What makes a top breeder to you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Lisa~

Reaction score
I was having this discussion with a friend thought I would open it up here.

What makes someone a top breeder? Is it the size of the actual farm? The number of foals they have a year? The length of time they have been breeding? The ability to produce color consistently? How well those horses do in the show ring?

I had someone discussing this with me they are large horse people and not breeders and are looking for a couple of pet minis. They have been dealing with plenty of breeders and all claim to be "good" which is very subjective lol. So she asked me well what makes one a good breeder compared to someone down the road.

For me it is not the amount of foals put out although I do realize sometimes it takes 20 foals born to get those 2-4 outstanding ones. It has nothing to do with length of time breeding I have seen those doing it for years that refuse to make any changes- For me I would have to say it is the consistency of the foals and how well those foals do in the show ring consistently. I realize not ever breeder shows but there is no disputing there are certain names associated with winning in the show ring year after year.

If a breeder has had only 10 foals ever but 1- 2 have been in the show ring doing something over the years that means more to me then the breeder who puts out 100+ foals and has one or 2 out there showing. Might not be fair but it is just my first and honest opinion.

Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer a smaller breeder. It doesn't mean I wont look at the bigger breeders but will often choose a smaller breeder.

With consistent foals. Not necessarily people who show as often Im able to find a diamond in the rough.

I want someone who is Honest and forth coming. Not someone I have to drag all the information out of with pointed questions.

A farm that consistently produces horses winning at the National / Congress level (National Champions...Grand Champions ext). I do not think it has anything to do with numbers as much as it does quality and consistency in QUALITY, conformation and pedigree.

Consistency in quality, conformation, and show ring success. As well as a breeder that is constantly looking to improve on their foals and stands behind what they market, sell, and show.

As other have said, consistency is one of my main goals - I strive to produce top quality horses that can compete competitively on the National/World level year after year. I do have to say that I breed mainly for myself, and tend to not follow the current "soup du jour" so to speak. In the end, I want to be able to look out at MY pasture of horses and be proud of each and every one of them, know their history, and have a good feeling for what they will be able to produce. It is an ever evolving door, but the changes that have come about in the miniature horse industry should make all breeders proud of what we have attained and for those with enough fortitude to handle the challenge to improve I say: Go for it!

I would look at the farms who are consistantly producing good foals that are winning in the show rings locally and Nationaly, handled by their owners or people who bought them.

Many of the big farms can afford to hire a trainer. As we all know, shows are political. Big farms win often because of who is on the end of a lead. (I am not saying their horses are not nice, they are, but if you produce 100 foals and have only 2 or 3 that can make it in the show ring and need a trainer to boot, your breeding program needs to be redefined. How many big farms have sold foals to people who can not afford to hire a trainer and the horses still do well in the show ring? Not many.

Therefore, I would look at the smaller farms where they are taking their own horses out and still come home with the ribbons.

I agree that consistency is key, but consistent IMPROVEMENT is better. I don't necessarily look at the current "winners" as much as I look at what the current winners look like and do I like them or not. I have to agree with Stacey, we should all be able to look out at our pasture and LIKE WHAT WE SEE whether it ever sets foot in the ring, and like Endlevel there are alot of diamonds in the rough out there! I also agree w/Riverdance, I like to see who is on the lead of that winner, is it the flavor of the year trainer or the owner/operator going out and letting the world see what they are producing. Quantity does not make a top breeder, tenure at breeding does not make a top breeder, but rather the individual who is discriminating about what mares they will breed, and what stallion will best mix to make a top individual rather than the stallion with the most pedigree. JMHO

Again a breeder who has bred top quality show horses and are consistent at what they do and for me its both halter and driving. Its even better if they show the horses themselves. I'm not talking about going out there and buy horses and say I have winning show horses, no, its out of your own breeding, period. They also have to have good selective breeding. Not just any mini they see and say ok I'll buy it and breed it. They don't have to have 100 foals born every year, I like it that breeders actually take the time and enjoy these minis and bond with them. Its a turn off for me when I see horses that run and hide.

I know I'm not a top breeder, I may have trained some nice horses that have done well, but I haven't had one yet that I have personally produced and done well in the show ring. I hope in the next few years that may change. It may take some time, and some money, but thats what it takes.

Consistency in quality, conformation, and show ring success. As well as a breeder that is constantly looking to improve on their foals and stands behind what they market, sell, and show.
Absolutely! Honestly and Integrity.......without it you don't rate a second look no matter who you are or what you breed. Big Farm.....Small Farm.....doesn't matter.

Consistency for me is the key word. Quality over the long run in conformation and performance ability produced by the folks that year after year prove their breeding program in the show ring.
default_yes.gif

But closely behind that are honesty, integrity and tenure in the breed. It means a lot to me to know I can ask a question and get an honest answer, without having to worry about there being a hidden agenda.
default_thumbup.gif
default_worshippy.gif

And someone that can explain things such as long range plans for the breeding program of their farm, bloodlines that make up the farms breeding program and talk openly about past successes and failures. To me it indicates a working knowledge of genetics and planning. It never ceases to amaze me how many farms do not do their homework and try different combinations in a hit and miss fashion. Thereby producing large numbers of "misses" when they did not have to, if only they had done their research and homework.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif

And I look for one who cares about nutrition from day one until the last day! A healthy horse is important to me. Handling with kind discipline is necessary, too.

