What type of blanket to use....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhminis

Reaction score
What type of blanket do I need to purchase for this time of year (upper 40's - lower 60's at night) once I full body clip my mini? What is the best type of material, etc. in your opinions.

Also, if I can't find one specifically for a mini - will a regular size foal blanket work?

Hi,

about the blankets..we are also cold here , and I did a full body clip the 1st of May..I regret it now . However I have plenty of blankets in different weights. For 1 horse that is pretty muscular I use a water proof turnout blanket with a bit of batting for warmth, its not real thick, but it keeps his body heat under the blanket. I got it at StarLake Tack..I love all the blankets from them because they have a double velcro at the belly, and if it should get caught on something , they can break free. I have another one from there that is NOT water proof , and is a quilted stall blanket, its soft and squishy, and my little refined mare likes this a lot. She is smaller , and more refined , and seems to get cold quickly, so I use the thicker blanket on her for the stall at night , and then the same water proof blanket over the top when she goes out. She will not leave the stall when she is cold, or its raining. This combo has worked well for us. I get these in a 42, and 44 ... they are a bit big (44) but its more practicle for the winter time when they have all the hair, and are a size bigger, when they are clipped I just use a liner under them. I leave my stall door open for fresh air , and so they can go out when they need to.

hope this helps , oh the horses are 33-34 inches med built, and a 42 is a perfect fit .

With a body clipped horse in temperatures around 55-60, I'd have him in a midweight. At 50-55, I'd put him in a heavy with a neck cover or a midweight with a polarfleece liner and a neck cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every horse is different some get chilled easily others not so much. I just go with what it takes to keep me comfortable in the weather. If I am more then comfortable in a t-shirt the horse should be ok turned out with nothing or a light sheet.

But again you might have to really try and see we have one horse who shivers all the time and even in the spring has to be bundled up in 2 or 3 blankets and a hood while his neighbors can be in a single blanket and no hood

Latest posts

Back