WHAT PATTERN WOULD YOU CALL MY NEW SHETLAND?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celeste

Reaction score
I am about to acquire this 5yo shetland mare in about a fortnight. She has blue eyes. I just can't wait and to those of you that said that shetlands are addictive, well you couldn't be more right
default_yes.gif

I would, ideally, like to breed her with my chestnut shetland and if so what colour is the foal likely to be? I intend to keep the foal irrespective of what colour or sex it is.

Here are some photos of the mare, I would appreciate if you would clarify what the name of her pattern is, am I right in thinking that she is a pinto?

ANNIE1.jpg

ANNIE.jpg

ok i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. She is a chestnut pinto..there for a "red". If your stallion is a chestnut he's also a "red". Red X Red will only produce red.. there for you will only have a solid chestnut foal or a Chestnut pinto (depending on how the genes play).

Edited to ad if the stallion is the one you posted below he is a flaxen chestnut so most definatly a "red". I would say the foal will most definatly be chestnut but can't really tell you coat "pattern".

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto to what Boinky said.
default_yes.gif

Pattern wise your mare appears to have at least two pinto patterns - Tobiano and Splash White. The blue eye and the face white are the result of Splash but her overall body pattern is primarily the result of Tobiano. Unless she is homozygous tobiano you can expect that she will pass her tobiano pattern 50% of the time. She will also pass on Splash White 50% of the time but unless bred to another Splash White she won't produce a full pattern Splash White (she exhibits heterozygous Splash White markings - Splash is an incomplete dominant and two copies are required for this pattern to produce a foal that would be considered a "pinto").

Lewella

Thank you so much for your help, Lewella....it's all making sense now. Thanks Boinky, very much appreciated.
default_smile.png

Back