what to do with our pony farm?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend runs a boarding barn. He provides turnout, a hot walker, warm room, stalls and indoor arena. He ONLY charges $75 per month. He doesn't brake even.
Good heavens! I'll bet he doesn't break even - around here, $75 a month wouldn't even cover the hay a big horse would eat, let alone feed, shavings, electricity, insurance, etc. I work at a barn where they do lessons and boarding, and we're constantly "in the red" at $400/month!

I keep trying to think up ways to get my girls to pay their way (it helps to justify the costs of keeping them.) At the end of the day, though, they are (and probably always will be) essentially just pets, and I think they are priceless!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I reckon it costs me more to keep my own horses, on my own land, than that!!!

Maybe I should emigrate?
default_laugh.png

My friend runs a boarding barn. He provides turnout, a hot walker, warm room, stalls and indoor arena. He ONLY charges $75 per month. He doesn't brake even.
Around herre they have been advertising winter pasture for $175 per month. I would love to find a barn with that kind of bargin. I would be saving money.

I keep trying to think up ways to get my girls to pay their way (it helps to justify the costs of keeping them.) At the end of the day, though, they are (and probably always will be) essentially just pets, and I think they are priceless!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Just consider them "cheap" therapy; you know darn well a Psychiatrist would charge alot more per hour than what it costs to keep your horses.
default_wink.png

Ditto all the above suggestions.
default_smile.png
Your mares look very nice, through the hair, and look like they are built with enough power to pull a cart.

My take on boarding horses - I've done it, on a small scale for years - first with big horses and now with minis. I only take a couple of boarders at a time and have been very fortunate to have mostly great boarders who are responsible and conscientious. I don't carry commercial liability and make that clear up front, but I would have to do so if I advertised & took in anyone who called. (and I wouldn't consider boarding big horses now without it). I don't know that I could get the kind of board dollars then that I would have to have. My neighbor boards big horses for $275 or so, just for pasture board with grain, pretty much the going rate around here.

Jan

My friend John does only Charge &75 for full care. Fed 2x's daily, grass hay provided, he will give suppliments should you ask. Last year he only charged $60, and we said he was crazy. He has alot of 4-H kids. He does it for them.

He subsidises by selling grain and shavings. He ends up with his personal use for the facility free.

My gelding is there. I supply his grain. Because I like what we feed. I board whoever is being cart trained at his place in the winter.

He will only take minis. If you are his friend and he knows you, you can get him to board a riding horse. But the price goes up quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back