What other Arts/Crafts do you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
What other crafts do you enjoy now or in the past other than the ones you have already posted here about?
default_smile.png

Things I've enjoyed doing (and hope to do again someday) are

stained glass

sculpting (clay)

ceramics

drawing

ink

eggshell art

maybe paint

sewing & beading felt

All I can remember right now LOL

I used to do tons of things.... now, not so much.

Used too....

Make boxes and painted them to store stuff in.

Made a checker board (Planned on making more but never got around to it)
Drop spindles for lace weight roving

Used to make Native American earrings and painted feathers.

Did a lot of other things too.

Still spin yarn at times. Specially when I need some calm.

I am planning on making some curtains for the kitchen, from an old lace table cloth. Hopefully will start on that, this weekend.

Need to get the fencing buttoned up first, before I start anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make dolls and use vintage linens for the clothes. Used to do a lot of it and had a good clientel, but moving and life changes slowed it down. I still like to recycle; lately I've made make-do pin cushions out of cups, sugar bowls, lamp parts. They are stuffed with raw wool, which I think makes the best stuffing ever. A local lamb raiser gives me the raw wool. Boy, is it a mess! Cleaning it enough to use for stuffing is a messy, outdoor job. Also like to fabricate paperweights out of vintage door knobs and various things. My "stash" is old scrap iron, wood, architectural baubles, feedsacks, and linens.

I also made miniatures for my dollhouse vignette roomboxes--all made of salvaged stuff, of course.

This is my Make-Do Motto: Use it up; make it do; wear it out; do without. Drives my husband crazy! When I bring a load home from an old farm auction he is in a bad mood until I get it all sorted and out of sight. He can hardly stand all that dirty, ugly junk. But wait! What is this cool thing! A magnetic tool for retrieving lost screws in an auto engine? A useful plumbing fitting?

I weave, sew, quilt, make beaded and wire wrapped jewelry, and crochet.

Lois

I've always wanted to quilt! And have always been interested in weaving
default_smile.png

Hi Robin,

There are directions on the internet to make looms. Some are made from cardboard. You might be interested in looking and seeing what people make on the smaller ones and see if you would be interested in learning that way. The larger looms take up quite a bit of room, so may not be practical for everyone; so it is best to learn on smaller looms and work your way up to the larger ones. Beading looms look like a fun way to weave also. I would like to try that someday.

And quilting is fun and it is easy to learn from videos online or just trial and error. Just a matter of thinking "I can do this" and "this is what I want it to look like" and figuring out how to make it look that way.

Both quilting and weaving are fun and there are no set rules as if it turns out how you imagined it, it was the right way to do it! Of course, there are many who also offer classes to teach others their chosen techniques. The biggest advantages of classes is you do learn a proven technique and it can save time compared to the times when things don't work out the way you imagined then would. lol

Lois

Last edited by a moderator:
Classes and lessons won't happen for me. But I am getting mentally fired up again wanting to make a quilt. I only want to handsew a double wedding ring quilt like my great grandma did.

Latest posts

Back