horse and I are usually not too far from home although walking two or three miles would be a real chore:) I try to remember to wear lace up comfortable walking shoes when out driving by myself. I got a pair of Ariats that are pretty good for working with the horses but are more comfortable for walking than cowboy boots.

So far, I am unable to find anyone close by that could drive with me. I am making new friends but most of them have larger ponies and horses so I am still going out by myself most of the time. I work really hard at keeping us safe on the road and hope for the best but I will be on my own should something happen and will have to handle any situation as best I can.

Thanks for all the great info, Margo and PaintPony.

I am so glad I started this topic!! I really appreciate the discussion and all of the ideas of things I don't even think about!

Being new to driving, I often times find myself thinking "oh, I'm just driving in the yard, what could go wrong" and then............... Case in point, my 3 yr. old, Kenai has come up with this cute little head toss thing, he does it all the time. Whether loose in the paddock or working in harness. It seriously reminds me of a giraffe, he rocks his nose up, tilts to the left, and swings his neck all the way back to the left then swoops around to the front. He's feeling good. So I was driving last weekend, in the arena, no big deal. First hitch since the dog attack. He has been working so well on the ground, I wanted to get one or two laps in. So I get in the cart, and he wants to rocket off. We work on whoa, when he stands still, we move out. Everything is going perfectly... ask for a whoa after one lap, he stops and stands patiently (no pawing even!) and I am beaming. I am so happy that things are working well, I'm proud of him, and proud of me. And then he does his stupid giraffe move and his over check somehow gets stuck under the shafts (that's how far back his head swings). What the heck am I going to do? I said a quick prayer hoping it would break or that he would just relax with his nose in the air, and I make the decision to go try to work it off the shaft. Guess who didn't have a knife... it was in my purse. Guess what is now on my cart... Anyway, he was pulling against it, but stood still and I was able to get it undone and make another lap. I am working on a box/pouch that I can keep on the cart with items in it. I haven't figured anything out yet that I really like. Thoughts? Pictures of your emergency kits? Ooohhhh, since we're talking driving and safety, anyone have any great recommendations for helmets for kids? My girls have been sporting their bike helmets, but I really want to get something a little more rated for equestrian sports.

I've actually used on an accident... A seat belt cutter. Like butter, and super glad I had it in the barn.

I've actually used on an accident... A seat belt cutter. Like butter, and super glad I had it in the barn.
I have a good sharp pocketknife in my kit, but I've been thinking of getting a seat belt cutter. As suggested, I need to try my knife out on something to see how effective it is.

I have a toolbox bolted to the floor of my cart.

Latest posts

Back