what makes a mini a mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
Im new to minis and someone just asked me what the difference is between the small shetland ponies and minis? I really have no idea! So what makes a mini a mini rather then a pony, besides the registration, what are the specifics that make them different then a pony? Thanks!

Estelle,

A mini at this point in time is purely a HEIGHT breed. It is not yet genetic. A miniature horse according to the American Miniature Horse Association is any horse that fits their conformation standards and is 34 inches or under at the last mane hair of the withers. AMHA will recognize all horses/ponies no matter what their genetic background if they fit their registration requirements, however, the Hardshipping is spendy......... According to the American Miniature Horse Registry it can be any horse that measures 38 inches or under with the same standards as AMHA, but they only recognize horses that hold registration papers with AMHR, AMHA, or ASPC (or have parents that do.)

Hope this makes sense. I probably should have typed this out in separate paragraphs so it was easier to read.

MA

It does make sense, simply put:

Any horse under 38" at the withers can be labelled a miniature horse. Anything above 38" at the withers and you have a shetland or pony.

AMHA (American Miniature Horse Association) will only register miniatures that are 34" or UNDER

AMHR (American Miniature Horse Registry) will register any miniature up to 38" and has 2 divisions;

Division A = up to 34"

Division B = 34-38"

=)

Sorry Hoofbeats, I have to disagree with this statement............Anything above 38" at the withers and you have a shetland or pony.

First off minis are measured Last Hair of the mane (dumb but how it is done), and second anything over 38" could be a GRADE pony, but it must have Papers in order to be a Shetland.

I say "shetland or pony" to cover for both registered, or non registered horses taller than 38". There are multiple registries or names or what not for horses above 38", I was just keeping it simple for now =)

AMHR is now closed to harshipping EXCEPT for shetland ponies. So they will not register "any" horse measuring 38" or under.

[SIZE=14pt]AMHR will still accept registered AMHA horses for the Hardshipping as well as ASPC. I guess that wouldnt be hardshipping but rather cross registering. [/SIZE]

Lyn

Im new to minis and someone just asked me what the difference is between the small shetland ponies and minis? I really have no idea! So what makes a mini a mini rather then a pony, besides the registration, what are the specifics that make them different then a pony? Thanks!

The answer is nothing more then the papers really.

Thanks for all the answers...that is what someone told me that basically papers make them mini's other then that ponies...interesting.

Latest posts

Back