what is the best type of halter when training your mini to lead properly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi. Tilly is now 12 months old - and although she will lead forward - she runs ahead and is very stubborn. I have done a search on this site and everybody has talked about getting the horse to feel "pressure" on their halter - but what type of halter is best - is it a rope halter? Bobby is more controlled - i.e he will walk with you but Tilly is an absolute nutter - i.e, she is running the roost at the moment and is drivin me nuts. Also, when we take them out for a walk - given she is not very well behaved - would it better if I trained her on her own - i.e, leave Bob in his paddock and then she is less distracted - although he will be freaking out at home due to separation anxiety issues!!! Cheers, Kerrie

A nylon halter that fits properly should be good enough for a young horse. If she is pulling ahead then I would try doing lots of serpentines and keep her on a tighter lead. This will slow her down b/c she can no longer go straight. You can also ask her to walk over small poles laid on the ground. She'll have to slow down for those too. If this does not work, then you can add a chain to the lead, but I don't like to use those on my younger horses. Good luck!

Back