What kind of bird Beeps?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Mite Miniatures

Reaction score
We have some birds that have been out back in the pine grove most of the summer. They beep. I never remember hearing a bird make the noise they make before and I am not the only one. Several people have commented on them. I have not been able to get a real good look at them since they stay up in the tops of the pines.

They are smaller then the red tail hawks. Bigger then doves. They might be brown. Their chest are a light color and it looks like they have spots. My husband says they look all white on the underside when they fly. The under part of the tail looks brown but has a white band near the end when it is spread out.

I have spent a lot of time trying to get good look but it is not easy.

Have you ever watched Roadrunner cartoons?????? :bgrin

Somehow tho, in Mass. I doubt it's a roadrunner :eek:

I was gonna say a finch type of bird until I read on and you described how big it was.

Possibly a mockingbird? We have mockingbirds that will mimic(sp?) horns when our friends drive by and beep. They will also mimic the alert tone on our fire department radio channel at work.

Still not sure what it is. It is not a mockingbird. We have plenty of them around and I know what they are. This bird is a lot bigger then a mockingbird.

We are thinking some kind of falcon or small hawk.

Could it be a Sparrow Hawk, really called an American Kestrel? The males have blueish on their wings but the females don't....they are really cool and are really a falcon. Their bellies are white with sorta spots on them, I think the tips of their white feathers actually are brown which gives the impression of spots....they are really pretty and have 2 black stripes that run vertical on their heads...they remind me of a love bird parrot. They also have the white band at the end of their tailfeathers. They don't really "beep" from what I understand they make a "kee, kee, kee" noise when they feel their nest is threatened, I guess that could be kinda close to a "beep". It's a real treat to see one up close.

American Kestrel

American Kestrel aka/American Sparrow-Hawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back