What unanswered questions do you have regarding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tango

Reaction score
Thought this would be a good time to start a topic such as this with the June board meeting coming up.

If there are any rules or bylaws that have been passed and implemented in recent years that you have had questions or concerns about, this is the thread to ask those questions.

If there was something you felt was not "quite right" or if you think something did not go through the proper process as provided in the rule book, bring it up here and it can be looked at and discussed.

If you had questions or concerns and asked your director for answers, were you satisfied?

The AMHA minutes taken at all the meetings held throughout the year can provide a lot of information, and many times also brings up a lot of questions so I would encourage anyone that pays a yearly membership fee to read the minutes of the meetings.

Please keep this discussion civil.

Nikki

default_yes.gif
Yes, I sure do!! I am STILL waiting for answers to the questions posed in following letter that I sent to EVERY AMHA North American Director, AMHA President Mike Want, and AMHA Vice Prsident Tom O'Connell back in MARCH!!!

The following concerns and questions are presented involving the implementation of the newly ratified amendment to Article XI, Section 4, which will change the way an AMHA horse is measured from the last hairs of the mane to the base of the withers if implemented on January 1, 2009.

1. Did the staff review this amendment as required in the flow chart for rule change, for the Economic Impact, Computer Programming Requirements, Office Administration Requirements, and Legal/Liability Implications? Did the Board of Directors review the office staff's impact report and approve it?

2. Was proper notification given to the entire membership of this proposed amendment with clear explanation that it would change the procedure of a thirty year old rule in the way an AMHA Miniature Horse would be measured, and would change the Standard of Perfection? How was this official notification published to each member of the Association?

3. What formal training was given or will be given to the people that will be approved to measure horses at all shows?

4. What type of training or instruction will be given to the AMHA members in order for them to correctly measure their horses at the base of the withers for registration certificates?

5. It seems to be of greatest concern to most members as where to find the actual "spot" exactly where the base of the withers is located. This spot is not visible and can only be felt. There is a great variation in the determining the location of this spot, and will cause many problems and a lot of controversy between exhibitors, trainers, and the people measuring the horses. How do you intend to handle this problem?

6. Was any type of study or research done in measuring a number of horses at the base of the withers as opposed to the last hairs of the mane to determine differences in the height of the horses before the amendment was submitted for a vote? What were the findings? Did the horses measure taller or shorter?

7. Many members trying very hard to find the actual "spot" have already found that the majority of their horses measured at the base of the withers were shorter by a half an inch, and sometimes more, than measurements at the last hairs of the mane. The registration certificates on all permanently registered horses whose measurements differ from their current registration certificate will have to be corrected, as they would be making a false statement about the horse if the papers are not corrected. Will AMHA correct and issue new registration certificates to the owners of these horses at AMHA's expense?

8. What will AMHA do about horses that measured oversized at OVER 34 inches tall at the last hairs of the mane and had their papers revoked, but now will measure 34 inches tall or less at the base of the withers? Will these horses be allowed to be reinstated? Will they have to pay a reinstatement fee?

9. Knowing that a bylaw amendment has been presented to be voted on at the 2009 Annual Meeting to change the measuring point for an AMHA Miniature Horse to the top of the withers, what will AMHA do if this amendment is passed? Will any reinstatement fees paid be refunded to the owners of the horses who then have their registration revoked again?

10. Will horses that are hardshipped measuring 34 inches or less after the base of the withers bylaw is implemented be remeasured at the top of the withers should that amendment pass next year? Will their hardshipped fees be refunded, and their registration certificates be revoked, if they measure over 34 inches tall?

11. What will the impact be to the Association in their efforts to develop an International market for AMHA horses now if they are measured at the base of the withers? This was discussed at the meeting by Wayne Hipsley, AMHA facilitator, who stated that when he and the President recently spent three weeks traveling in International countries, the most important request they were given was to measure AMHA horses at the top of the withers. Will AMHA continue to spend money trying to develop an International market now?

12. What impact will the new amendment have on the integrity of the AMHA and the credibility of the registry when, because there is strong member support for using the worldwide, top-of-the-withers standard, it is very possible that the point of measurement may(again?) be changed from one point to another within the next few years? What then? We believe that most AMHA members do not feel that a foundation cornerstone of their organization should be changed, unless for the most compelling of reasons. This change appears to be looking to find a way to 'just be different', or to in fact allow taller horses into the Association while maintaining a pretense that the Standard has in no way been altered.

13. What impact will its implementation have on the acceptance of AMHA within the wider horse world/market, at a time when AMHA is stating that it is moving to become a 'breed' registry, not simply a height registry?

14. Most importantly, will AMHA enforce the rules and bylaws of the Association and revoke papers on horses that do not meet the requirements of an AMHA horse as 34 inches tall or less?

We have many more concerns and questions we would like to have addressed, therefore we submit the names of AMHA members that would like to volunteer to serve on any committees the Board should form to study the new bylaw amendment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diane C. Wolcott, Castle Rock Miniature Horses

607 East Oak Street,

Arcadia, FL 34266

[email protected] AMHA Member #91005

Margaret Cox-Townsend

13 Hill Ranch Rd. E.

Edgewood, NM 87015

[email protected] AMHA Member#03543

Mona Stone, Last Chance Miniatures

RR#1 Site 3, Box 13

Sleeman, ON. CANADA

P0W 1M0

[email protected] AMHA Member #33341

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing I have a HUGE concern with, is that whenever things are "questioned" and brought up publicly here on LB, we are told to "contact your directors with your concerns". I appreciate that advice, but sadly, in MOST cases it does no good. As mentioned in my post above, I sent that letter to every director, the President and Vice President and received very few responses back, and those I received were acknowledging receipt of my letter, and did not address the questions posed within it. I have since written 2 other letters. One was sent to the President, VP and at least 5 Directors,(I can check numbers for sure, but I know it was definitely NOT less than this) and got one reply back. Then I sent another letter to the President, VP and 3 Directors, and this time, I received responses from 2. So I am experiencing first hand, why members are afraid to even contact their directors, if they are not even taken seriously.
default_no.gif

Yes, there are a few directors that will discuss things with members, and for that, I am grateful. I have also been treated very RUDELY on a personal level in their remarks to me by one Director in particular, because of what I feel, is that I am asking too many questions, treading where I don't belong maybe?? It feels to me like we as members are expected to just keep quiet and let "them" run the show, no questions asked. If they cannot be approachable, and keep things on a professional level, then perhaps they need to "step down" and let someone else fill the seat. Yes, being in that position of power CAN be frustrating, but you KNOW that going into it. The negative comments I received from this Director had NOTHING to do with what I personally said or dis, but because they were posted on this forum, I received the rudeness for it, because I approached them. I don't think that is right, so yes, this too I would like to see addressed!

I have one concern other than the ones mentioned above... I am wondering if it is even legal to change

the standard that the AMHA was founded on.. Maybe this is something the AMHA lawyer should look into..

Seems to me this should be binding at least until all AMHA members agree to change this..

Latest posts

Back