What other product is as good as Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try adding a bran, like rice bran, although I believe it contains way more fat. Its tough because beet pulp is the perfect filler.

Most of the senior feeds are high in beet pulp. Read some labels and visit websites to get one with the most in it that you can. This will help get that product to them and will more than likely cost you less than the straight BP. It's an alternative......if you want them to have more BP, at least you have compensated for a large portion within this feed.

Just a thought.

Do you have a source for Blue Seal feeds? They sell a 50# bag of pelleted pulp in the USA, I just pd $12.95 for that. You can soak it longer to get the same product as the flaked, also no molasses, but IMO it's the best buy as it will fluff to about 5X the volume of the compressed pellets! Mine will eat it dry....just don't feed it that way to one who cannot chew well or who bolts their feed. Obviously if it gets stuck in the pipes it can be a vet bill. Depends upon how your horse is fed, alone or with a bunk feeder, several animals and all that type of thing.

In my opinion there is no replacement for beet pulp. Most of mine get just beet pulp & oats. They are have gotten to be "such" easy keepers they DO NOT need grain! Beet pulp is the ONLY thing that will fill a horse out threw thier back and places they need (especially for showing) it gives a horse a topline. But also the beet pulp distributes the nutrients/feed threw out the body where needed.

In my opinion there is no replacement for beet pulp. Most of mine get just beet pulp & oats. They are have gotten to be "such" easy keepers they DO NOT need grain! Beet pulp is the ONLY thing that will fill a horse out threw thier back and places they need (especially for showing) it gives a horse a topline. But also the beet pulp distributes the nutrients/feed threw out the body where needed.
Not to be picky, but oats are grain.

Nothing can really take the place of beet pulp as it is a very unique feed product. However, if you can find them grass hay pellets or cubes are good feed (Ontario Dehy makes very nice hay cubes and I think pellets too).

Yes, oats are grain, and I would have to disagree that beet pulp is the only thing that will round out a topline. We have no problem in filling out toplines, and we haven't bought a bag of beet pulp in almost 30 years. I bought it then for a horse I got that was very skinny and run down. We weren't impressed with the results we got with him and have never used it since. I can't even tell you what it sells for here, or if it sells here.

Life IS possible without beet pulp.
default_smile.png

I like the Frontrunner products--I expect they are available in your area? I don't use a lot of pelleted feed, but when I do buy pellets I buy their 12, 14 or 16%, depending who it is for. I'm sure they have a senior feed (haven't checked or used a senior feed but assume they have that). I know they do have Cool Command, which is a low starch/low sugar feed that is high in beet pulp. I've used a couple bags of it but my horses weren't thrilled with it (as I know they wouldn't be with beet pulp either) and I no longer buy it--the horses I tried on it are now getting oats instead. The Cool Command is $12 a bag here, and I'd hope it's not a lot different there.

I also agree that beet pulp is not the only way to fill a top line. I have never used beet pulp. Not saying I never would, but hadn't heard of it until we had been raising minis for a while and have good luck with a mixture that was set up for us by a vet when we first started with minis 12 years ago. We have it mixed at the local feed mill. As a rule, we will raise or lower the amount we feed to add or maintain or cut weight on a horse. We have raised and shown several to National champion with it and a national reserve grand champion and two congress grand champions. for this reason, I have no idea if beet pulp is available or what the price is here.

Dannigirl,

Can you tell us what is in your mix? I'm always looking for just the right thing :)

Susan O.

Dannigirl,
Can you tell us what is in your mix? I'm always looking for just the right thing :)

Susan O.
I will have to look and find a receipt because it is a list of a bunch of things including--but not limited to--cracked corn, oats (over 1/2 oats) wheat bran, and some other stuff. I can list when I find a receipt so will have to look one up. I don't keep good track of them because the mill will print a full year of my stuff for taxes, so I don't have to worry. It does make an 800 lb batch, but you have to remember that I am usually feeding up to 35 animals in my barn at any given time so that is about 10 to 15 days worth for me.

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
Angie,

I'd love to see it when you find it. :)

I used to have over 30 but am down to 23 in my base herd now.

I'm always interested in seeing what works for different people.

Thanks!

Susan O.

I think it depends on what you are using the beet pulp for. If it's to stretch hay, I think hay cubes are a better choice. Also know that many complete senior feeds already contain beet pulp... might be a way for you to get it in them.

My primary use of beet pulp is for the additional hydration, esp. in winter. I do feed it year round, just less in summer. It is a 'good' kind of fiber and therefore, good for their digestive health in that way, too.

My 'easy keepers' generally get less than my one or two who really need the 'possibility of adding weight' benefits. Rather that use hay cubes to 'stretch' hay, I'd rather invest in something that will slow down their ingestion of hay, making it take them longer to eat it, and therefore, 'feeding it' into their digestive systems in a way that more closely approximates the way they would 'take it in' while grazing. This would allow the same amount of hay to keep a horse 'happier' and more satisfied, IMO.

There is a website, from Sweden, that outlines ideas to build feeders with QUITE SMALL openings to limit the speed at which a horse can eat hay...a notion I had YEARS ago, but just never sat down to work out the finer points of...
default_sad.png
--but this website offers ideas and experiences of those who've used the idea to design their own. I don't know how to retrieve it without losing this post, but if there are those of you who'd like it, I'll come back and add it to this post.

I do know that the price of beet pulp has escalated steeply here, also....thankfully, I now use less than a 50# bag/month, and bought two last time, so haven't priced it REAL recently...but the trend was sharply upwards then, and probably more so now....

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its not going to save tons of money - I believe last time I got some it was 20.95 a bag (for 50 lbs) I've also seen some place only sell 40 lbs of beat pulp...

but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ultium by Purina

its main ing is beat pulp and I don't have to worry about soaking or choke with it - I feed a mix of this and alfa pellets with some coastal hay and really like the results

it also has great stuff in there like soy oil, flaxseed and rice bran so I am not top dressing with a coat conditioner like many feeds Ive used before

Another big plus for me is it states exactly what is in the feed - unlike alot that state by product this and that... which means they can change ingredients on some level without your knowing about it

Crude Protein [min]............................. 11.7%

Crude Fat [min]............................. 12.4%

Crude Fiber [max]............................ 18.5%

Calcium [Ca] [min]............................. 0.85%

Calcium [Ca] [max]............................. 1.00%

Phosphorus [P] [min]............................. 0.500%

Copper [Cu] [min]............................. 65.00 ppm

Selenium [se] [min]............................. 0.500 ppm

Selenium [se] [max]............................. 0.600 ppm

Zinc [Zn] [min]............................. 240 ppm

Vitamin A [min]............................. 5000.00 iu/lb

INGREDIENTS:

Dried Beet Pulp, Wheat Middlings, Stabilized Rice Bran, Ground Soybean Hulls, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Ground Oat Hulls, Ground Corn, Soybean Oil, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Flaxseed, Dried Whey, Calcium Lignin Sulfonate, Cane Molasses, Salt, DL-Methionine, Thiamine, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Citric Acid, Iron Oxide, Natural Flavor, DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Selenite, Choline Chloride, Cyanocobalamin, Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Tryptophan, L-Threonine, Vitamin A Acetate, Ferrous Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Oxide, Riboflavin, Cholecalciferol, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate.

Ruminant Meat And Bone Meal Free.

Latest posts

Back