what the heck is a "coggins"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
I have two geldings. I have the vet come out twice a year and give them all their shots and give them a good once over. I worm them every two months. But in looking over my records, there has never been a "coggins" done. Is it a shot or a test of some kind? Am I neglecting something here? The next time the vet comes out, should I ask about it?

What the heck is it?

Shelley

Goodmorning Shelley,

A coggins is a test they do with the horses blood. They pull blood (which is why sometimes it is refered to as pulling coggins on a horse) and send it to a lab to be tested. The test basically tests for Equine Infectious Anemia. I think our vet charges like $35/horse for coggins test plus the vet fee.

Its good to have on horses if your showing them, well almost always needed. Especially if you are showing out of state. If you are taking a horse out of state, you NEED the coggins along with possibly something else (for instance, we needed a coggins, 30 days health certificate and a entry permit number to get into illinous, so its always good to check state laws and regulations).

So if my boys are just living here and not ever going to be shown, should I include this in their yearly checkups or is it unnecessary? They don't come into contact with any other horses. Is the infection they are testing for contagious from other horses? How would they get it in the first place?

So if my boys are just living here and not ever going to be shown, should I include this in their yearly checkups or is it unnecessary?

I like to keep an up to date coggins on mine just in case there is some emergency and I need to haul them somewhere.

So if my boys are just living here and not ever going to be shown, should I include this in their yearly checkups or is it unnecessary? They don't come into contact with any other horses. Is the infection they are testing for contagious from other horses? How would they get it in the first place?

If no horses are going in or out, I don't really see a reason too.. Yes, it is contagious as it is spread by horseflies who bite a horse that is infected, than move on to another horse, etc. But, the disease only lives on the fly for a short time, so it can only be spread when horses are in close contact with one another.

Here is a very good link with an article on EIA - worth reading

http://www.avma.ab.ca/animal_health/horsehealth2.htm

I have quoted this following information from the AVMA site:

Equine Infectious Anemia

Understanding The Threat

Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA), also known as Swamp Fever, is an infectious disease of horses, donkeys and mules caused by a virus. Horses infected with the EIA virus carry it for life. Most infected horses show no symptoms but they remain infectious, endangering the health of other horses. The best protection against EIA is to understand the disease and the control measures that can help keep your horse(s) from contracting it.

What is EIA?

EIA is a viral disease that affects the horse’s immune system. The virus reproduces in the horse’s blood cells and circulates throughout the body. The horse’s immune system produces antibodies which attack and destroy its own blood cell components. The result is anemia and organ-damaging inflammation. The clinical symptoms of EIA are variable and include fever, anorexia, depression, swelling of the underside of the belly and legs, muscle weakness and wasting, jaundice of mucous membranes and infertility. EIA can leave a horse vulnerable to other potentially fatal diseases.

EIA has three phases:

ACUTE - during this phase the virus is active, multiplying and harming the immune system. The acutely ill horse has heavy concentrations of the virus in its bloodstream.

CHRONIC - the animal has high concentrations of the virus in its blood but may alternate between remission and disease states.

INAPPARENT CARRIER - the horse carries the virus but shows no apparent signs of illness. Stress or disease may trigger an acute episode.

At this time, there is NO TREATMENT OR CURE for a horse that has contracted EIA. There is also NO VACCINE available to protect a horse from the EIA virus.

Transmission

EIA is a blood-borne disease transmitted mainly through the natural feeding of large biting insects, principally horseflies and deerflies. Transmission can also occur through the re-use of contaminated needles and surgical and dental instruments. Because these processes can be identified, decisions can be made regarding disease management and control.

RISK FACTORS

These factors can put horses at greater risk for contracting EIA.

close proximity to regions where EIA outbreaks have occurred

environments with a steady influx of new horses, especially if negative Coggins certificates are not required

exposure to horses at shows, sales or other events where health care regulations are not enforced and a negative Coggins certificate is not required

pastures in damp, swampy areas where insects are abundant

Detection - the Coggins Test

EIA is diagnosed by testing a horse’s blood sample. The test was developed by Dr. Leroy Coggins in 1970 and is known as the Coggins test or the agar gel immunodiffusion (AGID) test. This test consistently and reliably detects the presence of EIA-specific antibodies in the blood. A positive test indicates a horse is infected and carries the EIA virus. Positive tests are redone several times to guarantee their accuracy.

Government Regulations

EIA is a reportable disease under the Health of Animals Act. This places certain legal responsibilities on veterinarians and owners/persons with custody or control of infected animals. When a Coggins test indicates that an animal is infected, a federal veterinarian will inform the owner of the test results and the legal requirements under the Health of Animals Act. A control license will be issued on the animal. It is not permitted to move the animal anywhere without this license. Any movement of infected animals other than to slaughter is not recommended.

An owner who moves an EIA infected animal without a license is in contravention of the Health of Animals Act.

Affected animals are prohibited by law from entering community pastures, parklands, competitions, racetracks, shows, stables, or any place where horses, mules or donkeys are assembled. Although it is recommended that an EIA positive horse be humanely destroyed to stop further spread of the disease, the owner of an infected horse may choose to house it in permanent quarantine. However, an owner who knowingly keeps an EIA infected horse and places other horses at risk may be held legally liable. A copy of the guidelines for permanent quarantine is available through a federal district veterinarian.

Conclusion

Equine Infectious Anemia can bedamaging and deadly. At this time there is no treatment or cure for a horse that has contracted EIA. There is also no vaccine that will protect a horse from the EIA virus. However, implementing strict control measures and proper management techniques can reduce the chances of your horse(s) becoming infected with EIA.

