What is this on her face?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAM

Reaction score
The beautiful Mill Creek Valley~Prineville, OR
May102007.jpg

The filly is shedding out naturally in this photo. What are these white hairs on her face and chin? They were not there at birth but my friend said they are there now and wanted me to see them before she clipped her. Sire and dam show no roaning and she has no other white hairs on her body.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet it's evidence of the Sabino gene........

MA

PS: BTW - should have mentioned this before, but that little face is PRECIOUS!

Yes, I'd like to know more about these white hairs that appear everywhere. I have a chestnut yearling colt who has a LOT of white hairs throughout his body. There is absolutely no roan horses in his pedigree, his father is buckskin with no white hairs at all, his mother is a chestnut with a strip and snip but no other white.

Will try to find relevant pics, but those white hairs don't show up well on camera.

I agree with MA. We have quite alot of it in our herd. from 2 different mares by 2 different stallions... Both pintos both with lower lip white out of solid coloured mares.

I actually had an arguement when regisitering my filly and have the picture I used on file here.

carmenrego.jpg

I was told she was not sabino roan but silver chestnut....

This is the filly as a yearling

carmen03.jpg

This ones fill sister has white hairs coming though on her face also but is a much darker shade of chestnut.

This is the other mare we have who was the same as a foal

trinity01.jpg

With Stix (im guessing thats who your talking about) I wouldn't be suprised it it has come though from Abby our abby filly who is a half sister to the second horse pictured has ticking and quite alot but nothing like Trinity or Carmen.

Yup
default_yes.gif
: what MA said and that is a very cute face! The white will go away when clipped and the reappear later.

Yes...
default_yes.gif
: That is most definitely Sabino roaning. She may acquire more of it before she is done, too.

Here is a filly we had here a few years ago. She was born totally black...only white was a star & snip.

PeekClippedHeadShotA.jpg

And here is the same filly just a month later! You can see all the roaning on her face & lower legs (even after being clipped!) It even got more intense before we sold her.... face was so roaned, that at a distance, it almost looked like she had a big blaze! :bgrin

PeekRoaningFace1.jpg

I think I might have a sabino colt this year. I was totally unaware dam carried the gene. I guess I will have to wait a while to see what I get color-wise.

Here he is at clip:

ApacheFrontal3.jpg

And then this past Wednesday:

100_1866.jpg

Looks like roaning is all over.

Typically, how long does it take them to "roan-out" to the permanent color? a year, sooner?

I 2nd, that little face is PRECIOUS! What an Adorable Foal you have there.

She has Sabino markings. My Maggie and Theia both have what you discribe.

Though for Maggie, niether registery would allow the word Sabino for her coloring, even though it is there for all to see.

I think I might have a sabino colt this year. I was totally unaware dam carried the gene. I guess I will have to wait a while to see what I get color-wise.

Here he is at clip:

ApacheFrontal3.jpg

And then this past Wednesday:

100_1866.jpg

Looks like roaning is all over.

Typically, how long does it take them to "roan-out" to the permanent color? a year, sooner?
They all roan to various degrees, and at various rates. Some will only roan at a spot or two on the body, while others may roan evenly all over their body. Some will do this right away...and others may continue to acquire more & more roan hairs for years.
default_yes.gif
:

What color are your colt's parents? I only ask because I see lots of white around your colt's eyes...which is one of the first places a horse starts to "gray" if they carry that gene. Is either parent a gray?

The dam is a dun buckskin pinto (listed on the paperwork). She has a light tannish body and black mane and tail- in my avatar. You can still see some white patches on her rear winter and summer from pinto. Baby pics of her she looks the same as she does now on registry papers.

The sire is a 7 YO smoky black- all black with no white hairs at all. The stallion is out of LK White Russian (cremello) and Fishers Black Snickerdoodle- Pics I have seen of her -she is all black.

The dam is out of a black and white pinto mare and a golden palomino stallion-very golden red in pics I have seen.

I don't see any "grey" listed in pedigrees of either one. I know some horses grey at different times but most of these adult horses are older and should have shown the grey gene by now-right?

The dam is a dun buckskin pinto (listed on the paperwork). She has a light tannish body and black mane and tail- in my avatar. You can still see some white patches on her rear winter and summer from pinto. Baby pics of her she looks the same as she does now on registry papers.

The sire is a 7 YO smoky black- all black with no white hairs at all. The stallion is out of LK White Russian (cremello) and Fishers Black Snickerdoodle- Pics I have seen of her -she is all black.

The dam is out of a black and white pinto mare and a golden palomino stallion-very golden red in pics I have seen.

I don't see any "grey" listed in pedigrees of either one. I know some horses grey at different times but most of these adult horses are older and should have shown the grey gene by now-right?
Yep....one of the parents would have to be gray to pass that on to the colt. So, you can be assured there is nothing more than Sabino roaning going on.
default_yes.gif
:

I'm finally able to get around to reading your posts. Thank you! I will pass the information along. This is our first filly out of our stallion Incredible (a buckskin) and out of our palomino pinto mare. She is at our trainer's being bred back to Incredible who is in training there. He doesn't show any signs of roaning. Could mom hide it then being a palomino pinto? Here are two photos of mom...the first showing a head shot with her clipped and pregnant with the foal in question.
default_wub.png
: The second, another pregnant pasture shot
default_rolleyes.gif
: so you can see her natural shed out coloring. Do any of these photos indicate sabino in mom?

Splash2.jpg

Splash.jpg

With Stix (im guessing thats who your talking about) I wouldn't be suprised it it has come though from Abby our abby filly who is a half sister to the second horse pictured has ticking and quite alot but nothing like Trinity or Carmen.
Yes, it's Stix. And I did think it was most likely to be the Abby side of the family, but his mother doesn't have all this ticking. Just him.

Here's a pic, there's quite a bit around his hindquarters, and then there's those little white patches!!?? And the odd Bend Or spot (front leg). Hope this doesn't come out too large. He's got a lot of white hairs on his face too.

stixwhitehairs.jpg

I'm finally able to get around to reading your posts. Thank you! I will pass the information along. This is our first filly out of our stallion Incredible (a buckskin) and out of our palomino pinto mare. She is at our trainer's being bred back to Incredible who is in training there. He doesn't show any signs of roaning. Could mom hide it then being a palomino pinto? Here are two photos of mom...the first showing a head shot with her clipped and pregnant with the foal in question.
default_wub.png
: The second, another pregnant pasture shot
default_rolleyes.gif
: so you can see her natural shed out coloring. Do any of these photos indicate sabino in mom?

Splash2.jpg

Splash.jpg

YES
default_yes.gif
: . In her first photo, you can see she has chin white...which is a definite indicator for Sabino.

What many don't understand....is that Sabino does not ALWAYS cause roaning. For instance, Sabino is thought to be the biggest factor in putting facial white & white socks on otherwise solid horses. There are several different types of Sabino. Sabino is probably the most common "pattern" gene there is, and many horses carry it , unrecognized by their owners. Some Sabinos in maximum form can be solid white. Others can be wildly colored pintos with lots of jagged edged & roan spots. Sabinos in minimal form, may have nothing more than some facial white & white stockings.
default_yes.gif
: Sabinos can also have belly white & blue eyes...but not always.

Latest posts

Back