What to expect for 'in hand trail'??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I just got my fairbook for our local Sandusky County Fair and they added allot of classes this year that you can show a mini in. I got them to add yearling classes for Mini's and Ponies under 40'' after bringing it up at every Jr. Fairboard meeting. They added allot of stuff though that Mini's can compete in along with big horses. THEY ALSO ADDED A JUMPING IN HAND CLASS FOR MINI'S UNDER 42''!!!!!

Coco is going to be doing obsticle driving with the big horses agian this year but were also going to try Single Pleasure driving under 40'' to. So im excited about that!

Now, for my question. I'm putting Royal in the 'In Hand Trail' class. I know he will be competing with the big guys for this (i think) so i dont want to bring little 31'' tall Coco in the ring for that. He's a bit to laid back and can get stubborn, i know Royal will get the job done with no Whim.

But what should i expect to see in a In Hand Trail class so we can start training? I know its always different at every show, but what is normally in there as for obsticles ext? I'm really excited about training for this class because its different then what im use to.

Joey (who is 41'') is going to do JUMPING IN HAND! I would be very suprised if he refuses to jump or doesnt place. I just need to work on my jumping in hand skills, i have a habit of pulling on him while he's jumping.

I look forward to the Co. Fair each yr but this yr is going to be the best one yet.

This is what i've currently got set for shows during fair week.

Coco - Jr. Gelding under 40'' Halter .....Obsticle Driving .....Single Pleasure Driving

Royal - Sr. Gelding Under 40'' Halter .....In Hand Trail

Harley - Yearling Stallions under 40'' Halter

Joey - Sr. Geldings 40''-50'' Halter .....Jumping in Hand

Can you tell i'm excited?
default_smile.png

I've got everything covered ....i get the Obsticle Driving and Coco has shown it before. Joey would jump over the moon if asked to. As for the single pleasure driving, thats a new one for Coco. They dont do anything to fancy at the fair for pleasure driving (I watched last yr and it was the most simple thing i've ever seen. They walk one direction ..then trot ..reverse ..walk ..trot, simple things. They dont even do any fancy trotting really at the fair) and im sure Coco will do fine in that class.

But what have you seen in a in hand trail class?

What is it judged on?

Leeana H.

Last edited by a moderator:
the classes we have gone in almost always have a wooden bridge to cross

maybe backing or side passing along wood posts on the ground

maybe a marked area for a turn

ground poles to trot through

They love ground ties and swimming pools with water around here in our AMHR shows. I have seen front and back pivots, put the hula hoop over head to back feet, we have had croaking forgs around the pool. What ever you can think of PRACTICE!!! they all have new ideas of somesort i think when it comes to an obstacle course. Hope this helps.

Shelley<><

I might be showing my horse in in hand trail at fair,and I know some obstacles are ... ground tie, walk/trot over poles and a small jump,side passing,rubbing a raincoat on your horse,and different patterns for backing,such as a U shape,or zig-zag.Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.Good luck!
default_smile.png

In hand trail is my favorite and do quite well in it. You can expect to see just about anything in it so the important thing is to have your basics down well and then whatever they throw at you, you can usually get through the course fairly well.

Sidepass both directions, then sidepass over poles. The L backthrough is a standard so practice forehand and haunch turns. 360 on boards or the biggy I have seen lately is hoola hoops for haunch and forehand turns. walk down 12 inch wide boards. walk under streamers.

Ground tie and walk around the horse or ground tie and walk away from horse around a cone. Water boxes are getting popular. The killer I have seen lately is a narrow V with the poles raised on a block where they meet and side pass both poles going around the raised end. Backing onto a bridge. Pick up a bag of cans, maybe do an obstacle then set down cans. A toughy we had recently had you pick up a bag of hay, back the L, sidepass a pole then set down the bag. Try and keep a piggy horses attention with hay under his nose.

Hope this helps.

Here's the pattern from my last show....

put on and take of a slicker(on you) and then hang it over your horses back and then take it off,walk over a bridge,back through a U shaped figure,trot over poles,canter over a jump,and ground tie.

I didn't read all of the posts, so i may repeat things.

At simpler non-rated shows:

Walk over board/tarp

place "scary" item on horse for 10 seconds

back through two poles

back through an "L"

Walk through a gate and then close it.

Trot over uneven poles

stand tied to a fence with you away.

Jump a jump

At an AMHA show:

Place front two hooves in a hula hoop and turn on the forehand around the hula hoop.

Jump a jump (one that the jumping classes use)

Open and close an umbrella

trot over a tarp

back through poles

At the AMHR show I went to I discovered the hardest course I have seen:

Walk to a pole, sidepass one way, pivot to the other direction, sidepass the other way

Front hooves in hula hoop, turn on the forehand

trot through two poles, back up halfway, pivot and back through a hole in between 2 poles, pivot, back the rest of the way on the other side. on the ground with a cone. Groundtie, walk a circle around the horse and collect them again.

Walk over a raised bridge (or more like a block)

Trot over poles.

You need to be prepared for everything. If there is something new you don't know practice and train for it in the 2 hours+ that you have the pattern!

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back