I kind of have to dissagree with the Statement "Producers of national/Congress level horses". We all know what it costs to show a horse. So then I guess a top breeder would be someone that can afford to keep their horses out in the show ring. I am really sure that if you have horses that take 15th out of 10 horses (yeh I did say it the way I ment it). You know, a horse that should never leave the barn. You are not going to put that kind of horse out in the ring. I think a top breeder is someone that can breed quality horses (if it is 1 foal a year or 100 per year) most of the foals are free of health or genitic defects. Not the show record. To me a show record just says you have the money go to the shows.I feel like I have some quality horses that take 1st and we were only able to go to one show this year because of $. Or lack there of. That doesn't mean if I breed my horses I am not breeding quality horses. Am I a top breeder? Well, I guess the answer to that would have to be no because of all of the excess horses I havent had a foal in 2 years now. Well, maybe on second thought maybe I am for not breeding.

And someone that can explain things such as long range plans for the breeding program of their farm, bloodlines that make up the farms breeding program and talk openly about past successes and failures. To me it indicates a working knowledge of genetics and planning. It never ceases to amaze me how many farms do not do their homework and try different combinations in a hit and miss fashion. Thereby producing large numbers of "misses" when they did not have to, if only they had done their research and homework.
Yes! This is what I was going to say. for me a top breeder has be able to plan his/her breedings. I see so many breeders that have been in the business for years & years and by now should have a herd of outstanding horses.....but don't. They have some nice ones, but very few that are outstanding, and there are lots of "misses" as said above.
A big breeder once said to me "gee, you put a lot of thought into your breedings--I just breed" and I think that is true of so many breeders

Honesty and integrity are tops for me, and next is how they treat their horses. Of course, I want quality, but I want to judge that myself. I don't really care if a horse has been shown, or has National Titles, as long as it has the quality to be shown (or bred). I may not necessarily agree with all the judges out there, but it is important to me to feel like I have "winners" when I see them in the pasture. There are lots of reasons why some breeders don't show and it doesn't necessarily mean they have lower quality horses. I don't care if the farm is big or small or new or old, but I do believe you can get better deals at the smaller farms if you know what to look for. And then we get back to integrity and honesty.....

Hmmm, I would say some one with a nice very well conformed horses, with good temperments, that are well cared for, and have desireable colors and bloodlines, and consistentely win in the showring.

But, I dont think that a good farm needs to excel in the showring. I think all thats inprotant is farms with good conformation, good temperments, and that are well cared for and have good colors and bloodlines.

That is just my honest opinion.

Katian I agree to an extent not everyone has the means or ability to show however those that do show know what they are looking for and truly know what does well in the ring. It is one thing for people to say show quality and another for the horse to truly be competitive. In fact most ads say show quality when it is not always the case.

Many breeders who can not show due to schedule or finances offer great incentives or deals to those that do so they can get their horses out there in the show ring.

I have seen some ads that say LOCAL shwo quality and there is nothing wrong with that - in many areas that is different then National quality and I personally applaud a breeder who can see the difference. Many people are more then happy going to a couple local shows a year that is more then ok
default_laugh.png
and there is a market for those horses as well.

edited to add

Actually a larger market for horses that can be competitive on the local level then the National one I think- and in most areas that means to me anyway the breeder is breeding consistent quality horses that just might not be as typey as needed for the National ring

Last edited by a moderator:
To me a show record just says you have the money go to the shows.
I strongly disagree with that. We are just a tiny farm but we do show and sometimes it is very hard to come up with the money to get our guys and girls out there. But I feel strongly that I have to put that time and money in my herd to be sure I am on the right track with what I am breeding. Its not only the money investment but I think a lot of people that dont show have no idea the amount of time and work it takes to show a horse. There is nothing better in my book then showing a homegrown horse and winning or placing.

Good Topic. To me, top breeders concentrate more on their mare lines that have consistently produced well for them. They then save daughters and granddaughters and of those mares to be their foundation.

So many farms and trainers put a title on a stallion then breed a bunch of whatever mares and sell the bred mares or offspring riding off that title.

I also look to see if a farm does a lot of jockeying. Buying a mare and just breeding her for resale is not breeding in my opinion.

KayKay,

boy I agree with your statement about showing what you breed and the work that goes into getting a horse ready for the ring. Folks that have never experienced the work prior to the show as far as fitting, conditioning and training are in for a rude surprise when and if they try to do it themselves.
default_wacko.png

The rewards of planning, breeding, producing and then winning with horse of your own breeding is like nothing else we have ever experienced. Of course we all have to add new bloodlines from outside our farms from time to time and hopefully those are winning bloodlines we add. But the homegrown, win with your own breeding always takes the cake for us.
default_wub.png

The only comparable feeling for us is seeing a horse you have produced do well for someone else in the show ring, which is satisfying also. Knowing what it took to get that particular horse on the ground and having the fun of watching it grow and develop into what you expected it to become is pretty durn cool also.
default_wink.png

A farm that is honest when giving you information about a horse they are selling. A breeder that tries to improve there foals each year in conformation temperament. The horses they have produced are winning in the show ring or doing well at the shows.A breeder that is willing to work with you in payments and who prices the horses they sell honestly as to pet and show quality.A breeder who thinks the horse might go over inheight prices it lower because that is a possibility.A extra bonus if the breeder has pictures or information on bloodlines on the horse they are selling.

Latest posts

Back