What is this Mustard yellow fluid from mare???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickhorses

Reaction score
Ok, I have foaled minis for several years now and never had one with fluid this color so I am a little concerned. I have a mare I got in March that is due to foal around July 5th - give or take a week. She is already soft around her rump and her tail bone is more evident. Her vulva is not as loose as it could be and her bag is tight but only half full. When I went to milk fluid out of her, I got this mustard yellow colored thick fluid - it is not sticky at all and does not have a smell to it. I am only getting this fluid out of one teat. The other teat is just giving me clear and runny fluid. I have never had this color of fluid come from a mare before - should I be concerned? The vet is coming out tomorrow to ultrasound a couple mares so I will have her look at it but I was hoping someone here has any ideas of what it could be or have had this happen before?

It sounds like mastitis from your description. With your vet coming tomorrow, you'll certainly want her to check it out. She will likely put your mare on antibiotics. Let us know what she says.

It sounds like mastitis from your description. With your vet coming tomorrow, you'll certainly want her to check it out. She will likely put your mare on antibiotics. Let us know what she says.
See that is what I thought too, but from what I read online, she doesn't have any of the main symptoms. Her bag is not hot to the touch and she is not ouchy when you touch it. I thought that mastitis was only in mares that were nursing a foal or have just weaned a foal? Can a mare get it that is almost 11 months pregnant?

See that is what I thought too, but from what I read online, she doesn't have any of the main symptoms. Her bag is not hot to the touch and she is not ouchy when you touch it. I thought that mastitis was only in mares that were nursing a foal or have just weaned a foal? Can a mare get it that is almost 11 months pregnant?
A mare can get mastitis at any time. It's a bacterial infection so it's not impossible. I've had a mare with mastitis that showed no symptom other than a swollen udder on one side. She never acted painful. It's a good thing your vet is coming tomorrow as you do want that seen and treated if indeed it turns out to be mastitis.

Vet just left and she said she thinks it is just reminents of mastitis. But she wanted to go ahead and treat it just in case. So she gave me a syringe of this antibiotic that you actually put inside the teat. So we did a dose today and I am suppose to do another dose in a couple days. She doesn't think it is anything to worry about. I am so relieved though!

Glad you had the vet check her out and she's being treated! You sure dont want any problems later!!!

Latest posts

Back