Snow Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
2016-02-05 18.16.33.jpg2016-02-05 18.15.58.jpg

So it has been unseasonably warm here recently. It was 60 degrees yesterday and now today we got about 10" of wet heavy snow. Trees and power lines are down everywhere it is a mess. I was trying to enjoy the pretty white winterscape as it gets pretty dismal here in the winter. Plus, I detest trudging through deep snow to do barn chores, but I was able to snap a few pretty pics and enjoy it for a second until I rounded the corner and found my peacock aviary flat on the ground! The 60x20 cage couldn't stand the snow load. I already cleaned the snow off of it twice today but mother nature beat me to it. I am not usually one to use acronyms but seruously....FML. Atleast my birds were smart enough to fly back into the barn and escaped unhurt. That it what it used to look like. I think that I can salvage a few pieces to make a smaller flight pen for now. The pen has been settling all summer, so it accumulated more snow on one side and the legs on that side all buckled. Atleast the netting can be salvaged that stuff cost me a pretty penny.

2016-02-05 18.15.15.jpg2016-02-05 18.34.06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad the birds were OK. We got heavy snow here in NH. Not a lot, but heavy and sticky. It was pretty though and I took pictures, too. I hope you can get their aviary repaired for them soon.

WOW! I have to admit it is pretty.

It's been a long time since I've seen snow like that and frankly, I don't want to see it in person again here like that. That would cripple this area of our state for MONTHS...
default_sad.png

I'm so glad that your birds are OK. Yes, it does look salvageable.

Do you have power? You didn't say anything else had "gone wrong", so I figure you, your family and the rest of all your critters are OK...

Take care.

We made it thru the storm with power, than at 9pm we lost power, so trudging thru the snow we went to dig out the generator shed, hubby drove his 1086 to the gas station up the road for fuel, since the farm is out until tuesday. Hooked up the generator. Luckily we got power back that morning around 5. Some people still dont have power back yet. Trees and wires are down everywhere. The horses dont mind the snow, but the cows dont want to come out and eat at the bunk, they make ice in their yard so quickly that I keep having to dand it. It is supposed to be warm today so hopefully all of the tin roofs on the barns slide off today. That is the dangerous part, as one row of my stalls is on the outside of the barn and it hets sun all day. Hopefully everyone remembers to oprm the doors to the inside so the snow doesn't rip them off of the hinges tomorrow. More snow tomorrow, tues and wed. We'll hope for the best.

I have a metal roof on my barn and when it let's the snow go, look out! Avalanche time. It's also hard to shovel off if you have to, as it gets slippery. Hope yours has melted off. Four inches forecasted for here tonite and tomorrow. Then it's supposed to flurry for three days.

That looks amazing Amysue. We dont get snow here, we are too far south. It really looks like something out of a fairy tale book.
default_smile.png

Back