It is important to remember the threat that an EIA infected horse poses to the whole community. The risk may be unknown, but the consequences can be great, extending even to legal liability. Strict control measures should be followed in order to prevent the spread of this virus. All stables, farms, horse shows, racetracks, rodeos, clinics and equine event operators are strongly encouraged to ask for and verify a current Coggins certificate for all horses entering their premises. This, along with good management practices, will help in the fight against this disease.

CONTROL MEASURES

Good management principles and control measures can reduce the potential of EIA infection in your horses. The following guidelines will help:

test all horses for EIA annually. Horses at greater risk should be tested every 4-6 months.

farm owners and operators should require and verify a current negative Coggins certificate before introducing any new horses to the farm or ranch.

quarantine new horses for 45 days and observe them for any signs of illness before introducing them to the herd. Retest them if EIA exposure is suspected.

horse show and event managers should require and verify negative Coggins certificates for all horses entering the premises.

use only one disposable needle or syringe per horse when administering vaccines or medications.

sterilize dental tools before using them on another horse.

keep all stable areas clean, dry and waste-free. Practice good pasture management techniques such as removing manure and providing adequate drainage to discourage breeding sites for pests.

I haul all over the place and just got back from MO. and never had a coggins~!

I buy sell haul all without one and have been doing so for years and years.

I was in AZ. for 10 years working at a boarding stable never had one nor did we demand horses coming in to have one and there were over 100 head of horses at that place from all over the country.

My vet friend who had his own business in Texas Just Horses Now Nothing else probably did more coggins testing then your average vet. Said in those 15 years not One was Positive Not one~ He also told me the Coggins test was Never intended to be used as it is today~!

We NEED a Vaccine Not This dumb test, which At Best is just a "Snapshot In Time" The very next day the horse can get infected and will not be found out about for another Year.

Some States are 6 Months, Some are One Year, Some are for 3 years and in AZ. as long as you don't go out of State you Do NOT Need one at all~!

So if States can't get this right who is?

Then there is THIS article~!

The chances your horse is going to die from Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) are slim and none.

The chances your horse is going to die from a Coggins test are very good.

Why? Money!

http://www.donblazer.com/ahorseofcourse/1000ahorse.html

In some states, if you get stopped and can't produce coggins, heath cert and a state import number (even just driving through) it can be up to $1000 per horse on trailer fine. Some states require yearly coggins for all horses residing in the state. Bottom line, if you don't have the proper paper work (and it does differ state to state what is required), you are breaking the law.

Jean

Not only is it a fine but.. if the person stopping you should so choose they can quarrintine your horse with no paperwork as well as others on board until they feel all required tests were done by THE STATE VET OF THERE CHOICE while you foot the bill as well as the fines and the bill will be much higher then what your vet would have charged

If Coggins costs about 25-35 depending on the area how much does your vet charge for a "vet check" to get a health certificate?

We NEED a Vaccine Not This dumb test, which At Best is just a "Snapshot In Time" The very next day the horse can get infected and will not be found out about for another Year.
WELL SAID!! Here in Michigan a couple of years ago the State decided that EVERY horse had to have a coggins if it left it's home farm, even to go for a trail ride around the block. Thank heavens that was rescinded. But you have to have it to travel to other states and our shows. I'd like to get it rescinded for in-state shows, at the very least.

Our vet charges $90 for a farm call.

The law in Louisiana is that they have to have the test as well as a micro-chip to identify the animal no matter if it leaves the property or not. A vet there told me it was nothing more than a tax they could impose to help fund the Dept of Wildlife. He said that they discussed different test to require but choose that one and implimented the chip system. He said that there are very few cases each year nationwide.

It is also requirement in Texas. Not sure what the extent of the law is here. I just normally have it on my horses if they travel anywhere. As occasionally they check at different functions we go to.

Here in Az it's not required, so only some of my horses have had it: the 2 minis that have gone out of state, and then the 3 ponies/horse that I bought from out of state. When I move, they're all gonna need to get it... and the health cert... not looking forward to that vet bill!
default_sad.png

Jessi

It's required in PA, especially if you transport over state lines. For most local shows, you have to show proof of negative Coggins within the last year.

My vet charges $15 for a farm visit and $20 for each test.

Last edited by a moderator:
A current Coggins is required here in TX when you sell a horse. I have seen on the saleboard where sellers say that the coggins and health papers are to be paid for by the buyer, but my understanding is that here in TX at least it's the seller's responsibility to provide these and therefore not legal to require the buyer to pay for the test/certificate.

You can't get into or out of FL without one. There are Agriculture stations and if you pass one of those, they'll hunt you down, I've seen them do it. I know they will fine you but I also heard they can impound your truck, trailer etc til everything comes back neg. During hurricanes they'll lax up a bit, but in FL you are supposed to have one if your horse ever steps foot off your property, even going to the vet. Fl is the only state I know of with the Ag stations.

Karen

To add a bit to Sweetheart, a 1 year Coggins is required in Texas for any horse taken off of your property for any reason. In 15 years I have been stopped only once by the state at a checkpoint. They matched my Coggins with every horse in the trailer. Then filled out a form with my drivers license number that I had to sign. I was clean but had I not had the Coggins they would have quarantined my horses until a vet could be called and a Coggins done.

If the horse never leaves your property then no problem (vet trips, fun play days ??). However, I have never been to a competetive event (AMHA, AMHR, ADS) that would allow you to compete without a valid Coggins. Some facilities will not allow you onto the grounds or unload without one.

default_smile.png

The important thing about the coggins test is not to protect your horses (the ones being tested) but to protect any other horses they might come into contact with while they are off your place. If they are positive for EIA, they would infect others. The consequences of a positive coggins is lifetime quarantine or euthanasia -- a very serious disease.

Rita

Latest posts

Back