What should I test for

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpotze

Reaction score
I have a weanling colt that I am just not sure what color to register him as...so will send hair samples in... At birth he appeared black or very dark grulla...he is a pinto with blue eyes...but now that he is older he looks more very dark grulla in color....

His sire is a blue roan appaloosa and his dam is a black and white pinto....

What would you test for???

Thanks

In order to get a Dun you need to have a Dun parent, so is the Appy sire Dun as well?

(Dam is not as she is Black and White)

My gut feeling is that your foal is Black, but pictures would help...uncliped!

Adding these for BeZe

I have checked the pedigrees and can find no source of Cream on either side, even though the dam looks a Smoky Black!

midnightmistcolt053110.jpg

midnightmistcolt-sep2010-1.jpg

midnightmistcolt-sep2010-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Babys black, or a dark dark bay, we had one last year that looked just like that, seen him the other day with his new owners a year later, and he is BLACK as can be.

You would definitely want to test for black/red based factor to determine the base color. Obviously both carry the tobiano pinto pattern, but since the foal has face white plus blue eyes, you may want to test for LWO.

Lovely, lovely mare, by the way, and nice colt!

I have a smokey black stallion that was born black then grew in creamy colored baby fuzz and then shed off black again, just like this colt pictured. I know it was said there's zero cream in his pedigree, but could it have maybe been hidden in the black? We all know how incorrect much of the colors listed in pedigrees are anyway. I would test for cream. He can't have agouti if dam is black and sire is blue roan (though I'm guessing he's not blue roan, but black varnish). You could test for black/red too, but only if you're curious to see if he's homozygous or heterozygous for black.

Beautiful foal and mare.

Thank you rabbitsfizz for posting pictures!

The grandsire of this colt is my black and white LWO+ stallion...so I am pretty sure this guy is LWO+....I was wondering about the smokey black...one of my other colts is most certainly black...but this one was more smokey looking...which is why I was uncertain of the color....

Thanks for posting the pictures....by the way...both the mare and colt are for sale..

Becky

I chased this pedigree to source and can find no Cream, or indication that Cream could have hidden, even in the Appy, although that pedigree is very short.....

I think that the blue eyes come from the Splash, but I would never be one to say do not test for LWO.

Latest posts

Back