What should I do? or What can I do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coon Creek Miniatures

Reaction score
Ok here is what happen.....Back in Nov I traded two horses for an English bulldog. Even trade considering the dog is worth $2000.00. I took the dog and her papers an the dog has been with me since then and the dog is in my name. I gave the lady the papers for the horses and she was coming back in a couple days to get them. Well, she still has not gotten them. I have called and emailed many times and she doesnt answer. When she does answer she gives me a date and then that falls through. These horses are at a friends house and she needs them gone. At what point can you consider them abandend? Any help would be great.

Is she being charged for board? She should be. I would send a certified letter, and follow up by email and a phone call, that as of today, there is going to be a DAILY charge for board of $XX.XX per day. I would call her and let her know that the official notice is going out in the mail also, but that it takes effect immediately.

She is getting free board and feed for these horses. I would wonder what kind of responsible (???) home these horses are going to.

Also, you should be able to put a 'feed lein' on these horses after a certain time (contact your law enforcement or livestock board) if she does not pay the bill. I would accept CASH only, as a check can bounce or be cancelled.

Time to get firm! How much time has gone by?
default_unsure.png
:

I think i would send a registered letter spelling out the detailed time that the horses need to be transported along with a written contract for her to sign with a dated request for the return of the contract, keep a copy, and talk it over with a legal representative just to be on the safe side. Or did you have a contract already signed?

Its been six weeks.....I have know this lady for awhile so no contract was drawn up. I figured on sending a certified letter just wanted to see if that was the way to go. Thanks

[SIZE=18pt]No matter how long you know somebody......CONTRACTS have to be done. Its the people that think they know us best who will most likely take advantage of your kindness because ....after all, what are friends for????? I found that out the hard way years ago.....your friends can abuse your friendship . Anyway I would also send a certified letter saying that if the horse are not moved within say 2 weeks of reciept of the letter that board will be charges at X rate per day INCLUDING back board for the past 6 weeks. And, If the boad bill gets to exceed say 1000. or the cost of one horse, that horse will be sold and monies recieved kept by your friend as payment for the board..... when another 1000 passes.....same thing. [/SIZE]

Good luck and take it as a lesson even with friends or should I say especially with friends contracts are necessary.

Lyn

I would do as others suggest and send a certified letter stating that you are owed back board as well as furture board for X amount of time and then the horses WILL be sold. Although you have given paperwork over to the "new owner" so remember the value of the horses has severely decreased if you are not able to get those papers back!! I wouldn't allow it to get up to the "value" of a registered horse..that's for sure!

I would call the person up and let her know how you feel - that you don't want to have to take any more serious action but that your friend can no longer keep the horses there. If she doesn't come by the end of the week, you will be forced to take actions to repossess and/or recover boarding costs.

A conversation is always a good place to start. If it doesn't work, there are several good ideas on where to go from there.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back